The Irreverent Air Cooled Rebuild Adventure.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

The Irreverent Air Cooled Rebuild Adventure.

Post by Jivermo » Wed May 14, 2014 11:36 am

And so the grand adventure begins. I heard an excellent interview, today, with Phillip Petit, the man who walked the highwire between the twin towers in New York in 1974. Mr. Petit, who is now 63, is a proponent of "surprising yourself". He continually challenges himself with new projects and experiences, and sounds like someone who ought to own an aircooled vehicle, preferably a bus. He struck a chord with me, and I ordered a copy of his new book, "Creativity, The Perfect Crime." If you are wondering what this has to do with an engine build, it is my current surprise to myself. The last time I rebuilt an engine, it was that of a 1959 MGA Coupe, and I had pulled the engine two weeks before I was to go into the US Army, October of 1967. Talk about pressure. I got it back together, and returned two years later to learn that my girlfriend had sold the car for 60 dollars. Arrrrrggg!
Here is what is on my barn floor right now. The Mini Cooper now goes faster than my bus, and has better paint. I picked up an engine stand, and have ordered the VW yolk as suggested by pals on this forum. I've bought some tools I did not have, in order to facilitate the work. I read Tom Wilson's book, and I have even watched Raby's video on a type 4 rebuild, which I rather enjoyed. I figure every tip I can get will help me with this thing. The one important point I have gleaned is the importance of cleanliness. I now start the task of devoting and developing an area of my barn workspace for this foray into Pellucidar. I shall keep you informed of the journey...let's see the extent of damage that this spun thrust bearing may have wrought. Hang on.

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: The Irreverent Air Cooled Rebuild Adventure.

Post by energyturtle » Wed May 14, 2014 4:47 pm

How did the engine drop go without pulling the tranny? The four motors I have dropped all were pulled with the tranny attached for servicing. Any tips and or tricks would be greatly appreciated. I start my own endeavour Saturday, and I am somewhat curious about the engine sliding forward enough to clear the input shaft on the transaxle before lowering it down and out. :scratch:

Scottie

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Wed May 14, 2014 5:44 pm

We pulled the engine with the trans. One of the projects was to put in a bearing plate retainer in the nose cone, which we did. I had a lot of slop in the shifter-the plastic ball on the hockey stick was toast, so we replaced that as well.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 14, 2014 6:17 pm

Jivermo wrote:We pulled the engine with the trans. One of the projects was to put in a bearing plate retainer in the nose cone, which we did. I had a lot of slop in the shifter-the plastic ball on the hockey stick was toast, so we replaced that as well.
He would have already known that had he read our fascinating and entertaining stories . . .

viewtopic.php?f=68&t=12021#p207401

. . . and looked at our informative and exceedingly beautiful photo-documentary:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Post by energyturtle » Thu May 15, 2014 4:32 am

I read it word for word, as I do all the posts. As u well know my attention span and ability to read and retain is awful.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Thu May 15, 2014 5:45 am

Suggest that the end play between the fornix and hippocampus requires attention; three shims are required, start looking around for some 0.38-0.42mm shims now, as the older you get, the more critical it becomes...

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 10:55 am

Got the motor on a stand my son in law brought by. Started in on the teardown on Friday.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 10:59 am

The most time consuming part was getting some of the tin screws out. Plenty of Blaster and vice grip work.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 11:01 am

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 11:05 am

This thing was shot...split along the pleats. The pushrod covers were leaking, too, but I was not using much oil. Pretty messy under there.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 11:17 am

Love to see those fins, finally. Colin, if you are bored, come on down.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 12:28 pm

1 and 2 cylinder head. 1 had a head ring installed; 2 did not. I know their use is now discouraged, but why one and not the other? Could that space contributed to the head leak on the other cylinder?

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 12:30 pm

Exposed pistons.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 12:33 pm

Tops of pistons.

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sun May 18, 2014 12:37 pm

Colin had requested this pic. In his unmistakable hand, the marks denote the reason we are all here today, and me yesterday, and the day before. Thrust bearing desires to take a trip around the world, while I had only set my sights on the continental US and Alaska.