IAC wannabe, or, DON'T JUNK THAT BUS!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: IAC wannabe, or, DON'T JUNK THAT BUS!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:19 pm

SlowLane wrote: I also have some of the larger 2240.1019 hose which is a perfect fit for the short piece between the fuel filter and the fuel pump (12mm nipples). If you let me know the length of this piece on your bus I can cut one and sent it to you with a couple of ear clamps.
Thanks for the offers! I'll see what I need on Saturday. I found three feet of 6-bar rated 7.3mm hose with reinforcement at the local VW machine shop today. :cheers: That should get me through the engine bay for diagnosing the no-start. (Oh yeah, it doesn't run…)

Question: Does the 10mm filter-to-pump hose need to be high-pressure rated, even though it's essentially a liquid-transporting vacuum hose?

Picked up a TS2, valve cover gaskets, fuel filter, vacuum line, and more points today for my first, (of many, I assume,) triple digit expense on a car that I don't fully own yet………

:study: Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 6:21 am

asiab3 wrote:
SlowLane wrote: for my first, (of many, I assume,) triple digit expense on a car that I don't fully own yet………

Clearly you're a veteran VW owner to recognize this bolded part.
:compress:

It is scary how much our beloved VW's eat $100 dollar bills. :)
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:45 am

wcfvw69 wrote:It is scary how much our beloved VW's eat $100 dollar bills. :)
Yes, but compare it to other marques which eat $1000 bills just as quickly.
Besides, it's money well spent on entertainment and education, and as I tell my wife, it keeps me off the street and out of the bars. As hobbies go, it could be worse.
Robbie wrote:Question: Does the 10mm filter-to-pump hose need to be high-pressure rated, even though it's essentially a liquid-transporting vacuum hose?
Well, when subject to such close scrutiny, no it doesn't. However, it does have to hold up to today's aggressively corrosive gasoline formulations which reduce ordinary fuel hose to black licorice jelly in no time flat. At least, that's what the J30R9-mongers choose to promulgate. And there is likely a nugget of truth to it.

Me, I got the Cohline 2240.1019 hose (which is 11.5mm ID) because I was installing the 7mm hose everywhere else on the car, and the old 12mm section was looking rather tatty. I ended up with a meter of the stuff because Pelican only sells it in meter increments. Turned out that the extra hose came in handy when I swapped out my clogged fuel tank for a later model that had the 12 mm outlet, so now I have a big fat pipe directly from the tank to the pump, which helps to keep the fuel pump happy and well provisioned. I had previously converted from the pre-pump filter to the post-pump filter found on the later Vanagons.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:41 am

wcfvw69 wrote:
asiab3 wrote:
SlowLane wrote: for my first, (of many, I assume,) triple digit expense on a car that I don't fully own yet………

Clearly you're a veteran VW owner to recognize this bolded part.
:compress:

It is scary how much our beloved VW's eat $100 dollar bills. :)
Yes, especially when you devote part of your vacation money to NOS parts you find in Germany.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:36 am

asiab3 wrote:Wish I was in Portland with a contingent of willing folks to drink beer while I worked.... Any members here near North Los Angeles are invited, Saturday evening 6pm!
I can't make it for obvious logistical issues, but I pinged Xelmon to see if he might be free Saturday evening. Not sure exactly where he *lives* these days, but he *works* in Hawthorne right next to the airport .. I think he's at some kind of design studio for a company called Tesla or something...
:cyclopsani:
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:42 am

Bleyseng wrote:Yes, especially when you devote part of your vacation money to NOS parts you find in Germany.
Is that how it's supposed to work? :scratch: I spent part of my vacation money in Germany on a nice set of Matador wrenches, a hatchet, several sets of metric drill bits and a few metric tape measures. Oh, and currywurst at the Autostadt. :bootyshake:

I didn't think I was doing it wrong...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 10:59 am

Does anybody have a link or pictures of the this corrosive fuel damage to the rubber fuel lines? There's lot of internet chatter on how corrosive these fuel mixes are from the ethanol in gas. I've yet to see any damage to any rubber parts on my fuel systems the last 5 years. I read where it wipes out fuel pump diaphragms, eats rubber fuel hose and screws up gaskets in carburetors. I run the German fabric covered fuel line my all my VW's. I usually change it out every few years. I've yet to cut the old hose inside and see any obvious damage from the fuel. I've also never experienced any fuel pump or carb issues either.

There's several mechanics with decades of experience that think it's totally BS. They are not buying into it.
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:05 pm

@ Fuel line: Low permeability is always a good property to have, especially with alcohol in the fuel!

@ Asiab / Tris: Usually I am down in the beach cities/Hawthorne area... However I'll be heading up to Portland in a few hours! Ach, such timing!

Otherwise I am definitely game!

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:09 pm

I have lost a carburetor on a 3 year old zero turn mower and I'm fighting currently with a Honda quad due to ethanol fuel.
On the mower the "pop metal" carb disintegrated to a powdery dust over the winter costing me a new carb and on the quad the fuel lines are coming apart on the inside clogging jets. The plastic tank looks great but black chunks keep appearing in the carb. Clean the carb and you get about 15 minutes of run before jets plug up again, the inside of the fuel lines are toast.
I have not seen affects from daily driving but I now buy the $5.00 a gallon non-ethanol fuel for vehicles that sit for long periods and always switch to non-ethanol fuel at the end of mowing season etc.
A $5.00 dollar gallon of fuel is much cheaper than a $250.00 dollar carb.
My 2 cents.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:11 pm

Xelmon wrote:@ Fuel line: Low permeability is always a good property to have, especially with alcohol in the fuel!

@ Asiab / Tris: Usually I am down in the beach cities/Hawthorne area... However I'll be heading up to Portland in a few hours! Ach, such timing!

Otherwise I am definitely game!
Portland, I know that place. In town long?
We should get together for a birthday beverage.
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 12:29 pm

That's it, I'm moving to Portland... :) There will be work parties in Oceanside for sure, in the coming months... :)

Tuesday: Requested flatbed tow truck
Yesterday: Called to confirm flatbed tow truck at 10:30am
Today: Wheel-lift truck shows up at 11:15. (The most punctual tow I've ever seen!) Flatbed is coming at noon......

Fuel lines: I cut open my two year old lines and posted a pic on Samba. Can't find it on my phone currently... (Spoiler alert: They looked fine, but I drive my bus every day. I think that is more key than anything else.)

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 3:56 pm

We have delivery... Mom is excited to see it. Dad said he's going to turn it into a storage unit if I don't get it running in ten days. :bounce:

1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 04, 2016 4:05 pm

asiab3 wrote:We have delivery... Mom is excited to see it. Dad said he's going to turn it into a storage unit if I don't get it running in ten days. :bounce:
Well that gives me a Road Warrioresque pang o' the heart.

Are you going to make it magnificent or only so-so?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Mar 04, 2016 7:21 pm

Congrats Robbie! You got a good deal on it, for sure. I'm looking forward to your updates as you navigate through it's systems..

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:52 am

wcfvw69 wrote:Does anybody have a link or pictures of the this corrosive fuel damage to the rubber fuel lines? There's lot of internet chatter on how corrosive these fuel mixes are from the ethanol in gas. I've yet to see any damage to any rubber parts on my fuel systems the last 5 years. I read where it wipes out fuel pump diaphragms, eats rubber fuel hose and screws up gaskets in carburetors. I run the German fabric covered fuel line my all my VW's. I usually change it out every few years. I've yet to cut the old hose inside and see any obvious damage from the fuel. I've also never experienced any fuel pump or carb issues either.

There's several mechanics with decades of experience that think it's totally BS. They are not buying into it.
Ditto.

Imagine being a mechanic who doesn't know what is wrong with the car. The customer is due to pick it up in fifteen minutes. Explanations fly fast and furious.

I've seen it with fuel injection problems time and again.

Like you, I haven't had ethanol issues. I will say that modern detergent gasoline picks up paint more aggressively than old gasoline which used to polish paint with a nice lead sheen.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles