Renewing "il Pulmino" my 77 Westy

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Monteromano
I'm New!

Renewing "il Pulmino" my 77 Westy

Post by Monteromano » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:24 pm

Hello, this is my first post here - I own a 1977 Westy Deluxe that I purchased on Ebay in 2003.
20140408_190551.jpg

The bus came from a man who bought it from an elderly couple that lived in Barrington, Illinoi near Chicago. According to the packet that contains the owners manual, the bus was purchased in New Jersey.

I purchased the bus in 2003 and by 2005 I had replaced the fuel pump, muffler, heater boxes, vacuum lines,, installed a rebuilt transmission, new shocks, Hancook tires, and a front sway bar.

I also installed a Dakota Digital cylinder temp gauge, and that's how I learned that my cylinder head temps can easily go up to 420 degrees on medium grade hills on the highway. in 2005-6 I tracked down some vacuum leaks, set the idle to 28 degrees total advance with the vac hose off of the distributor, got my injectors cleaned by Cruzin Performance, and ... I still had high temps.

Then in 2008 I moved to Vietnam with my family for a job that I thought would keep me there a couple of years, but we didn't return until the summer of 2013. Living in Vietnam was a great adventure - I commuted every day on a 110 cc Honda Wave or a 125 cc Lifan.

When I moved back to Maryland in the summer of 2013, I pushed the bus out of my garage, changed the oil and gas, put in a fresh battery and it fired right up. Of course all of the braided fuel lines started leaking like crazy the same week as it sat in the driveway. The fact that all of the braided hoses failed almost immediately is clear evidence of the changes that occurred in gasoline formulation while I was overseas. I changed all of the hoses except the short ones on the injectors which weren't braided and were installed by Cruzin Performance. Changing those remaining lines is now the top of my to-do list.

Next week I have an appointment with Colin, and I'm hoping he can point me in the right direction on the high head temps. In the past month I've been replacing as many vacuum hoses as I can. I've also set the valves and timing. This week I swapped in 4 new rebuilt injectors that I got on Amazon for what I thought was a good deal (all 4 delivered for $130). But it was too good to be true - after I installed them, the bus ran on only 2 cylinders. I swapped the position of injector 3 and 4 to see if it was the injector or the wires to it, and that confirmed it was the injector. I put 2 old injectors on and the bus now runs on all 4 cylinders. Lesson learned about bargain prices on parts.

It has been a pleasure to get to know my bus again. Being away from the bus so long, I feel like I am my own PO - I see things that I worked on, and I vaguely remember them from 10 years ago. I have a stash of parts and accessories that I had good intentions about but never got around to installing, like the VDO tach my brother bought for his Vanagaon in 2000, but he gave the tach to me after his Vanagon died on the streets of NYC and he donated it.

It is also interesting to drive the bus today vs. 10 years ago. Back then the buses were rare, now they are so unknown that many younger people have never seen one.

Cheers!

Boxcar
Addicted!

Re: Renewing "il Pulmino" my 77 Westy

Post by Boxcar » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:26 pm

Best Post E V E R.
good luck on the il Pulmino head temp troubleshoot.
Vietnam time sounds well spent.
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:40 pm

Goodpost and I love 77 Westys. Hopefully Colin will be able to sort out the high temps.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:50 am

Nice post. If you've eliminated all the vacuum leaks (did you check you manifold pressure? s/be 18-21" IIRC) then it sounds like you need a little AFM adjustment....Colin has a really good tech article on this in the Fuel Delivery forum. The stock settings were lean for smog purposes.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Apr 26, 2014 10:10 am

set the idle to 28 degrees total advance with the vac hose off of the distributor
I sure hope you mean that you set the timing 28 degrees @ 3500 rpms, hoses off and plugged. No one really cares about what it is at idle unless you are getting it smogged.
The wrong timing setting can really play with you CHT along with too lean a AFM setting. Start with the BASICS! Timing, valve adjustment, clean fan and top of the heads before adjusting the AFM.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Monteromano
I'm New!

Post by Monteromano » Sun Apr 27, 2014 4:30 pm

Thanks everybody for the karma and good advice.

Troll said: "did you check you manifold pressure? s/be 18-21" IIRC"

Yes, I've been a bit obsessed with vacuum. I have a dash-mounted vacuum gauge and I normally get about 17 at idle and 20 or above on decel. Over the past month the idle was as low as 14 at idle after the engine warmed up. I'm not sure why it went lower when warm, but it did that consistently. I have a suspicion that the variation might be the plastic tube that feeds my dash guage - I routed it through the firewall, and where it passes within a few inches of the steel pipes that feed the accordion tubes, the plastic vac tube looks a bit squished flat - my guess is that when the plastic tube warms up it becomes like a collapsed drinking straw and can't draw the full vac. If that isn't the cause, does anyone know why vac can be less at warmed up idle?

In the past month I tracked down a vac leak on the body of the cold start valve (csv). When I sprayed it with water the motor changed speed, and when I jiggled it the plastic body of the csv was slightly loose in the metal frame that bolts it to the manifold. I pulled the csv and surrounded the outer lip where the plastic meets the metal with JB weld epoxy, and now there is no more apparent vac leak when I spray at it. While I was down in that neighborhood I replaced the angle boot and the 2 hoses connecting the AAR.

I pulled apart the brake vac check valve connection and firmed up the connection closer to the motor by wrapping the inner piece with barbs with 1 thickness of black electrical tape to allow the old hard plastic hose to get a better grip on the check valve. I put new hose clamps on each side.

I also replaced the "C" hose from the Decel valve with a 3/4 heater hose from a FLAPS and used a Goodyear E-Z Coil (part number GY34BX ) to help make the C shape without having the hose collapse. I also replaced the hose from the oil pressure vent to the S boot using a Gate part number 19833 L shaped heater hose that I trimmed to length. Both hoses fit great and I don't have to use hose clamps to get them tight. The heater hose and the E-Z coil together cost about $8, and the Gates 19833 cost about $20 delivered. I noticed better vacuum after installing them.
20140422_190824.jpg
Finally, I used Bus Depot fuel injector seals when I installed the rebuilt injectors. The injector seals I had on were fraying on the back side, but the side toward the motor looked OK. The BD seals were much better quality than the seals that came with the GB rebuilt injectors from Amazon (go figure).

The only other place I can think that I could have a vac leak is the gasket between the manifold and the motor. I've got a new replacement for that gasket from BD, as well as the 4 manifold short tubes (the name of those escapes me).

Bleyseng asked if I timed at 28 degrees with the hose off the distributor and the hose plugged at 3500 RPM. Yes, that's how I did it after reading up on it - I have to admit some of the details I had forgotten while living in Vietnam, so the forum is a great tool for refreshing my memory. I put on a new distributor cap and I am running pertronix. The Bosch ignition wires from 2005 still look good and my coil is more than 10 years old but seems to work OK.

I put in a new fuel pump in 2005 and I have a fuel pressure guage installed on the rail. It has been reading a solid 30 and then slowly goes down to 20 after about 15 mintutes after I shut off the motor. After putting in the 2 rebuilt injectors it ticked up to 31 or 32 so I may have had a leaky injector. I've got a replacement fuel pressure regulator that I haven't put on yet. It is not a Bosch and the one that is on seems fine.

I've got 3 AFMs and 2 ECUs, as well as a spare S-Boot so I think I'm in decent shape on spares to try to sort out this thing.

After I get Colin's advice, I am planning on dropping the motor in June. I've never dropped this motor and I need to replace the fuel vapor lines and gas filler rubber, and repair the gas gauge. I also need to clean up the battery trays and address the rust there.

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:24 pm

if you are getting 17" at idle....that's pretty close. Based on all that you've posted, sounds like you've eliminated most of your vac leaks...only other place I would check is on the intake plenum...my stock clamps were shot, so replaced with regular radiator hose clamps...also as you mentioned, be sure your intake manifold nuts are tight...found mine loose one time.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 29, 2014 2:45 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:only other place I would check is on the intake plenum...my stock clamps were shot, so replaced with regular radiator hose clamps...also as you mentioned, be sure your intake manifold nuts are tight...found mine loose one time.
Are you talking about the sleeves that connect the intake pipes to the intake plenum? They do not need clamps. 15" vacuum with the surface area exposed to full manifold vacuum just sucks them on tight. If they happen to be so old that they are petrified hard, well, no sense in clamping them when you can replace them to greater effect . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:49 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Are you talking about the sleeves that connect the intake pipes to the intake plenum? They do not need clamps. 15" vacuum with the surface area exposed to full manifold vacuum just sucks them on tight. If they happen to be so old that they are petrified hard, well, no sense in clamping them when you can replace them to greater effect . . .
Colin
Yup, those. Yup, need to be replaced; I was getting vacuum leaks around them; put the clamps on as a 'temporary' fix about 5-6 years ago. :cyclopsani:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:42 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote: Yup, put the clamps on as a 'temporary' fix about 5-6 years ago. :cyclopsani:
Oh, you are on poptoptom time . . .
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu May 01, 2014 4:48 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
TrollFromDownBelow wrote: Yup, put the clamps on as a 'temporary' fix about 5-6 years ago. :cyclopsani:
Oh, you are on poptoptom time . . .
Homeostasis my man, homeostasis. :flower:
1976 VW Bus aka tripod