Collector Insurance

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

weisswurst
Addicted!

Collector Insurance

Post by weisswurst » Tue Apr 01, 2014 1:51 pm

Hello fellow IAC friends, I am completing my latest project and ready for road trials so called the ole insurance agent to add a 3rd vanagon and heard about a "collector policy" Wow! had to share here cause got all 3 vanagons on one of those for less than the last time I added ONE vanagon for 6 months to my regular policy with the wife's car and my ford truck. :cyclopsani:
Splitting them off on their on policy with this company is really the way to go! Thought I would share the info with the group of the agent and office that writes this company.
(yes I did do low mileage option, but that's cause I can only drive one at a time!!)
If anyone wants to contact my agent (Londy) I'll put her info below!
Her name is Londy 954-966-2224 ext 703
website http://www.familyinsuranceservices.com/
I think at the very least a member here could look up who is the carrier for Infinity's Collector policy in their state too.
Good Hunting ALL! :salute:

Jeff

CLASSIC COLLECTORS® INSURANCE PROGRAM 11700 Great Oaks Way, Suite 450 Alpharetta, GA 30022 Phone 1 (800) 252-5233 - Fax 1 (877) 499-4450 Underwritten by: Infinity Insurance Company
GREAT AMERICAN INS AGENCY INC PO BOX 719 HARTFORD CT 06142-0719
This quote is based on statements and information provided by you. Any change to the information used to develop this quote or any program change by Infinity prior to binding coverage may alter the quoted premium.
Quote prepared for: Jeff Stoyer
Quote prepared on: Term:

Hollywood, FL 33021

VEHICLE INFORMATION VEH YEAR MAKE MODEL
TITLEHOLDER & STATE
12 Months
ODOMETER READING
STATE
1 1985 VW Vanagon GL Diesel/Convert WV2YB0xxxxxx11320 0 FL
2 1982 VW Vanagon L Diesel WV2YG02xxxxxx9469 0 FL
3 1986 VW Vanagon Transporter DOKA WV2VBxxxxxxxx8438 0 FL
VEHICLE INFORMATION (continued)

BODY TYPES Vanagon/Transporter/DOKA/BUS
VALUE
STATED/AGREED VALUE
MILEAGE PLAN
1 S/W Antique 10000 Agreed Value MILEAGE PLAN1200
2 S/W Antique 10000 Agreed Value MILEAGE PLAN1200
3 S/W Antique 12000 Agreed Value MILEAGE PLAN1200

PREMIUM INFORMATION
Total Premium: $227.00
Total Charges Including All Applicable Fees:
$229.95
Attachments
londy.jpg
"I drink, therefore yes ma'am..."

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Collector Insurance

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:44 pm

weisswurst wrote:Hello fellow IAC friends, heard about a "collector policy" Wow!
$229.95

I wish.
"How long will the vehicle be on the road?"
"24 weeks."
"Do you plan on driving it to shows?"
"Yes."
"Do you plan on camping with it?"
"Yes."
"Do you, are those for, off-road use?"
"Yes."
"Do you commute in it?"
"Yes."
How many miles do you expect to put on it?"
"20,000 miles."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
I have to use my daily driver insurance (with some real attitude about the stated value of the last fully original VW bus in the country being driven all over the country.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:03 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
weisswurst wrote:Hello fellow IAC friends, heard about a "collector policy" Wow!
$229.95
How many miles do you expect to put on it?"
"20,000 miles."
"Oh, I'm sorry."
This is my problem, although not for originality, that I have when I called and asked around. The only way I could even insure my bus for an agreed value with my milage is listing it as a second car to my 2009 sedan. So the stated (and true) milage on my policy:

2009 Jetta: 4,000 miles a year. Primary vehicle. (I think that title means it's what I commute in. Which is true, but only on days I have to do rush hour in the rain.)
1969 Bus: 15,000 miles a year. Secondary vehicle.

I don't know if it's even legal, but my agent drives a 90-something Syncro tricked out to the stars with lockers, onboard pumps, ramps, and fridge system. He keeps trying to trade me…
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:05 am

wow! trade you for your bus I assume?
is it a gas syncro? or diesel? (starting to drool here..)
jeff

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:14 am

Ah, that thing. I have not had to deal with that yet, the GMC is not quite up there yet in any way, shape, or form.

TBH, I'd roll the T2 vs T3.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:52 am

weisswurst wrote:wow! trade you for your bus I assume?
is it a gas syncro? or diesel? (starting to drool here..)
jeff
Ya he wants to trade me for my bus. He inherited the Syncro from his father, so his initial investment was small.

I'd never let my bus go. My dad and I got in a fight when I wouldn't take a 30k offer from a snob in a Maserati at a gas station... Now my dad understands the work I put into it, but at the time he didn't. The bus isn't worth near that, but my experienecs with it are.
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:10 pm

Good move on not selling to a person who wouldn't appreciate it. It's not always about money when it comes to these great cars, I have been refusing a mechanic friend on my totally stock 82 diesel Vanagon L for a while now. So guess what?!? I found another identical one on samba with a blown engine (also diesel and an 82) so I cut a deal and bought it for him as a thank you gift for all the engine work he did for me on the Doka.
Turns out that VW karma came right back to me as he adjusted my labor bill for the rebuild because he was so happy to finally own that model he always wanted but never found.
I have pics to post of the journey from Florida to virginia and back towing it home over a weekend if anyone wants to see!
Jeff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:12 pm

weisswurst wrote:I cut a deal and bought it for him as a thank you gift for all the engine work he did for me on the Doka.
Remind me again what I need to do to get a thank-you gift from you? :bom:
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:02 pm

Sad, but true, I only have liability insurance on the bus, which means here in MI (which is a no fault state) if I get in accident regardless of whose fault it is, I'm SOL. Just don't want the restrictions that "collector car" insurance carries. Could I get away with it? Yeah, but not really an honest way of doing things.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:
weisswurst wrote:I cut a deal and bought it for him as a thank you gift for all the engine work he did for me on the Doka.
Remind me again what I need to do to get a thank-you gift from you? :bom:
Colin

the engine was blown and out already, the PO had everything and gave all the parts to us except the Block (which he said was junk) :pale: I disagree with that but my guess is he scrapped it for metal maybe. Anywhoo, I ended up paying 1/2 what I expected to pay for the total rebuild on the Doka and now it appears that bill is balanced by the gift :thumbleft: (lucky for me as I didn't expect it just wanted to help a hard working mechanic friend who just had a baby and bought a house realize his vanagon dream sooner than later) I knew he wasn't going to do it for himself with all the family stuff and the associated bills going on at this time. I also know these original diesels are getting pretty scarce and alot are ending up going to the scrappers for the parts and metal. :pukeright:
He's good friend who grew up in Italy and Panama working on the 1.6/1.9 diesels as a kid learning his chosen trade. He has a genuine LOVE for these cars and treats mine like his own. He wants to do the exact 1.9TD conversion to it he did on my DOKA :cyclopsani:
As a VW karma bonus the PO threw in a used but intact extra 1.6NA engine he had from an old Jetta he had on the property and we put in the back on a pallet before we towed her home.
YAYY extra identical engine for my 2 diesels for parts!! I just love the VW community and the stuff that comes from meeting people even so far away! He also welded the "flat tow" bracket I made to the vanagon so we could tow it back under our own power behind the RV.
All in all it was a great whirlwind weekend of VW good fellowship as the owner of the shop and my mechanic buddy and myself did almost 2000 miles in 48 hours from Friday after work to Sunday night.
as promised a few pics and a cool google earth shot we did before we left to make sure she was waiting for us!
Jeff in Florida
Attachments
big P collage...jpg

weisswurst
Addicted!

Post by weisswurst » Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:04 am

google earth pic before we got there...
Attachments
big p google earth.jpg