San Diego to New York

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mattreate
I'm New!

San Diego to New York

Post by mattreate » Tue Aug 22, 2006 2:41 am

What is the stupidity level of taking a 73 automatic bus from San Diego to New York City over winter vacation?

It is in the process of having the engine rebuilt and everything else fixed or replaced.

I am 20 years old and have backpacked around all of Europe, driven through mexico, camped in Canada but have yet to see most if any of my own country. I'm dreaming about a trip in my bus from corner to corner with a couple of friends. Can this dream be a reality?

upnorthman
Getting Hooked!

Post by upnorthman » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:23 am

Do it........

My first thought was: the only stupid thing that you could do is to go unprepaired.

I am parking mine all winter because of the road salt here!

There is some amazing stuff to see here!
1976 Sage Green Westy
F.I. with Hyd lifters
Rebuilt once....Miles?

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:27 am

Yeah, I'd say make sure it is ready for the trip, be prepared.. The one or two not so bright parts about it is the ROAD SALT and cold temps in a drafty bus...

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Re: San Diego to New York

Post by spiffy » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:19 am

mattreate wrote:What is the stupidity level of taking a 73 automatic bus from San Diego to New York City over winter vacation?

It is in the process of having the engine rebuilt and everything else fixed or replaced.

I am 20 years old and have backpacked around all of Europe, driven through mexico, camped in Canada but have yet to see most if any of my own country. I'm dreaming about a trip in my bus from corner to corner with a couple of friends. Can this dream be a reality?
Learn as much as you possibly can about how things work and how to fix some of the common problems. I would change the fluid on that automatic and make sure the filter and gasket are doing their thing. Sounds like a fun trip and a good time in your life to live it up!
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:39 am

You should absolutely do it.

Winter is ideal because of the cool air for the engine. Don't let the whiners about cabin heat deter you. Sweaters, jackets, gloves, beanies, etc, will keep you toasty if you don't have your heat dialed in.

Do a couple 200+ mile trips this fall to get the hang of how your bus reacts to various things like hills and long highway drives. Plus these will hopefully bring to light any issues that are hidden during around town putting.

Make any repairs, tune ups, oil changes, etc, at least one week before leaving on your trip. You need time to make sure there were no mistakes made. A leaky valve cover gasket sucks on the highway.

Take it easy. Do 60-65 on the flats, and don't be afraid to drop to 2nd (automagic trans) and slow speeds on hills. Plan on only doing a few hundred miles a day. If you can go longer then great. Budget at least a couple hours every 3 days to check valve adjustments, oil, etc. Check your oil level at every gas stop right before getting back in the bus (gives oil time to settle and give a more accurate reading.) After 15 minutes resting, the oil should be pretty close to the full mark on the dipstick. DON'T LET YOURSELF BE FOOLED AND OVERFILL!

And make sure to put your oil cap back on after topping off.

:doops:

Take pics!
Take pics!
Take pics!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:52 am

I PM'd you over on theSamba with my recommendation.
Synopsis > Do It!

New recommendation:

The first snowfall you run into when you are out on the road, go immediately to a large parking lot with no cars and start throwing your bus around in the snow. Do it until there are no adrenaline squirts. When you can correct a slide with a cup of java in your hand without even interrupting a conversation, you graduate =D>
A) It is fun.
B) It hardwires your brain to react to poor traction conditions WITHOUT FEAR. . . this makes you a far safer driver.
C) It helps you bond with your bus when you discover how beautifully it slides and how controllable it really is
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:59 am

Amskeptic wrote:I PM'd you over on theSamba with my recommendation.
Synopsis > Do It!

New recommendation:

The first snowfall you run into when you are out on the road, go immediately to a large parking lot with no cars and start throwing your bus around in the snow. Do it until there are no adrenaline squirts. When you can correct a slide with a cup of java in your hand without even interrupting a conversation, you graduate =D>
A) It is fun.
B) It hardwires your brain to react to poor traction conditions WITHOUT FEAR. . . this makes you a far safer driver.
C) It helps you bond with your bus when you discover how beautifully it slides and how controllable it really is
Heehee... I did this with the GWB. We got blizzard conditions right after my moving here in CO and I went into the as yet unplowed parking lot across the street and partied. I spent about 2 hours thrashing around.

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:23 am

Stupidity Level: None

It's what these buses were meant to do. Like everyone said, just make some other trips in the bus and go prepared.

Get some spare parts and tools, a Bentley Guide and maybe think about something like AAA (which pays for itself if you need just one tow) and plan a nice leasurely trip.

My first trip was only about 700 miles round trip, but we got into an unexpected blizzard and I'd just taken the chains out of the bus. They had just turned on the "chains required" sign and were pulling people over. So I told my wife that as we pass this cop up on the right to just smile and wave because I'm not stopping :) So we rolled on by, waved, and just kept going. The bus handles great in the snow and I'd love to do another winter trip.

In fact, thinking about it I think we might do that over the holidays. It runs great in the cold weather, its dry in the bus and very enjoyable camping when its raining or snowing. Its on!
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Birdibus
IAC Addict!

Post by Birdibus » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:05 am

Well, ya'll are a rugged bunch. I don't much like the cold and I told Mattreate on the 'other site' to look for deserts, hotsprings, and Mexican beaches. Ha! That's where my head is at!
71 bus, 74 westy

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 pm

Birdibus wrote:Well, ya'll are a rugged bunch. I don't much like the cold and I told Mattreate on the 'other site' to look for deserts, hotsprings, and Mexican beaches. Ha! That's where my head is at!
That's where I am heading. I done did my time in the snow belt.
But if you have to be in the cold, a robust blizzard adds to the entertainment nicely.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Tue Aug 22, 2006 9:06 pm

Amskeptic wrote:, a robust blizzard adds to the entertainment nicely.
Colin
And a trip through a blizzard add to you your trust of you vehicle.

Especially a maiden voyage on I-90 into Wyoming, where the roads sleet up and you have no heat. [-o<