2 Buses

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 2 Buses

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:06 am

hambone wrote:I hope you too, (two) are having safe travels out there! Thinking of the lot of you, in all that solitude you know.
Still solitudinous?
I am sadly back amongst the human population density. Did not get enough splendorous solitude this summer.
You gotta try a little Utah, Bob.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 2:03 pm

I am back, have been in madhouse Portland for a month. Working hard, building contractor work. Just got the rebuilt Rancho transmission in the mail an hour ago - ironically the same one removed earlier in this thread. It will go into Bus1 next week. (It has the later bellhousing, I will probably use a sockethead capscrew instead of mangling the opening). Also writing about the summer, you are there, can I use your name? Or do I have to call you "Rawlin"? The same question applies to others, maybe I should ask individually.

So long in the mountains has mellowed me. I am really starting to miss it again. All the new buildings here are so sleek and expensive. Too crowded. 5 more years? Until Eva gets an education? Oh man, she loves the woods too. It is what the Spirit in the Sky wills. Our rent is going up another $400 - a 700 dollar increase in 3 years. Same old dilapidated house.
Where are you wintering?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Sep 30, 2016 4:05 pm

Interesting, both Buses have CA trans codes. I always assumed Bus1 had the original trans due to the age and body coating stuck to the top, and the fact everything else was original when I got it.
Bus1 has a '71 nose due to a mid-70s accident.

chachi
Old School!

Post by chachi » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:17 pm

at the risk of being edited for being OT, portland is crazy. the wife and i are torn on what to do. with two kids in PPS, we are hearing crazy stories about neglect, laziness, mismanagement, and none of this is new, but is now happening to OUR KIDS and their classmates. 10 year old is so unchallenged that his teachers even agreed to let him skip a good deal of the home(busy)work and get taken out of school regularly for outside learning. do we home school the 2 year old? she won't learn anything in PPS except, hopefully, spanish. meanwhile we got outbid by $100k on a house we were trying to buy in the argay neighborhood. what's that? never heard of the argay neighborhood? well never mind cause now you're priced out of there too. thanks fred and carrie.
1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:04 am

Bob, did either of the transaxles have the "VW rebuild" stamp on them? The logo here on the left side of the engine case…

My 2/1969 bus had the CA code transaxle in it, with that logo stamped right next to the serial number. I don't know much else, other than someone guessing that it was the VW of Canada rebuild plant that did them.

My name? Please do.

I'm a little disheartened to hear of you fine folk being unhappy with the city. It was a potential destination for me for a long time. Well, I guess I'll have to look more towards the beach…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Oct 01, 2016 7:39 pm

hambone wrote:Interesting, both Buses have CA trans codes, which means '71 model year.

Mr. Hambone,
CA is an 002 with the 5.375:1 rear axle ratio. It was introduced in August 1967. The only change that makes 1971 specific is the collar for the new guided release bearing.
CK is an 002 with the Type 4 engine mounting ears and a 5.375:1 ratio.
CM is the 4.86:1 five rib 002 transaxle.

All of these transaxles had changes galore to teeth numbers and synchro grooves and splined hubs and pressed gears and on and on.

Yes, you can use my name,
Rawlin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 12:14 am

Amskeptic wrote:
hambone wrote:Interesting, both Buses have CA trans codes, which means '71 model year.
The only change that makes 1971 specific is the collar for the new guided release bearing.
Remember grinding off the chunk from Chloe's transaxle case? I think they changed the upper left engine mounting hardware. (D-bolts on the 68-70 bays, threaded engine case insert and M10 hex bolt on '71+ Type 1 bays.) Did VW whack metal off like you did, or was the case manufactured with clearance for a socket there in '71?

Robbie :study:
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:26 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
The only change that makes 1971 specific is the collar for the new guided release bearing.
Remember grinding off the chunk from Chloe's transaxle case?
I did? :drunken:

asiab3 wrote: I think they changed the upper left engine mounting hardware. (D-bolts on the 68-70 bays, threaded engine case insert and M10 hex bolt on '71+ Type 1 bays.) Did VW whack metal off like you did, or was the case manufactured with clearance for a socket there in '71?
Robbie :study:
[/quote]

The captive nut set up for the dog house engines was on the engine case. There was no change in the transaxle casting there. I ground the transaxle to allow a socket to fit more easily.

I am not going to get lost in minutiae here, I just wanted to suggest that Hambone's transaxle could have been an original with the CA prefix.
Colin

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 12:12 pm

The list I was referring to erroneously stated CA was '71. Lots of crap out there on the internet....
This site seems accurate:
http://www.partsemporium.co.uk/GUIDE%20 ... ratios.htm

I am unable to find a definitive list like ones for engine codes. Even Samba turned up nothing.
So, ignore my other babbling about '71. They both could be 1969 transmissions, except one has the socket-limiting boss on the bellhousing and one does not. So why the hell would an early throwout bearing bellhousing have that damned boss?

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:03 pm

Non-doghouse engines had a D-Bolt on the left, just like over the starter. Those non-DH engines also had the early throwout bearing setup, so they would have the machined boss to snag the D-bolt. I made sure Rancho hacked mine clean off before painting, as part of my "don't mess this up" phone call I had with them after I placed my order.

Though in the grand scheme of life, I find it easier to chalk this up to "knowledge used and then promptly forgotten." Once your transaxle is in and functioning, you might not care anymore. I don't; until it starts making funny sounds.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:16 pm

Aha! Non doghouse. I thought it was a type4 engine thing.
I will have to see if the Bus1 trans has the tabs. Memory is stupid.
When did VW get rid of it? 1971?

No VW logo stamp by the serial number, but 12469 L is stamped just below. Build date?/ It would match the Feb 1969 build date if that is the case.

Rusty Sub
Getting Hooked!

Post by Rusty Sub » Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:50 pm

chachi wrote: meanwhIke we got outbid by $100k on a house we were trying to buy in the argay neighborhood. what's that? never heard of the argay neighborhood? well never mind cause now you're priced out of there too. thanks fred and carrie.
Holy Crap. :scratch:
Well Robbie, I hear Stockton,Ca is still affordable. :pukeright:
a.k.a Xevin

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:02 pm

hambone wrote:Aha! Non doghouse. I thought it was a type4 engine thing.
I will have to see if the Bus1 trans has the tabs. Memory is stupid.
When did VW get rid of it? 1971?
Ha! I have not fussed around with enough original Type 4 cars even to guess what the factory hardware was. Last T4 I dropped was mated to an automatic and used threaded rod welded nut as the bolt over the starter. :pukeright:

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Oct 27, 2016 4:13 pm

All installed, runs well, but
randomly pops out of 4th gear.
Talked with Rancho, they told me to put it in 4th, then move the shifter all the way to the rear. So far this seems to have fixed it. I will know more after I drive it a while.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:39 am

hambone wrote:All installed, runs well, but
randomly pops out of 4th gear.
Talked with Rancho, they told me to put it in 4th, then move the shifter all the way to the rear. So far this seems to have fixed it. I will know more after I drive it a while.
Uh oh . . . crossed fingers.

With all of these deep parts not being made, they are wearing out and rebuilders are having to slap in sketchy stuff.
I bought a couple of early bay 3-4 sliders from Rick Long who machined the gear teeth edges nice and flat so the they don't try to "ramp out" under load.

I will try to rebuild Chloe's original transaxle with these new parts from long Enterprises, still working out the mentor who shall guide me.
Colin