1980 Vanagon: Engine speed not decreasing when decelerating

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: 1980 Vanagon: Engine speed not decreasing when decelerat

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:54 pm

cegammel wrote:Ok...this is getting annoying...the van only does this racing engine thing when very warm (more than 30 minutes of straight driving). Dripping oil around the dist. shaft doesn't seem to help, and when I was in the yard and able to get to the engine bay to pull the cable, I couldn't get it to race...

I guess I can stick the wife in the back to wiggle my throttle while I drive...
Will be there in a matter of days . . . do you have the "idle stabilizer" with plugs? read Bentley.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

bosco53
I'm New!

Post by bosco53 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:28 pm

Did you ever find the culprit to the sticking idle? Im having the same exact issue currently. Oiled the distributor wick but no change. Didn't think to check the timing at both idle points though. Ill have to try that.
1980 VW Westfalia Air cooled and full of piss and vinegar

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:08 am

bosco53 wrote:Did you ever find the culprit to the sticking idle? Im having the same exact issue currently. Oiled the distributor wick but no change. Didn't think to check the timing at both idle points though. Ill have to try that.
While you are here, bosco53, pull back on the throttle lever when the idle is too fast. Does it slow the engine down? Throttle cable may be adjusted too tight.

Check your timing at idle. You have a vacuum retard that must be functional!!! With the vacuum hose on, timing needs to be around 5* ATDC *after you have adjusted the timing to 28* @3,400 rpm with no hoses attached to the distributor*.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:02 pm

bosco53 wrote:Did you ever find the culprit to the sticking idle? Im having the same exact issue currently. Oiled the distributor wick but no change. Didn't think to check the timing at both idle points though. Ill have to try that.
In case you haven't gotten this fixed yet...My issue was over-advanced timing, which Colin corrected. My idle mix was also way off.