Exhaust questions

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

surfdad
I'm New!

Exhaust questions

Post by surfdad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:45 am

OK, I have now had my 78Westy for 10 years. I have restored it to a pretty nice machine with the help and advice from all the forums and folks who have tested and reported on quality parts. I have tried to replace and fix with the best quality and not rig fixes likely to cause additional problems down the road. The bus originally had a 77 engine in it with solid lifters when I purchased it. I am not sure of the engine's past and it eventually gave up the ghost. A new rebuild from Bus Depot has been installed. Bus runs well and the heat exchangers cleaned and tightened up and I finally fabricated some solid heat ducting to the front tube vent. I insulated the tubing and capped off the diffusers to the cabin to direct all heat to the front. I have yet to test drive cause the weather has been nasty but at idle I have decent heat and no exhaust smell. I cant wait to test the heat under the load of driving. Should be pretty good.

So now I am focused on my rear end!!!! I am currently running an Eliminator style muffler Colin and I installed back in 2005 or 6? I had painted it with high temp paint and attempted to cure it with mediocre results. The bus is garage kept and does not see a whole lot of road time so technically its held up well. But folks have said (including Colin) "you should get the original exhaust/muffler set up" So I'm doing a little research and I am getting a little confused. I have questions I'm not sure I have been able to find the answers. I believe my exhaust system is the typical 78 (non cat) version and does have the triangular flanges.

I am purchasing a full exhaust set up and plan to clean and have coated for preservation. However, its the system which includes the Transverse Exhaust Pipe (crossover pipe) and a Cat converter prior to the muffler.

Here are my questions:

Would this system fit up to my heat exchangers and if so, how would this system affect performance (assuming the system is tight and working as designed)?

Can someone explain the difference between the two different crossover pipes as it relates to their functionality?

If this system will fit but is not what I should install because of the Transverse Exhaust pipe and Cat Converter, I can attempt to find and or fabricate a regular Crossover (NLA) and the pipe which eliminates the Cat..........If this system is really worth the effort over the current setup...is it?

As always, thanks in advance for your replies and I apologize if this info is here and my searches were not precise.

Neal
Neal
Tikibus

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Exhaust questions

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:18 am

surfdad wrote: So now I am focused on my rear end!
Personally, I would take the plunge and retrofit the '72-'74 exhaust system.

It is comprised of just two heat exchangers that bolt right up the eight exhaust studs, and a muffler.

You would need the:
'72-'74 lower tins,
two riser pipers between heat exchangers and heater control valves (the "out" air),
two downpipes between the blower hoses and the rear of the exhangers (the "in" air),
a couple of brackets to help hold the system up.

This is a simple elegant system that Europe used all along.
Here is the book page that shows the differences:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jan 11, 2014 8:14 am

I would too and did on my Westy. All said and done you will have hotter and better heat. Ken at thebusco should have the parts in stock
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

surfdad
I'm New!

Post by surfdad » Sat Jan 11, 2014 1:51 pm

Hmmm....well now you have me thinking. I did not take the plunge on the other system and probably wont until I price this option out.

Does the 74 really produce hotter heat?

Would the expense (whatever it might be) be worth it functionally?
Neal
Tikibus

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Yes, if you can find OEM units as they have bigger stuff inside
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:17 pm

surfdad wrote:Hmmm....well now you have me thinking. I did not take the plunge on the other system and probably wont until I price this option out.

Does the 74 really produce hotter heat?

Would the expense (whatever it might be) be worth it functionally?
Don't even make decisions based on "heat". Make decisions based on long term reliability and engine performance. For the record, no, the '72-'74 systems did NOT make "more" heat than the later systems with the longer dedicated heat exchangers with the larger ducting, and the replacement exchangers from Dansk are cheap with fewer fins and no insulation inside the jackets. BUT, you can have decent heat up to the time that you should not be driving it as the snow and salt begin to fly.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles