New Vanagon

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: New Vanagon

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:05 pm

aopisa wrote:Nice! I think I see a Vanagon in my future too.
As a "complement" to your fine Bay . . . .
ColinVanagon'sGearshiftsRattleTOOYouKnow
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Thu Dec 12, 2013 7:19 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
aopisa wrote:Nice! I think I see a Vanagon in my future too.
As a "complement" to your fine Bay . . . .
ColinVanagon'sGearshiftsRattleTOOYouKnow
Of course. I should have made that more clear....
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:16 pm

Well, I've been daily driving the Vanagon and the Bay all summer long :cherry:

I was supposed to be deciding which one suits us best and selling the other, but this is a tough decision.
I've pretty much been driving one for a week and then the other. No question the Vanagon is a more plush ride.
I haven't done much maintenance on either vehicle(knocks on wood) other than changing the fuel lines on the Vanagon. I wish I would have put new injectors in while I had them out. I still have to swap the rear heater valve and I've got a small amount of oil leaking possibly from the main seal- it's slinging oil up towards the engine lid between the engine and trans. Also, it has a hesitation when cold and the idle could be smoother. I have tune-up parts on the way.

The Bay has been excellent to me. Running really well.

fwiw- our 20 month old son loves both of them but prefers the Bay. He is constantly asking for the keys. We've had to back off on letting him "drive" because that's all he wants to do is sit in the driver's seat and put the key in the ignition.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Thu Aug 07, 2014 1:35 pm

When I bought my bus .....jeez... 10 years ago, I seriously considered getting a Vanagon, and making it a true DD. As it has superior metalurgy and isn't as inclined to rust away to nothing here in the rust belt like a bus does; oh and did I mention it has real heat that works below 30F? :flower: However, after I sat behind one, realize it didn't ooze the nostalgia of the 71 bus I had, so decided to forgo a DD for a 3 season occasional driver. Focused on the Type IV's, as I wanted enough oomph to do 70mph on the highway.

Sooo, if you want a true DD, I would pick the Vanagon. If you have a winter driver, then it is purely subjective based on your tastes, what you want to do with it, and your families desires.

My two pennies.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Thu Aug 07, 2014 3:03 pm

That's kind of what I'm finding out. I don't do a lot of driving. 1 mile to/from work, to the local bank, grocery etc. Probably less than 50 miles/week. The Bay is perfect for this.
It's the times that we do go for longer drives and camping trips that the Vanagon seems to fit the bill.
I'm trying to find an affordable storage situation so that I can keep both of them. :compress:
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Aug 14, 2014 6:41 am

yondermtn wrote:That's kind of what I'm finding out. I don't do a lot of driving. 1 mile to/from work, to the local bank, grocery etc. Probably less than 50 miles/week. The Bay is perfect for this.
It's the times that we do go for longer drives and camping trips that the Vanagon seems to fit the bill.
I'm trying to find an affordable storage situation so that I can keep both of them. :compress:
I owned a beautiful brand-new '89 Vanagon GL and the Road Warrior sat around forlornly.
Then I sold the beautiful '89 Vanagon at 110,000 miles so I could go get 588,238 miles on the Road Warrior.

Boxcar
Addicted!

Post by Boxcar » Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:18 pm

Color me Vanagenvied.

OK I risk being crass, but might I enquire a$ to the ticket for the one owner used vehicle?

Two, so I am fond of the first few Vanagon aircooled years, but the waterboxer Colin refurbishable to the point of rock and slingshot proof?

Yonder it looks great, and thanks also for mentioning better tall person ergonomics!

Enjoy the madness!

P$S galvanized bodypanels right?
1975 003 Auto Westy L90D

repair!!!!aug2015
Jan/16 Bumped mixture a few notches richer. finally developing HP.

1.8L/LJet/Pertron DVDA+PertronixCompufire 42/36Ham Heads/AA 93mm pistons/barrels.Porsc.Swiv.Adjusters/CromoSteel pushrds/ Web 9550Cam/55cc chmbr.,035 squish,8.6:1CR/German Supply VWCanadaReman Rods/Schadek 26mmPump/vdo dualOP8/10#low sender/Quart Deep Sump
Backdate Htr bxs,reflanged 914 4into1. Two and three eighths inch collector,magniflow*muffler

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Sat Aug 16, 2014 9:32 am

I happened upon quite a deal, I think, on the Vanagon- $4,000 :sunny:

I'm not exactly sure what you mean on the second question. I do know that many people prefer the Bays over the aircooled Vanagons because of the increased weight of the Vanagon. Watercooleds also have many more options for relatively easy engine swaps. With Type IV engines becoming pricier and harder to find a quality built one, I felt the watercooled might last for longer.

I'm not sure on the galvanized panels, but the Vanagons do appear to have superior rust resistance to the Bays.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:22 pm

yondermtn wrote:I do know that many people prefer the Bays over the aircooled Vanagons because of the increased weight of the Vanagon.
300 pounds? Really?
Colin

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:30 am

yondermtn wrote:I happened upon quite a deal, I think, on the Vanagon- $4,000 :sunny:
Probably because the owner was like "Oh lawd, it's an engine, and these are expensive, and I ain't going to fiddle with it!"
"Hun, waddaya mean 'these are worth good money' even in this state?"

Congrats, one that nice these days is hard to come by. When I was looking at a vanny some 6 years ago, they were already 2-3K for just a van.