Close...

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Hardtop
Old School!

Close...

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Oct 29, 2013 1:08 am

Long story short...

Returned from Japan after having been gone 1 month (bus sat). I jump in bus start her up and get approximately 1 block or so from home and smell gas. I immediately pull into a lot and shut down. Right away I notice fuel dripping from both carb connections (40 IDF's) where the lines are attached. Clean everything up and while cleaning I notice that the hoses going from the (T) to each carb look as if they shrunk a bit due to their curvature from the carb fitting to the T. Not bad enough to cause any issue but not what I remember them being when installed approximately 6-7 weeks ago. When I changed all hoses I used the same rating hose that I installed previously (6-7 years ago) which I had great luck with. :prayer:

So I get my snub nose screwdriver and snug up the clamps (non worm type) and whatta you know no more leak/s...bone dry. Not sure why this occured especially since I had driven the bus on several occasions before my trip without any fuel leak/s. I'm very annal when it comes to fuel leaks or any leak for that matter. My only guess would be a combination of the lines going dry due to evaporation and the drop in ambient air temps allowed for the hose to loosen up enough under the clamps.

Hose used: Gates 30R7 rating. Hose used previously Goodyear 30R7
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Close...

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 29, 2013 12:56 pm

72Hardtop wrote:Long story short...

smell gas. snug up clamps. no more leaks.
What it is.
Colin
(new hoses do need to be re-tightened after a spell)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles