BellePlaine's New VDO Tach

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

BellePlaine's New VDO Tach

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:15 pm

This is the result of my latest project, the installation of the VDO 7,000 rpm tach (#333 051) in my 1975 bus.

As you can see, I've modified the face to look at home. To do this, I had a new face made with a font closely matching the font from the speedo. The face was printed on vinyl and spray glued it onto the VDO tach face.

#333 051 comes with two 3 watt light bulbs which I thought would be too bright and out of place compared to the VW's original 1.2 w #2721 bulbs. So I carefully cut out some bulb ballasts from my parts bus instrument cluster and JB Welded them to the tach's light holes. But before I did that, I stuck a bit of green cellophane into the light holes to match the original green gel like that of my stock speedo.

Using the original bulbs and ballasts meant that I needed to get creative with the grounds for those bulbs. I had to use brass model railroad track connectors which were small enough to connect to the ground from the bulb and allow a small spade connector to attach.

I've read about other VDO tach installations having problems with "bouncing needle" and learned that the solution was to use a Radio Shack (IN4005) Rectifier Diode at the coil. I added spade connectors to mine.

As soon as I'm able to figure out why YouTube is not allowing me to upload a short video I took of the tach in action, I'll post it. In the mean time, I'm enjoying my new tach. It has always perplexed me on why VW didn't give us a proper tach in the first place.

1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: BellePlaine's New VDO Tach

Post by whc03grady » Sun Oct 06, 2013 6:40 pm

You even flipped over the 6 and 7, corresponding to the 80 and 90 on the speedo--nice attention to detail. Where/how did you get the face printed anyway?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:40 pm

Very nicely done with attention to detail.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:46 pm

whc03grady wrote:You even flipped over the 6 and 7, corresponding to the 80 and 90 on the speedo--nice attention to detail. Where/how did you get the face printed anyway?
Thanks! I work a graphic designer, who lives in California and I in Minnesota. We emailed back and forth until we settled on a face that was pretty good. I didn't know if I should make the numbers single digit or double digit. I was trying to guess what would have VW have done but in the end I figured that I doesn't matter too much anyway. I went to OfficeMax to have the file printed on vinyl. The face is exactly 7 cm in diameter which was a little silly because the smallest piece of vinyl that OM can print was something like 2' x 1'. But I chose vinyl because it doesn't throw a glare like gloss or even matte paper print.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Oct 06, 2013 9:01 pm

BellePlaine wrote:
whc03grady wrote:You even flipped over the 6 and 7, corresponding to the 80 and 90 on the speedo--nice attention to detail. Where/how did you get the face printed anyway?
Thanks! I work a graphic designer, who lives in California and I in Minnesota. We emailed back and forth until we settled on a face that was pretty good. I didn't know if I should make the numbers single digit or double digit. I was trying to guess what would have VW have done but in the end I figured that I doesn't matter too much anyway. I went to OfficeMax to have the file printed on vinyl. The face is exactly 7 cm in diameter which was a little silly because the smallest piece of vinyl that OM can print was something like 2' x 1'. But I chose vinyl because it doesn't throw a glare like gloss or even matte paper print.
That is a fine job. Beer and tach on tap.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Mon Oct 07, 2013 5:28 am

Nice work!
BellePlaine wrote:It has always perplexed me on why VW didn't give us a proper tach in the first place.
I'm sure it was all about $$$. Once you learn the shift points it isn't really necessary since the vehicle speed is directly proportional. When did they stop putting the marks in the speedo housing for the shift points? I always thought that was a clever poor-man's tach substitute.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Mon Oct 07, 2013 7:11 am

Here's a short video of the tach in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... E0NfYNZXxU

Now that I'm using this tach, it kind of surprised me at how high of rpms the engine turns at highway speeds. I'm running a 1.8L, fuel injected engine along with a 3-rib transmission and I'm about at 3,800 at 70 mph. I wonder if those high rpms are needed to keep the engine cool.
I'm sure it was all about $$$.
You're probably right, sped372. These were, after all, economical cars I guess. I just think that its interesting that VW gave these cars a blank gauge for 11 years for the purpose of an option for a clock instead of a useful tach.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Oct 08, 2013 2:41 pm

BellePlaine wrote: Now that I'm using this tach, it kind of surprised me at how high of rpms the engine turns at highway speeds. I'm running a 1.8L, fuel injected engine along with a 3-rib transmission and I'm about at 3,800 at 70 mph.

Worse yet, your speedometer is off.

002 transaxle to July 73 . . . . 70 mph = 4,060 rpm

002 5-rib to August 75 . . . . . 70 mph = 3,680 rpm

091 to end . . . 70 mph = 3,750 (note that the 5-rib is slightly taller)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Tue Oct 08, 2013 5:38 pm

Nice work looks great!
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.