Portland Tool Pool

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Portland Tool Pool

Post by Maz804 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:17 pm

SO I finished the front brakes on my 1970 Bus... First time... It was fun! Looks like the brakes were just serviced before she was parked cuz everything inside was in great shape and there was still writing on the shoe face... part number or sumthin' in white chalk handwritten letters. Drums had been turned once from what I could see, but I measured them and were well within spec and the surface rust cleaned up real nice. Wheels cylinders cleaned up nice as well, and the rubber is very supple so I reconditioned them and put everything back together all clean like and once I'm done with the whole system I'll check for leaks. We'll see.

Now I'm ready to do the back brakes, got some new brake line gonna check the condition of the parts but I hafta get that big azz nut off there! I thought it was a 36mm (I have that socket from when I drove a bug) but I need a 46mm socket or the adapter whacker piece. Halsey doesn't have it, but I can order it online... But I want it now. :bounce:

I went to Teds Tool Shed in SE PDX over on Powell to grab some tools today. Found a 3/4" breaker bar, 3/4">1/2" adapter, punch, brake adjustment tool all for $25! Not bad, but I didn't find a 46mm socket.

So...

Who's got one I can use to crack 'em loose?! I live 2 blocks from Halsey Automotive.

I'll probably use this thread when it comes time to borrow/use or lend-me-a-hand-cuz-u-got-the-tool-I-need!

BTW, I guess I'll be gone all weekend visiting mom up in Seattle and won't be back till Monday... Maybe I'll find that adapter up there.
:bounce:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Re: Portland Tool Pool

Post by Maz804 » Fri Sep 13, 2013 4:48 pm

Also on the "THINGS-TO-DO" and "TOOLS-TO-USE" list:

Does anybody have a tap & die set for metrics? Or a threads cleaner/sharpener? I wanna clean up some threads on the motor before it goes back in. Also need to address the stripped motor mount bolts. I believe the cause stems from adding full flow with BERG oil plate, the mustache bar was notched out to try and clear it but it was pretty tight. The case is AS41 and I read some posts that those bolts were added with helicoil as common practice... Hmmm.

ANYWAY, I need to clean that mess up, what do I use? Never done a helicoil before, anybody wanna come over and watch me? :bounce:
Where in PORTLAND do I get a kit to fix this? :scratch:

The two larger bolts that bolt thru the mustache bar and into the case... I can't find the size in my Bentley, but here's a picture of one that I pulled out, the other one was snapped inside and I had to drill it out:

What now? :salute:

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Sat Sep 14, 2013 9:37 am

I am up in NE, stop by if you need a hand. I can't really loan out the tools though because I need them for Volks Folks.
BTW be prepared for an expensive Helicoil for that size. It was almost $100 for a lug bolt rethread.
BTW 2, Sears should have most of the tools you need, it may be a good idea just to get the stuff for the future.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Sat Sep 14, 2013 10:52 am

You live over by Spare Room, I used to live nearby and remember seeing your bus!

I'm mostly interested in gathering the knowledge and local resources that is needed for my mechanickin' so I can get smarterer as I go along. Like that helicoil business... Dang! 100 smackers!

There's a good Sears store over on 122nd so I'll go check them out. I think another good place is Hall tool in SE near Goodwill off MLK.

Do you have the technical size for that bolt handy? I couldn't find it in Bentley. Maybe Sears handyman can tell me... If the threads aren't too mashed up.

Thanks!

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:44 pm

Maz804 wrote:Also on the "THINGS-TO-DO" and "TOOLS-TO-USE" list:

Does anybody have a tap & die set for metrics? Or a threads cleaner/sharpener? I wanna clean up some threads on the motor before it goes back in. Also need to address the stripped motor mount bolts. I believe the cause stems from adding full flow with BERG oil plate, the mustache bar was notched out to try and clear it but it was pretty tight. The case is AS41 and I read some posts that those bolts were added with helicoil as common practice... Hmmm.

ANYWAY, I need to clean that mess up, what do I use? Never done a helicoil before, anybody wanna come over and watch me? :bounce:
Where in PORTLAND do I get a kit to fix this? :scratch:

The two larger bolts that bolt thru the mustache bar and into the case... I can't find the size in my Bentley, but here's a picture of one that I pulled out, the other one was snapped inside and I had to drill it out:
What now? :salute:
What now? We're taking this to Type 2 Forum. It is about your Type 2, it is not quite general enough for General Forum, I think.

I have a metric tap and die set. It has a thread gauge, and I match up the taps to guess the size of bolts.
So you have a mess with this stripped out savagery. I'd look at an expensive but serious timesert solution.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:27 pm

I've got a 3/4" drive 1-13/16" socket and a slide handle to fit it, can drop it off on my way to work Tuesday morning. 46mm == 1.811 inches, 1-13/16" == 1.812 inches.

I picked up a quality-looking metric tap/die set in Finland but haven't had a chance to use it yet...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

bajaman72
Addicted!

Post by bajaman72 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 8:43 am

I recently purchased a 46mm whacker tool from Chirco - 16.90 shipped. Ordered Friday - Had it Monday

But I NEEDED IT FRIDAY!!! :blackeye:
1968 Karmann Ghia - Driver
1969 Transporter - Project
1959 Karmann Ghia - Full Race Car

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:07 pm

Yeah that whacker tool is what I want to get.

Hal stopped by this morning and dropped off the socket, thanks man! He also let me know that his store does have the metric thread insert but do not have the tap to install them.

Last night at the lab we discussed the best hardware store in Downtown Portland is a place called "Winks" so I'll go check them out about the mustache bar bolt inserts.

1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold