3 Point Seat Retractable Seat Belts, for '78 Westy.

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

3 Point Seat Retractable Seat Belts, for '78 Westy.

Post by Jivermo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 8:07 am

I would like some recommendations from someone who is happy with their purchase of this item, as well as installation using original mounting and good functionality. What supplier offers the best product and pricing? I'm not looking for cheap here, I'd like to get the best available product. GoWesty's is 139.00 a seat. But is it good?

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Re: 3 Point Seat Retractable Seat Belts, for '78 Westy.

Post by vdubzen » Mon Sep 09, 2013 11:31 am

I used seat belts from a 95 vw eurovan in my 68. They were plug and play. I did use the mounting bracket from a local vw shop, General Parts, here in Albuquerque.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 2:03 pm

I'm working with Steve at Seatbeltplanet.com at the moment. He's a helpful sort of guy, and we'll see what we can come up with. I sent him some pics. I'll keep you posted if he comes up with a solution.
Attachments
image.jpg

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:03 pm

Jivermo wrote:I'm working with Steve at Seatbeltplanet.com at the moment. He's a helpful sort of guy, and we'll see what we can come up with. I sent him some pics. I'll keep you posted if he comes up with a solution.
Notice how these expensive retractable seatbelts were installed incorrectly:

It was corrected:

The retractors are to be *parallel to the shoulder anchor.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Mon Sep 09, 2013 3:13 pm

Thank you. I note that.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Sep 13, 2013 3:55 pm

I bought the Beams (aka Seatbeltplanet) belts and was very unhappy with how sensitive the retractors are to locking. It was to the point I couldn't even put the belt on unless I did it in super-slow motion. I spoke to Steve, yes, a great guy, and he told me they have to make the retractor locking mechanisms uber-sensitive for legal reasons. They have no control over how folks will install them so they have to lock at a gnats flatulence. I ended up using 80's Vanagon belts and am very happy with them. You can actually put them on.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Sep 14, 2013 7:55 am

dtrumbo wrote:I bought the Beams (aka Seatbeltplanet) belts and was very unhappy with how sensitive the retractors are to locking. It was to the point I couldn't even put the belt on unless I did it in super-slow motion. I spoke to Steve, yes, a great guy, and he told me they have to make the retractor locking mechanisms uber-sensitive for legal reasons. They have no control over how folks will install them so they have to lock at a gnats flatulence. I ended up using 80's Vanagon belts and am very happy with them. You can actually put them on.

aren't the receivers on the 80's Vanagon's really short, making it where you have to change the mounting point for them so it's higher up on the pedestal or just have very little wiggle room once their on?
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 4:11 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
dtrumbo wrote:I bought the Beams (aka Seatbeltplanet) belts and was very unhappy with how sensitive the retractors are to locking. It was to the point I couldn't even put the belt on unless I did it in super-slow motion. I spoke to Steve, yes, a great guy, and he told me they have to make the retractor locking mechanisms uber-sensitive for legal reasons. They have no control over how folks will install them so they have to lock at a gnats flatulence. I ended up using 80's Vanagon belts and am very happy with them. You can actually put them on.

aren't the receivers on the 80's Vanagon's really short, making it where you have to change the mounting point for them so it's higher up on the pedestal or just have very little wiggle room once their on?
Not short so much as annoyingly bent so as to steal your aisle room. I re-used the bus receivers on the BobD. The Vanagon belts are a little crunchy when they clasp, and a little sticky when releasing, but I live with that. If I ever have to use the belts for their intended purpose, I best not be able to leave the seat too quickly anyway.
"Why YOU . . . I'm gonna pop you one as soon as I get out of this seat, as soon . . . . as I . . . get out of this SEAT, why didn't you LOOK where you were going, I'm gonna knock you to the GROUND, as soon as I . . . GET out of this . . . would you at least help me out of my seat so I can paste you one?"
Colin

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:09 pm

Reading with interest...
This is on the "medium term" list for me :-)
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:03 am

Here are some pictures of the 94 eurovan seatbelts in my 68 bay.

1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:12 am

vdubzen wrote:Here are some pictures of the 94 eurovan seatbelts in my 68 bay.

What is going on here? I see the receiver for the driver, but do not get the deal branching to the left.

vdubzen
Getting Hooked!

Post by vdubzen » Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:16 am

it is a belt for the rear facing seat. I turned the deluxe into a tintop camper.
1960 Karmann Ghia
1968 Deluxe Microbus
1973 Super Beetle
1974 Beetle

president, AAAVWclub.com

cheesehead
Getting Hooked!

Post by cheesehead » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:02 pm

I have had the gowesty seat belts for years, I think they are great. Fit right, easy to install they catch you quick but not annoyingly so. I guess make sure there is no rust where you are going to put them like the current anchor bolts but that is obvious.

jmiller
I'm New!

Post by jmiller » Fri Sep 20, 2013 3:29 pm

I installed front seat retractable belts from a '83 Vanagon, and they work great. I had to make an 'L' bracket for the floor mount, whereas the Vanagon has 'em mounted on the wall. Do a seatch on that other VW site..look for 'Retractable seatbelt bracket'
I also had to put a spacer on the wall, between where the belt attaches to the wall and the belt holder, so it would move freely and not hang up.
The passenger side reciever is a little lower than the stock one, but it hasn't been a problem. Drivers side reciever seems to bee the same length.
All and all a very easy and extremely worthwhile upgrade.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:59 am

Here's a write-up I did when I installed the Vanagon belts lo these many years ago.

viewtopic.php?t=5480
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!