Driving to Peoria

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Driving to Peoria

Post by drober23 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 am

Traveling for work, yet again. This time I decided to take the bus, because as my 9 year old son says "It's always more fun to take the bus!". It is about 400 miles from Carleton, MI (just south of Detroit Metro Airport) to Peoria. I took Interstate highways there, running about 65 mph. I-80 gets almost relaxing once you leave Chicago behind.

Lasalle, Illinois has the JC Whitney Outlet Center - Open to the Public! i couldn't resist, while thinking to myself "nothing good can come from this". I was right. It was like an oversized FLAPS with a few extra things and a small RV section. But now i know, so it won't continue to perster me as I drive by.

Once I left Lasalle, I took US 6 a bit. It is part of the "Illinois River Road" which is the collection of roads that parallel the river through the great state of Illinois. US 6 eventually gave way to Illinois 29, which winds along the river through little towns like Henry, Sparland, and Chillicothe.

I'm in Peoria for three days, then headed back to Michigan. But those three days will be more fun in the bus than they would have been in my Ford Focus station wagon. :-)
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

yondermtn
Old School!

Re: Driving to Peoria

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:59 am

Sounds like fun. Check out Starved Rock State Park if you have the time on your way home.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 7:19 am

yondermtn wrote:Sounds like fun. Check out Starved Rock State Park if you have the time on your way home.
I've camped at Starved Rock a couple of times and its a nice park. If you are there you can't miss a hike in Matthiessen State Park, a few miles down the road, either
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wma8s95NoAY

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:38 am

Yes, good suggestion. We found Matthiessen when we were at Staved Rock and it was really crowded there. It does get busy on weekends, but during the week it should be nice.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:41 am

yondermtn wrote:Yes, good suggestion. We found Matthiessen when we were at Staved Rock and it was really crowded there. It does get busy on weekends, but during the week it should be nice.
I guess it was during the week when we were there too because I don't remember it being crowded. Is the lodge at Starved Rock a good place to eat?

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:37 am

It looked pretty good, but we went on a really nice fall weekend and the place was literally packed with people. We did a quick walk around the place because we were there and then headed over Mathiessen(which was also a little crowded).

Next time, I'd go during the week like you did. White Pine State Park in Oregon, IL is also a nice place with an old lodge.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:04 am

JC used to have a counter on the S. Side of Chicago in an old industrial art-deco complex. I wasted too much time and money there on crappy parts.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:46 pm

So one of my co-workers who also had to come to Peoria looks at the bus and says "Wow, you drove that down here?!?"

To which I responed "Nope. Had it shipped."

Co-worker "Really?"

pause.... Me: "No, I drove it."

Then he called me a dick. :-) Good times.
DJ

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:52 pm

Ha!

That's better than the question I seem to get.

So, are you a hippie?
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

jeb1978
Getting Hooked!

Post by jeb1978 » Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:37 pm

I've heard good things about the new CAT visitor's center downtown, would be a good visit.

If you are heading north out of Peoria on the way home, cross to the east side of the Illinois River and take IL 26. It runs parallel to IL 29 but on the other side of the river.

Once you get to Hennepin, take IL 71 east, it's a nice drive around the south edge of Starved Rock state park, it intersects US 6 after you cross the Illinois River in Ottawa.

The Farm and Fleet store in Ottawa (north of I-80 on IL 23) is one of my favorite stores of all time; they have a little of everything and good prices.

US 6 parallels the Illinois River on the north banks pretty much from Spring Valley to Morris, it's a nice drive as well.

Once you're to Joliet, may as well stay on I-80 and keep going east... there's some neat Route 66 stuff to see, but it's all heading north into Chicago and not where you are going.
1969 Westfalia 1600cc single port

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Aug 27, 2013 5:34 am

Didn't make it to the visitor center. But I saw lots of their R&D center.

When I got home, I loaded up Gabriel (9 now), my brother in law and his 12 year old son and drove 200 miles north to my Dad's cabin in Harrison, MI (North of Clare). We camped in the bus while working on the cabin. The brother in law slept in a different camper, but the two kids and me stayed in the bus. 'Cause the bus is much more fun!

The poor cabin is in danger of disintegrating if we don't get some stuff fixed on it. This last weekend was the roof. More to follow up there.

The bus has been running great, but the last 500 miles or so, every now and again it acts like it's "cutting out". When it cuts out, the engine actually stops firing and the alternator light will come on in a few seconds after it starts if it lasts that long. Then it will cut back in and run fine for quite a few miles before acting up again. Very reminiscent of Aopisa's issue, except mine doesn't buck (cutting in and out quickly), it simply drops out for several seconds at a time, then starts running fine again.

I suspect an ignition issue of some sort, and will start to address it by re-re-cleaning the grounds as a first step. Then we'll see where its at again. Want to get this buttoned up before its time to park the bus for the winter.

It has been a good bus driving season though! I put about 8,000 miles on the bus so far, including the 5,000 mile vacation trip. No real trouble all summer until this (and the headlight issue, but that was easy). It's been a joy to drive and camp in the bus this year!
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 27, 2013 6:09 am

drober23 wrote: It has been a good bus driving season though!
It has! All two thirds of it so far . . .
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Tue Sep 17, 2013 4:14 pm

Updating the "cutting out" issue. I opened the AFM and noticed that the fuel pump did not ALWAYS immediately come on when it should. I had the ignition on, and was moving the wiper arm, and sometimes the fuel pump did not come on. Most of the time it did, but not always.

I cleaned the connection points in there and re-bent the copper strip a bit to make a better contact. I expect this should take care of my cutting out (this time...).
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:21 pm

drober23 wrote:Updating the "cutting out" issue. I opened the AFM and noticed that the fuel pump did not ALWAYS immediately come on when it should. I had the ignition on, and was moving the wiper arm, and sometimes the fuel pump did not come on. Most of the time it did, but not always.

I cleaned the connection points in there and re-bent the copper strip a bit to make a better contact. I expect this should take care of my cutting out (this time...).
Mandatory update once you have confirmed . . . :bounce:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:18 pm

I can confirm this is still a problem :silent:

Went to drive the bus to work today and it would start, and run for two seconds, then stall. Put the ignition on, opened the afm and moved the wiper and nothing. Touched the copper strip (which by all appearances was in contact with the point it needed to be) and the fuel pump clicks on. Release the wiper and repeat the procedure with the same results.

After a bit of futzing with it, I got it to reliably engage the fuel pump when it should, and I drove to work. No issues to or from work (total of 65 miles or so). The little copper strip is discolored where it engages its electrical contact. I'll have to get a magnifying glass and have a better look at it in some good light.
DJ