Fun on the road... (headlights out)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Fun on the road... (headlights out)

Post by drober23 » Sat Aug 10, 2013 6:28 am

I drove the '75 Westfalia to Pennsylvania a bit ago. On the way home, driving on the Ohio Turnpike at about 10:00 pm, my headlights went out. I still had dashboard lights and running/brake lights. Hmmm... I drove the 11 miles to get me to the next Service Plaza. Figured that I was as visible from behind as always, and that the bus was not in danger of passing anyone so the missing headlights weren't so bad. It was raining pretty heavily, and I was sure it was just a blown fuse. Figured I would swap it out under the shelter of the gas station area.

I grabbed a flashlight, and looked at the fuses. They were all fine. Hmmm.... Then I noticed that turning the light switch off did not turn off the dashboard lights. If I messed with the switch a bit, I was able to get the dashboard lights to go out, but not to get the headlights on.

I pulled into one of the "Vehicle Maintenance Only" parking spots and began to think. Out came the multimeter, which told me that voltage was not getting to the low beam or high beam wires on the switch. When I jumped power to the wires the lights worked fine. The light switch failed. Blerg! But, it was easy enough to rig up a temporary connection from a known power source (Silver Socket wire) to get the lights on so I could drive home.

When my wife heard my tale, her response was "You keep a multimeter, tools, wires, and fittings in your bus all the time?" I guess I do! Anyway, now that the bus is home it is time to dig through my pile of stuff and see if I have a light switch to swap in.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Fun on the road... (headlights out)

Post by Bleyseng » Sat Aug 10, 2013 8:23 am

just take the light switch apart and see whats the problem. Usually its just the contacts need cleaning.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:19 pm

Bleysing,
I was wondering if there were user-serviceable parts inside that switch. I'll take it apart and have a look at it.
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:56 pm

You are aware that the headlamps both get their power from ignition switch terminal "X", powered only with the ignition on?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:02 pm

drober23 wrote:
When my wife heard my tale, her response was "You keep a multimeter, tools, wires, and fittings in your bus all the time?" I guess I do! Anyway, now that the bus is home it is time to dig through my pile of stuff and see if I have a light switch to swap in.
So why don't you just carry a spare light switch with you too? They are cheap and small, and a spare in the glove box will almost guarantee you will never need it (at least that is the way things work in my world).

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sun Aug 18, 2013 2:38 pm

Tim, I never thought I would need to apply the "repair talisman" theory with a light switch. First one I have had fail ever.
DJ