The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Re: The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Post by jackstar » Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 am

A slight update. My bus is an ADHD dream. Just as you start 5 steps to a task, you realize you can only accomplish 3 because of a needed part, needed painting on a hidden rusting part, or you have to fix 2 things before you can reassemble the parts you are working on presently. Doing doors is a lot like that, especially when you do 2 of them. Finally got the driver's door finished minus the armrest and speaker. I may cut out the door card at a later date to fit a speaker or find another place to put it. I remember an old saying from when I rode Harley's, "Chrome don't get you home." That was said mainly to fancy looking bike riders with lots of chrome from rat bike riders that were true and reliable. Speakers don't allow you to driver your bus anyway.
If I can find the radio strap flat bladed screw today I will finish putting in the newly painted metal dash. I left, for another day the broken heater cable that switches the Y at midbus. Again, whether it is cold or not, I am going to drive the bus. I have to finish the passenger door with card and arm rest also and after that it is the door seals. I have good German grey seals with the proper square corners. The next thing is the pedestal mats to glue down while the seats are being recovered. I went with 80ish Vanagon seats as they were very comfy. They are being recovered in Westy brown plaid and brown vinyl trim. In the meantime I will be putting the rear lights together and on, hoping I don't have to reorder those. Once I have seats, seals, and lights, I will be road worthy. Minus a windshield of course.
I need suggestions on where to get a good windshield. New is okay. No one ships used windshields anyway. Thanks for reading. As soon as Colin gets a decent way to list photos I will post some. Hey Robbie.

Jack

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Apr 18, 2017 6:47 am

jackstar wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:02 am
I need suggestions on where to get a good windshield. New is okay.
Jack

Call:
Lloyd's Glass Pensacola
6310 N Palafox St
Pensacola, FL 32503
850-476-6340

They should have access to a large database of availability. PPG is good, FS is sort of not very chip-resistant.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles