The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 26, 2013 11:15 am

by jackstar » Tue Jul 09, 2013 3:35 pm

Colin,

Client is out of jail and came by today to set schedule for soda blast/sand blast body work, primer and paint!! Who says crime doesn't pay??
Jack
Thu Jul 11, 2013 3:59 am

Dropped of the bus at the soda blaster yesterday morning just in time for the afternoon rains. Hopefully it is done and I can get it back to the garage by tomorrow to start sand blasting the rust and the body work. I have pictures just not sure how to upload them. Gotta full day in court so I will let you know how it looks when I can. Take care and use plenty of SPF 50 In the PNW.

Jack

Jack,

Host pictures off-site (I use Photobucket) and just make sure you have the
[IMG]*your picture's address here*[\IMG]
surrounding the file that ends with a .jpg as you copy/paste them through your text.

I am taking your always welcome contribution off of this thread and onto the Type2 forum.
PM me with a name for your thread. It will be all yours to fill up with the exciting story of how lowdown criminals can help upstanding citizens keep their precious assets from rusting to death.
ColinsunnyInUtah
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Re: The Jackstar Westfalia Restoration Thread

Post by jackstar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:36 pm

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Fri Jul 26, 2013 10:55 pm

Colin,

This is what she looked like when she got to the shop. Since then I have taken the windows out and have started in earnest on the body work starting at the rear passenger side. It should be ready for priming this weekend. Only doing a panel at a time to maintain quality. Hoping to have the passenger side done (prepped and primed) in the next week. Then it is on to the front and other side. Once the sides are prepped and primed and secure then the actual painting will begin.

This is slow tedious work that I could not do as I do not have the skill set nor the time. My client that has been doing this for 30 years is doing all of it in my office garage. I am simply buying supplies and he is providing the labor. FYI: based on what I have paid for supplies, P&B work aint cheap!! I have about $2K in supplies and paint etc. so far. So, when someone of quality quotes you 8-10K on a good paint job they aren't far off the mark assuming they are giving you quality work.

I know a lot of people say a roller job is good enough for them based on budget and tastes. However, if you can afford to throw some coin at the project then it will pay dividends in the end. If all goes right, then this bus should outlast me, and I am not going anywhere soon.

I'll try to post more photos tomorrow. Take care.

Jack

(highlighted each link and hit the IMG button-edit)

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:06 am

You say you soda blasted the bus, I'm curious how that went. I always hear people recommend not media blasting the body because the heat causes the panels to warp. Also, did you leave all the hardware on when it was blasted? Seems like you'd want to remove all of the windows, mirrors, door handles, etc. before starting.

It's looking good so far.
Jonathan
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:55 am

Jonathan,

As I am told by the guy that does it for a living, the soda media is a crystal that expends all of its energy at 200 PSI as it hits the paint. It does nothing for rust, just paint. It takes the paint off down to the original metal finish from the factory. That is why it does not rust right away if the bus is not primed right after blasting. By using soda there is no heat build up like sand. From where the paint is on the top up to the bottom of the tent, that will be hand sanded using a DA. There is no need to take off any hardware to soda blast but you will need to take windows, handles, mirrors etc off to get the fine point areas and to paint.

On this bus, I am very fortunate there is very little damage or rust. On the driver's side the metal got pushed in and was pulled out then bondo'd. It will be pulled out a bit more then skim coated to even out the lines. The drip rails on top will be sand blasted/wire brushed and then All Metal will be used to fill any imperfections. So far so good. Now if the weather (hurricane season) and the humidity will cooperate it will go alittle faster. I'll try to post some more picks to thread this weekend. Thanks for looking.

P.S. Since I will be putting a solid piece of glass back in the driver's rear window instead of the vent wing window, if anyone needs one I have it and the large piece of glass that it comes with.

Jack

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Sun Jul 28, 2013 11:05 am

This is the progress we made on Friday. Only the first coat of primer. Still has to be blocked and primed at least 2 more times. Trying to get the Front passenger door done this week. Tomorrow the undercoating is reshot as it was taken off during the soda blasting. Good news is the underside is solid and dry. Thanks for looking and have a good week.

Jack

jonyem
Getting Hooked!

Post by jonyem » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:03 pm

That is very interesting, thanks for sharing. I have a relative that does sandblasting I will have to ask if he does soda blasting too.

Your progress is looking good.
Late 1973 ASI/Riviera conversion.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:56 am

jackstar wrote: Only the first coat of primer. Still has to be blocked and primed at least 2 more times.
Jack
Good to see! I have been waiting for that bus to get a coat of paint worthy of its mechanical underpinnings.
Colin

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:06 pm

Here are some more pics along with the foreman.

The furniture was taken out and the floor washed and rinsed. Next the surface rust was hit with a Purple wheel and it was next roughed up with a red scrubby pad. After that it was cleaned with grease and wax remover. The black was shot on it afterwards. It is Raptor bed liner. This weekend Mexican Beige will be shot over the black and then clear coated.

The next chore is to remove the upper bed and paint the inside top. I also have to resurface the interior ceiling that is above the rear seat. Any hints on how to take the upper bed out is appreciated. Until later, take care.

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:12 pm

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 14, 2013 5:34 pm

jackstar wrote:two what look like older pics
These most recent pics look out of sequence. What is up with them?

Upper bed disassembly? I don't know. What does Bentley say?
Colin

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Mon Sep 16, 2013 10:44 am

The pictures with black bed liner are the latest pics. The black cat in the bag just got out. I know not of this Bentley of whom you speak. Is he of this realm? I shall inquire of the Great and All Powerful Wizard.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Sep 17, 2013 7:03 am

jackstar wrote:The pictures with black bed liner are the latest pics. The black cat in the bag just got out. I know not of this Bentley of whom you speak. Is he of this realm? I shall inquire of the Great and All Powerful Wizard.
Bentley is a quaint and stilted old chap with terrible recall and oft-incorrect advice and dubious suppositions, he is rather green of hue but sometimes turns blue in the sunlight.
Obtain at once.
Colin

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:17 am

Here are some pics of putting the color and clear on the interior of the bus with a coat of clear. Presently it has a 2 coats of black bed liner followed by 2 coats of Mexican Beige, followed by 1 coat of clear. Next is the top half of the interior. I have to take the upper bed out first.
[imghttp://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/jackatlaw/Counts2_zps322f6721.jpg][/img]
[imghttp://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/jackatlaw/color2_zps025ef2eb.jpg][/img]

jackstar
Getting Hooked!

Post by jackstar » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:18 am

[imghttp://i1298.photobucket.com/albums/ag59/jackatlaw/color2_zps025ef2eb.jpg][/img]