Return of bucking. A jinx and a curse? Solved!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Re: Return of bucking. A jinx and a curse? Now with video!

Post by Gypsie » Mon Jul 29, 2013 10:11 am

Could be that the TSII is not functioning properly or not grounding well in it's hole. Thourough clean of the hole and TSII (with a nasty ol' take off eveything solvent" then blown out with compressed air to take out anything that will interfere with metal to metal connection). P'raps there's some goop in there (or even a fine coat of hot varnished oil in the threads). That TSII can be a bugger sometimes.

When you put the new TSII in, how easy was it to thread in? Could the wire coming off it have been kinked or muscled around to the point where the wire inside was compromised? Can you get it to "flicker" on an ohm meter by testing impedance and wiggling the wire around?

Just 2C and a desire to see this issue resolved...
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 11:32 am

Gypsie wrote: When you put the new TSII in, how easy was it to thread in? Could the wire coming off it have been kinked or muscled around to the point where the wire inside was compromised? Can you get it to "flicker" on an ohm meter by testing impedance and wiggling the wire around?
The sensor comes out pretty easily. Going in is more difficult. The engine tin has slipped down just enough to make it block the hole by a few millimeters. It's hard to grab the tin, pull it up a little and thread the hole because of the tight angles and close quarters down there.

When I was installing the new sensor last year I found the connecting wire to be very brittle, so I installed a new short section of wire and male spade.

Right now there is a VW supplied 'spacer' in the hole. The TSll screws into the spacer. Supposedly this part was installed by the PO to correct issues with warming up. This part is not supposed to affect the engine when warm. I have run the bus both with this part in and out with no discernible difference. I think Colin may have reinstalled it as it makes removing and installing the actual sensor much easier because of the problem with the tin blocking the hole.

I have yet to install the new TSll sensor that I just received from Bus Depot. I will do that and also double check connections and continuity while I am working there.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:20 pm

Male spade? What? Take a picture of this. TS2 comes with a female spade terminal. If you cut the wiring harness and installed a new male terminal, i hope you made sure it is insulated terminal. If that thing touches the body it will..... well ground, and instantly lean your BUS!!!! Pictures, please.
1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)
1993 Ford F-250 XL LWB Extended Cab 7.3L IDI

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:46 pm

luftvagon wrote:Male spade? What? Take a picture of this. TS2 comes with a female spade terminal. If you cut the wiring harness and installed a new male terminal, i hope you made sure it is insulated terminal. If that thing touches the body it will..... well ground, and instantly lean your BUS!!!! Pictures, please.
Sorry, my mistake, that was a typo. Yes, female spade on TSll and it is insulated and away from anything that may cause it to ground.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Jul 29, 2013 3:33 pm

Is the male spade insulated and is the wire extension correctly terminated. I use non insulated butt-splice connectors with heat shrink tubing over them. Works like a charm, and have never had issues with my wiring.

1981 Volkswagen Vanagon Westfalia - air-cooled Type4 1970cc CV (hydraulic lifters, 42x36 valves, stock cam, microSquirt FI with wasted spark ignition)

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:07 am

aopisa wrote:Right now there is a VW supplied 'spacer' in the hole. The TSll screws into the spacer. Supposedly this part was installed by the PO to correct issues with warming up. This part is not supposed to affect the engine when warm. I have run the bus both with this part in and out with no discernible difference. I think Colin may have reinstalled it as it makes removing and installing the actual sensor much easier because of the problem with the tin blocking the hole.
Ratwell has a good article on TSII, including a blurb on the spacer and its purpose. Having the spacer in there does double the number of places where your path to ground can get compromised. When you replace the TSII with the new one, consider backing out the spacer by a smidge (half-turn or so) squirting some DeOxit between the spacer and the head, then snugging the spacer back down. When the new TSII is installed, measure resistance from the sensor body to ground and confirm that it's zero ohms.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:25 am

I am yet to see results of ohm testing from negative side of the battery to every ground point on the engine, including tranny to engine strap.

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:36 am

luftvagon wrote:I am yet to see results of ohm testing from negative side of the battery to every ground point on the engine, including tranny to engine strap.
:salute:

Please explain. Do I need to attach a long wire to the negative terminal in order to reach all the way under the bus with my meter to check the transmission ground strap? What resistance am I looking for, any, zero, infinite?

Which ground points?

On back of plenum?
Ground strap?
Double relay?
???

Sorry for the basic questions. Not great with this stuff and even worse with electrical which is probably why I have not solved this yet....
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Tue Jul 30, 2013 10:03 am

Yes, get a long cable and attach it to - terminal. Run the cable all the way back, and use ohm meter to test resistance between the cable, and all known ground points for LJet. It should be 0 ohm resistance.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Aug 03, 2013 8:46 am

aopisa wrote: Right now there is a VW supplied 'spacer' in the hole.
I think Colin may have reinstalled it as it makes removing and installing easier because of the problem with the tin blocking the hole.

I have yet to install the new TSll sensor that I just received from Bus Depot. I will do that and also double check connections and continuity while I am working there.
You can loosen all of the screws holding the left side cover tin to see if you can re-position the whole thing to a more-agreeable spot for the TS II.
I look forward to seeing this engine.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:36 pm

:happy1:

Anything new to report? Below is the link to my bucking string/post. Maybe you will find something in there that will help...I am curious to know what the root cause is.

viewtopic.php?f=50&t=6621&p=172648&hili ... ng#p172648
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Aug 05, 2013 2:43 pm

I have not had a lot of time. I was also getting a little burned out by getting nowhere.

However, it just so happens that I installed a fuel pressure gauge, but the engine was behaving normally again...until today. Took it for a short drive and got some immediate bucking. Fuel pressure held steady at around 30psi while I manually advanced the throttle as the engine hesitated.

So, leaning toward electrical? Not sure what to do next. I guess I will check resistance to all grounds. I will also check the resistance of all wires in the ECU plug per Bentley.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:20 pm

and you confirmed TSII is nice and tight and resistance between connector and ground is there? how bout resistance from ECU main harness plug to ground? another thing to test is (-) side of coil to ECU main harness plug resistance?

56ovalbug
Getting Hooked!

Post by 56ovalbug » Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:46 pm

Since you mentioned a few replies back that when you grounded the wire that goes to the TSII the problem seemed to go away. I would replace the TSII. Care must be taken when installing the sensor. The wire can easily be damaged where it exits the sensor.
Joey

'56 Beetle|'65 Beetle|'74 Bus|'79 Panel|’60 Kombi

luftvagon
Old School!

Post by luftvagon » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:28 pm

Maybe I just need to fly up there and motivate this boy to get his wagon ahoy!