Return of bucking. A jinx and a curse? Solved!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Re: Return of bucking. A jinx and a curse? Possible Solution

Post by drober23 » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:15 am

The dim light means there is a mismatch between the voltage coming from your red power wire, and the voltage coming from the alternator's blue wire. 15.1 and 14.9 seem kinda high to me, and likely higher than the battery voltage at the time. The difference would cause the light to glow dimly.

Do try a different regulator and report back.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

aopisa
Addicted!

Re: Return of bucking. A jinx and a curse? Solved!

Post by aopisa » Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

I just wanted to check in and report that I have now logged over 1,000 trouble free miles with not one hesitation or buck. The bus seems to accelerate and have more hill climbing power than I can remember. Thanks again everyone for all of your help, support and suggestions.

The alternator light still glows, but Colin will be here in a few weeks and I need to have something for him to do! :geek:
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Sep 09, 2013 10:01 am

aopisa wrote:I just wanted to check in and report that I have now logged over 1,000 trouble free miles with not one hesitation or buck. The bus seems to accelerate and have more hill climbing power than I can remember. Thanks again everyone for all of your help, support and suggestions.

The alternator light still glows, but Colin will be here in a few weeks and I need to have something for him to do! :geek:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495284

I used the above guide when trying to track my cause down. It never went away, but everything I did seemed to make it slightly dimmer.
Cleaned up grounds, new VR, new ignition switch (since failed). It doesn't bother me anymore, but if this is the highest priority on the bust repair list currently - your doing great. =)
1979 California Transporter

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:00 pm

airkooledchris wrote:
aopisa wrote:I just wanted to check in and report that I have now logged over 1,000 trouble free miles with not one hesitation or buck. The bus seems to accelerate and have more hill climbing power than I can remember. Thanks again everyone for all of your help, support and suggestions.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=495284

I used the above guide when trying to track my cause down. It never went away, but everything I did seemed to make it slightly dimmer.
Cleaned up grounds, new VR, new ignition switch (since failed). It doesn't bother me anymore, but if this is the highest priority on the bust repair list currently - your doing great. =)
Thanks for the link.

I wouldn't say it was my highest priority, but it's the one that is staring me in the face every time I drive it.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Mon Sep 09, 2013 9:19 pm

That's excellent news indeed! My van, when it runs well, is a joy to drive. And the things that crop up from time to time, while driving me crazy for sure, also remind me of the frailty of pleasure in this weary world. Enjoy the ride... it's all too short.

Michael L