Instrument Cluster

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Instrument Cluster

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:58 am

I want to clean up the instrument cluster from my 1975 riviera. But before i do i thought that I'd practice on the instrument cluster from my old 1976 parts bus.

Anything that I should know before I dig into this thing?

I'm thinking that I'd like to modify a nice (stock-looking) tach to put into the clock-blank and upgrade the lightning like Richard Atwell recommended.
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Re: Instrument Cluster

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Feb 17, 2013 1:30 pm

do not replace the ALT. light with an LED it will not exite your ALT. and you will be running on batteries
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Feb 17, 2013 2:10 pm

The vanagons have LED alt lights, they excite just fine. I know they are resisted, as led's usually need to be, but it works somehow. I could ask my alternator guy what he thinks.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:34 pm

DjEep wrote:The vanagons have LED alt lights, they excite just fine. I know they are resisted, as led's usually need to be, but it works somehow. I could ask my alternator guy what he thinks.
I'm with vistacruzer . . . everyone only *thinks* they want all this stupid brightness, the original lighting behind clean glass is pretty much perfect.
SAYS I, THAT'S WHO.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

BellePlaine
IAC Addict!

Post by BellePlaine » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:48 pm

Thanks re: LED lighting. LED wasn't on my radar. I was mainly thinking of a higher wattage incandescent bulb for the back light. Now, what about a decent looking tach?

Haven't yet taken the back cover off; I can't find a 6mm socket!
1975 Riviera we call "Spider-Man"

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:38 pm

BellePlaine wrote: Now, what about a decent looking tach?
Back when I had a '69 I used a 3 1/8" aftermarket VDO Cockpit tach. I cut a retaining ring with tabs for the mounting screws out of sheet metal to hold it in the clock location.

If you desire a cleaner solution, German Supply has a custom mounting ring for the VDO tach here: http://www.germansupply.com/home/custom ... hp?cat=435. I'm sure other vendors must have the same item as well.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

aopisa
Addicted!

Post by aopisa » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:35 pm

BellePlaine wrote:Thanks re: LED lighting. LED wasn't on my radar. I was mainly thinking of a higher wattage incandescent bulb for the back light. Now, what about a decent looking tach?

Haven't yet taken the back cover off; I can't find a 6mm socket!
I put the higher watt bulbs (per Ratwell) in and I like them very much. I found the stock lights were too dim and these seem just right.
1977 Westy 2.0L F.I.

Flow with whatever may happen and let your mind be free. Stay centered by accepting whatever you are doing. This is the ultimate. - Chuang Tzu

jtauxe
Addicted!

Post by jtauxe » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:49 pm

I put red LEDs in for back lighting, but discovered that they did not work correctly for the ALT light, and so went back to that as incandescent. In the end, I retained the incandescents for all the indicators lights (ALT, OIL, turn signals, etc.) but have the basic gauge lighting in red LED. I love it. There's reason that sailors use red lights in the wheelhouse at night.
John
"The bus came by and I got on. That's when it all began..." - Garcia/Weir/Kreutzman
http://vw.tauxe.net

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am

jtauxe wrote:I put red LEDs in for the basic gauge lighting. I love it. There's reason that sailors use red lights in the wheelhouse at night.
As a lifelong BMW driver, I get it, I get it, BUT . . . you Volkswagen DNA destroyers, um, anyways.
Colin :geek:
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

rallybug
Getting Hooked!

Post by rallybug » Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:11 pm

In a similar vein, I have a spare cluster and a spare glove box lid - my intention, when I pluck up the courage, is to replace the clock hole area with a new blank from the glove box lid, then fit four 52mm gauges in there (probably CHT, Oil temp, Oil pressure and a small rev counter)....

I have a radio blank from Werksberg that I may fit with a 52mm clock (or a digital one), along with a couple of gimbal mounted cup holders, if I can find somewhere else to put a stereo, either under the dash or in the glovebox (although, if in the glovebox, I don't want to lose half the space like a lot of people have done - maybe create something that will hold the stereo but still have storage space above it..)
Harvee the Wonder Bus - a 1979 CA-spec 7-seater bus

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:33 pm

rallybug wrote:my intention, when I pluck up the courage, is to replace the clock hole area with a new blank from the glove box lid, then fit four 52mm gauges in there (probably CHT, Oil temp, Oil pressure and a small rev counter)....
For only a little more than you would end up paying for those four gauges, you could have this: http://www.mglavionics.com/html/velocity_singles.html (scroll down to the E1), and it will give you more information with better accuracy (particularly the quad CHT portion). I bet it would look better, too.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

pb24ss
Old School!
Location: sitting around the fire with the bluegrass band - colorado

Post by pb24ss » Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:49 pm

www.bus-boys.com part # 220-09101 mounting ring mounts a tach in the clock hole.
78 P22 Westy

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Wed Mar 20, 2013 8:23 pm

rallybug wrote:I can find somewhere else to put a stereo, either under the dash or in the glovebox
Maybe an overhead console on the ceiling, something like this:
or this:

Just a thought...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:35 pm

tristessa wrote: Maybe an overhead console on the ceiling,
Just a thought...
:cussing: