Disneyland Trip

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Disneyland Trip

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jan 30, 2013 8:04 am

Yes, cut over to 101 at Grants Pass and drive to SF. I have done it a few times
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:45 am

Even for PNW dwellers, the Redwoods are not to be missed. Period.
Same goes for the coast directly south of Monterey and Carmel. Big Sur is an absolute must. By all means, though, at least go as far south as the Bixby Bridge.

If you're schedule challenged, I'd suggest a little backtracking at Carmel, which is just north of most of the really good Cali coast stuff. Once you pass Carmel southbound, you're stuck on the coast forever, and that is one slow road. CA 68 looks like a good choice to get you back to 101, which is Interstate spec in that area.

Always remember Peter's First Rule of USA Highway Travel:
"Interstates are like a meal at McDonalds. They're not a meal, they're a solution to a problem."

Also, a private (well, sorta private) note to satchmo: I, too suffer PTSD from the "Small World" ride; and that's from an injury sustained at least 40 years ago. So far, the drugs are mitigating the symptoms nicely, doctor.
Also, "Monterray" is in Mexico. :bootyshake:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Jan 30, 2013 11:52 am

tristessa wrote:Unless you're in a hurry or have a specific reason to go that way, I'd skip most of that I-5 stretch between Roseburg and Vallejo. Hop off in Grants Pass and take Highway 199 from there to Crescent City and Highway 101 from there to San Francisco. Heck, maybe do your first night stop in Grants Pass and look up Barry ( justgimmiecoffee) since he lives there these days...
Third this suggestion. There's plenty of decent hotels and 'city stuff' in Eureka if you happen upon here at nighttime, and Ive done Eureka to Monterrey in a single day no problem (not via CA-1, but the 101 up here is equally amazing)
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:24 pm

bajaman72 wrote:the majority of 17-Mile Drive is owned and operated by the Pebble Beach Corporation"
My uncle raced 17 mile drive in 1950 in a Jaguar XK-120. Won the race too, with no brakes left and no clutch pedal.
ColinCorporation
"now pay up"
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jan 31, 2013 8:38 am

Since we're somewhat time limited, I think we'll be forced to stick with I-5 through Northern CA. Since CA-1 from Monterrey to SLO is a "do not miss at all costs" I think we'll hit that on the way down for sure. Then if time permits on the way home we'll take 101 from SF to Grants Pass and catch the redwoods. With careful planning and a good dose of Trumbo-luck, things should work out nicely.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:47 am

Good plan as I am sure the kids don't want to miss out on the Trees of Mystery and Paul Bunyan.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Thu Jan 31, 2013 10:04 am

don't forget to get your bus in this shot along the way, if you do take the 101 north or south:

There's two of them. One is south of Eureka (this one) and one further north. If you have a westy top id maybe go to the one north of Eureka on the way towards Crescent City
1979 California Transporter

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jan 31, 2013 2:55 pm

airkooledchris wrote:don't forget to get your bus in this shot along the way,If you have a westy top id maybe go to the one north of Eureka on the way towards Crescent City
That would be the one that Ratwell did with his Westy.

I never got that shot, in my efforts to avoid tourism, made my own shots here and there.

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Jan 31, 2013 9:24 pm

airkooledchris wrote:One is south of Eureka (this one) and one further north. If you have a westy top id maybe go to the one north of Eureka on the way towards Crescent City
I definitely would try the one north of Eureka if you've got a poptop. Years ago I tried the Chandler Tree with my Westy and had to back out because there just wasn't enough vertical clearance -- and that was with undersized passenger tires.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Fri Feb 01, 2013 11:05 am

Sounds like a great trip.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:10 am

tristessa wrote:Unless you're in a hurry or have a specific reason to go that way, I'd skip most of that I-5 stretch between Roseburg and Vallejo. Hop off in Grants Pass and take Highway 199 from there to Crescent City and Highway 101 from there to San Francisco. Heck, maybe do your first night stop in Grants Pass and look up Barry ( justgimmiecoffee) since he lives there these days...

I also highly suggest the 199 route as well (Grants Pass-Crescent City, Ca). Interstate 5 is Booooooooooring and not bus friendly. The 199 will put you in position for the Redwoods. As for 101 vs route...in the unlikley event you have an issue you are far better off on the 101 than the 5. You have more stops but also more oppurtunities for parts/help if needed. Going this route will not take any longer than going the 5.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 8:30 am

tristessa wrote:Unless you're in a hurry or have a specific reason to go that way, I'd skip most of that I-5 stretch between Roseburg and Vallejo.
72Hardtop wrote:I also highly suggest the 199 route as well (Grants Pass-Crescent City, Ca)... Going this route will not take any longer than going the 5.
These two statements seem to contradict. According to Google, the I-5 route is two hours "quicker" than 199/101. Part of the decision making is how long each leg of the trip takes. The current plan is to take I-5 from Roseburg to the Bay Area on the way down and 101/199 on the way home to experience the redwoods. This, of course, barring any mutiny mounted by my able crew.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:27 am

Keep in mind Google isn't using a bus for stats that include grades as well. And there is also the 'What if's...breakdown/s. Not that it will happen but you are driving a 35+ year old vehicle and the 5 has some very isolated stretches.
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

westyfrank
I'm New!

Post by westyfrank » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 am

Hey Dick

What are the dates for your trip? I'm thinking of taking almost that same trip. I'm in early planning stages, but I was thinking I would leave Portland Aug. 19th and arrive in San Diego the afternoon of the 24th. (We got a house for a week down there). I'm going to try camping as much as we can stand. I'll be traveling with four kids. I'll also be the sole driver. (Is it safe to drive on heavy doses of Xanax?) So I want to keep my agenda open if it gets to be too much to slowly work my way down. From my brief experience with the Redwoods, it seems like that is a place where you could easily spend days, although I was there after the tourist season. In the summer is it a hot mess of crowded campsites and traffic?
I agree with Hal that YA GOTTA cut over in Grants Pass and head to the redwoods. I drove that route this fall and it was awesome! I didnt have time to linger, but I swore that I would travel that road again when I could take some time with it.

I want to stop in Oakland, (sisters live there), Monterey (aquarium), and Disneyland on the way down. Monterey could be skipped, I think, if I need to make up time or miles. I hear the aquarium is awesome. Is it THAT awesome? I'd appreciate hearing what people think of it. Disneyland, I think, will be a must. I have a feeling that it will be the carrot for motivating four kids to be good little travellers. I've withstood the the Small World ride before. I think I can do it again(is it safe to go on rides while on heavy doses of Xanax?). God help me...

Trip back will be as much I-5 as I can stand. Probably overnight in San Francisco.

What do you all think?

Frank

satchmo
Old School!

Post by satchmo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:45 pm

westyfrank wrote:Hey Dick

What are the dates for your trip? I'm thinking of taking almost that same trip. I'm in early planning stages, but I was thinking I would leave Portland Aug. 19th and arrive in San Diego the afternoon of the 24th. (We got a house for a week down there). I'm going to try camping as much as we can stand. I'll be traveling with four kids. I'll also be the sole driver. (Is it safe to drive on heavy doses of Xanax?) So I want to keep my agenda open if it gets to be too much to slowly work my way down. From my brief experience with the Redwoods, it seems like that is a place where you could easily spend days, although I was there after the tourist season. In the summer is it a hot mess of crowded campsites and traffic?
I agree with Hal that YA GOTTA cut over in Grants Pass and head to the redwoods. I drove that route this fall and it was awesome! I didnt have time to linger, but I swore that I would travel that road again when I could take some time with it.

I want to stop in Oakland, (sisters live there), Monterey (aquarium), and Disneyland on the way down. Monterey could be skipped, I think, if I need to make up time or miles. I hear the aquarium is awesome. Is it THAT awesome? I'd appreciate hearing what people think of it. Disneyland, I think, will be a must. I have a feeling that it will be the carrot for motivating four kids to be good little travellers. I've withstood the the Small World ride before. I think I can do it again(is it safe to go on rides while on heavy doses of Xanax?). God help me...

Trip back will be as much I-5 as I can stand. Probably overnight in San Francisco.

What do you all think?

Frank
Your plan sounds eminently doable and fun. I did Grants Pass to Crescent City, then down Hwy 1 cutting over to the 101 close to Healdsburg (wine country) in my 73 bus. It was a great trip. There is no easy way through or around San Francisco. You have to go through Monterrey to travel along the Big Sur coast, so the aquarium isn't much out of the way.

Xanax probably isn't a good idea for the drive. However, it is mandatory for the rides at Disneyland. :cyclopsani:

Tim
By three methods we may learn wisdom:
First, by reflection, which is noblest;
second, by immitation, which is easiest;
and third, by experience, which is bitterest. -Confucius