a better antenna

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

chachi
Old School!

a better antenna

Post by chachi » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:16 pm

1974 transporter panel, 2.0 dual solex
1991 vanagon NAHT, RJE 2.3

drober23
Addicted!

Re: a better antenna

Post by drober23 » Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:17 pm

Maybe try a powered antenna that you can tuck away under the dash somewhere? Keep the original on the bus, and plug in the powered one.

Just a thought
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 8:22 am

I haven't listened to the radio for years. I find it interferes with hearing the voices in my head. :joker:
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:24 pm

do you have a pick n pull or other auto junkyard you can visit nearby?

if so go grab an antenna off of a 80's Toyota (or really any from that era) - as the way they mounted is similar and they seem to work really well.

that said I have found that some radio's just work a LOT better than others. when I pulled the POS Sony out of my bus and swapped in my Alpine from my old vehicle - my reception improved massively and without changing the antenna at all.
1979 California Transporter

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:29 pm

My radio has reached the POS stage. Not original, not sure what I want to replace it with, I do listen to the radio and do use the iPhone in the wife's car with the AUX port.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:34 pm

I have an Alpine CDA105, like this one here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/360484963166

Has a great Radio and supports Ipod/Iphone/Aux/CD.... It has really good built in power as well.
I used to run my separates on their own amplifier but this thing powers them well enough on it's own.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:19 pm

airkooledchris wrote:I have an Alpine CDA105, like this one here:http://www.ebay.com/itm/360484963166

Has a great Radio and supports Ipod/Iphone/Aux/CD.... It has really good built in power as well.
I used to run my separates on their own amplifier but this thing powers them well enough on it's own.

Very Nice, I need to look at getting one like this. Two speakers n the door, Blaupunkts. This unit looks neat:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Sep 05, 2012 3:22 pm

it does, but a double din would be crazy difficult to stick in the dash (major cutting involved), unless you were considering a hidden glove box type setup.