Meet Morrison...1985 Westfalia

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Re: Back in a beater bus

Post by Sylvester » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:05 am

Hey Ryno, got some more pictures to post of the 76?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:35 pm

Back from 10 days in Montana and Colorado, and back at the bus. I had it running before I left, it seems the seal behind the clutch is leaking pretty bad. The engine seems to run ok with a few exhaust leaks.

I think I will begin to pull the engine and start to make a list of needs. Doing some more cleaning today and pulled all of the curtains and cushion covers to wash them. It has to start smelling better soon. Will post some pics when I can, this baby is ruff-ruff.

When I did the 72, I only had to worry about my dogs running off. Trying to work around a 9 month olds schedule, that's a different story.

Crazy thing is, there may be another 72 in my future as well. Whoever said it in my for sale thread was right, these things have a way of finding you.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:19 am

Well, we now have two buses again. Scored this 72 Kombi from the original owner. Good thing too, that 76 is wasted but full of good parts. Speak up if you need something.

This 72 is a keeper though, very nice bus.

Probably be putting up some ads for parts from the 76 westy over the next few days.

Ryan

1985 Westfalia

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:34 am

Very nice!

I might be interested in the following from the '76 depending on condition.

Passenger Door
Rear Hatch
the folding portion of upper bunk

I'll have to think if I need anything else. How is the carpet?

heck, I'd like the whole thing, but the wife probably wouldn't approve;)
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Sun Sep 09, 2012 12:21 pm

Passenger door and rear hatch are in usable condition. No through rust as far as I can tell. The carpet is icky though. Maybe you can wander up this way to take a look?....I don't see this bus being here much longer, I plan on removing whatever can be used though.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Mon Sep 10, 2012 6:45 am

Yes, I'd like to come take a look. I'm pretty busy this week as we have a 9/15 deadline to meet.
Sunday the 16th would be best for me.

I'd like to look at both front doors and the rear hatch. Maybe some odds and ends.
My doors are repairable, but if your doors are cleaner I think that would save me a lot of bodywork. My hatch has some moderate rust under the window seal so again, if yours is better that would save some bodywork there too.

Let me know if Sunday would work.
1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Sep 10, 2012 7:42 am

Should work for me. I will PM you my cell number.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:58 am

chitwnvw wrote:You two did good work, I could see you guys rehabilitating buses as a sideline. Were you able to turn a profit? That seems to be the problem with resto work, you don't seem to get out what you put in...not to mention the time.
With a few exceptions, that's true. Depends on the collectible value of the car and how good of condition you find it. There are guys that make a decent living "flipping" cars like houses...Rare muscle cars and classic Mercedes are a good bet...but for VW you may need to find a rich boomer who wants that '60 splitty you got a deal on in the back country of Arizona with no hidden rust...or like that.

So...are you getting another Bus? =D>

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Sep 10, 2012 10:28 am

Hippie wrote:So...are you getting another Bus? =D>
Yep. When they jump in your lap and look you in the eye, it's hard to say no.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:43 pm

Ryno wrote:Yep. When they jump in your lap and look you in the eye, it's hard to say no.
Right on. Me, I wish for a Beetle again someday. Right now I'm thoroughly enjoying everyone else feeding and caring for them.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Sep 11, 2012 4:19 pm

Ryno wrote:Well, we now have two buses again. Scored this 72 Kombi from the original owner. Good thing too, that 76 is wasted but full of good parts. Speak up if you need something.

Probably be putting up some ads for parts from the 76 westy over the next few days.
How about the hubcaps? I still paint them.
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:47 pm

Sylvester wrote:
Ryno wrote:Well, we now have two buses again. Scored this 72 Kombi from the original owner. Good thing too, that 76 is wasted but full of good parts. Speak up if you need something.

How about the hubcaps? I still paint them.
A local guy wants them, but if he doesn't take them, you're in bud.
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

Post by Ryno » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:52 pm

yondermtn wrote:Yes, I'd like to come take a look. I'm pretty busy this week as we have a 9/15 deadline to meet.
Sunday the 16th would be best for me.

I'd like to look at both front doors and the rear hatch. Maybe some odds and ends.
My doors are repairable, but if your doors are cleaner I think that would save me a lot of bodywork. My hatch has some moderate rust under the window seal so again, if yours is better that would save some bodywork there too.

Let me know if Sunday would work.
Well, Yonder made it up to the RynoRanch yesterday and took some good bits off of old yella. I was happy to see some of the parts get put to use.

It's always a pleasure to meet people in person!...Cheers to you Chris!
Ryan

1985 Westfalia

yondermtn
Old School!

Post by yondermtn » Tue Sep 18, 2012 7:28 am

Pleasure to meet you, too. I'm glad I could source the parts locally.
And thanks for those eggs, they are delicious :salute:

I can't wait to see that beautiful '72 of yours up and running.

We hit the VW show in Crystal Lake on our way home. It seemed to be a good turnout compared to prior years. Here are a few pics.

1977 Westy 2.0FI
1990 Vanagon MV 2.1 Auto

Ryno
IAC Contributor
IAC Contributor

72 Kombi running

Post by Ryno » Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:34 am

Ok, so I scored this 72 Kombi from the original owner, a very rust free bus for this region. I managed to get it running this morning, after the mouse nest blew out of the muffler, it fired right up. This bus had not seen the light of day since 1998, it's got some bruises,bumps and touch ups, but very original. My plan is to go through it this winter in terms of mechanicals and address a few issues, should be a wonderful project.

Here's a video I took this morning:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=yo ... Fn9I_fwXFo
Ryan

1985 Westfalia