Helping your MPG

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Re: Helping your MPG

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 08, 2012 1:57 pm

How does the exhaust smell? rich?
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed May 09, 2012 7:43 am

Russell, I look forward to your spark plug color report, and your brakes are not slightly dragging and your tire pressures are above 33/40, yaah?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu May 10, 2012 7:36 am

Checked a few things this morning. Tire Pressure is OK. Odometer is a tenth pf a mile per mile off when checked against a GPS. Not enough to impact MPG. Inspection of tailpipe reveals dry black sootiness. Will pull plugs and check vacuum next.

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:37 am

A tenth of a mile per mile would impact your MPG by 10% :-)

My odometer does the same thing. If the Speedometer says 70 MPH, a GPS will say 68 MPH. But if I drive 200 miles by the highway mile markers, my odometer will say I went 180 miles. I now factor that in when I figure MPG.

Hmmm...

Good luck with the search for answers!
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu May 10, 2012 10:16 am

drober23 wrote:A tenth of a mile per mile would impact your MPG by 10% :-)

My odometer does the same thing. If the Speedometer says 70 MPH, a GPS will say 68 MPH. But if I drive 200 miles by the highway mile markers, my odometer will say I went 180 miles. I now factor that in when I figure MPG.

Hmmm...

Good luck with the search for answers!
Thanks. What I meant to say and see that I didn't is that the 10% isn't enough to get my mileage to the level it should be at.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 10, 2012 11:16 am

RussellK wrote:Checked a few things this morning. Tire Pressure is OK. Odometer is a tenth pf a mile per mile off when checked against a GPS. Not enough to impact MPG. Inspection of tailpipe reveals dry black sootiness. Will pull plugs and check vacuum next.

"Dry black sootiness" means you are running really rich and your mileage shows it. Have you checked the CHT or installed a known good one? Checked the Cold start valve for leaks? I'd just bypass it for now.
Geoff

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Thu May 10, 2012 3:50 pm

Checked for vacuum using the starter fluid test. No vacuum leaks but at the Cold Start Valve a shot of starter fluid would kill the engine. I put in a new gasket and tried again with the same result. Not sure how that fluid is getting in. I noticed while the engine was running the large hose that Ts off of the hose between the air distributor and brake booster and runs to the decel valve was collapsing. Enough to choke off anything running to the decel valve. I replaced that hose with a stronger hose. Pulled the Number 4 spark plug and as I suspected it was sooty black. I'm definitely running rich for some reason. I'll pull, clean and gap the other plugs and lean up my mixture a little. Also check that cold start valve for leaking although its only about a year old. I have a CHT gauge but its a VDO mostly good for show and tell. Its attached to the #3 and never gets above 250 even on a hot day.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu May 10, 2012 5:18 pm

Do you have a Ohm meter? pull the Temp2 sensor and check the resistance! I bet that is the problem as they start to fail and the mix goes rich...total fail and you can't start the engine as fuel is dripping out of the exhaust.
Geoff

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu May 10, 2012 7:55 pm

Fuel pressure? If the pressure regulator gets plugged, the high pressure can severely richen the mixture while the electronic functions in the FI system are all singing in harmony.

Also, the cold start valve always seem to leak vacuum a bit, I think it's between the metal and plastic of the body. But a shot of ether there actually killing it definitely sounds like things are already very rich.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri May 11, 2012 6:06 am

Bleyseng wrote:Do you have a Ohm meter? pull the Temp2 sensor and check the resistance!
+1

Where's RandyInMaine when we need him?!?!?!? :blackeye:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri May 11, 2012 6:29 am

I have an Ohm meter and will check that tonight. I'll check that pressure regulator too. I leaned up the mix by 3 turns CCW on the CO screw last night and took it out for a spin. The performance was fine.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri May 11, 2012 7:09 am

Do you have a spare TSII, Russ? It's a bit of a PITA to test it properly (getting ambient to 68*F, avoiding touching it with your fingers, etc). This is an FI part that I don't have a problem replacing as a maintenance item if you've owned your bus a long time and have not replaced it previously.

edited to add: The TSII is a part that should be in your "on-bus" repair kit, as a fuel injected pilot.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Fri May 11, 2012 4:27 pm

I checked the Thermotime switch and it shuts off after 5 seconds when its 75 degrees out so I'm good on that. I checked the Ohms on the TSII and it read 2600 resistance so I think thats in the range. I need to get a pressure guage and I'll check out the pressure regulator then. Thanks for all the suggestions and help. The exhaust smelled a lot better after I adjusted the CO last night. Still I need to know why the sudden change.

RussellK
IAC Addict!

Post by RussellK » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:55 am

With everything checking out OK and simply readjusting the mixture I'm was at a nice 17 mpg on last weekend's trip. I must have had a real brainfart and adjusted the wrong way the last time I did an adjustment. Its all I can figure. I still need to get this tewaked a bit more.

Randy in Maine
IAC Addict!

Post by Randy in Maine » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:03 am

More important that what number you get for the TSII is that the resistance changes (downward) as the engine temperature changes (upward).

And bretski, Randy has been busy working in his new garage lately (plus he recently discovered his siatic nerve). Woodshop dust collection system in now in and most of the shelving is up.
79 VW Bus