78 Bus Starts, runs, but dies after 10 miles (20 minutes)

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Danny79
I'm New!

78 Bus Starts, runs, but dies after 10 miles (20 minutes)

Post by Danny79 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:10 pm

I looked to see if someone already posted, if they did, I did not see it.

78 Champagne Ed Camper, not sure of mileage, guess about 100K miles on it. Current owner tells me it runs for about 10 miles, maybe 20 min, then it sputters and dies. They have it towed home. Next day it starts. Bus has sat and is rusting from sitting outside. I jumped it with battery cables, and it started right up after a few seconds being charged. It idled, but did not sound great, but thought oil might have drained from lifters ? The Plan is to change the oil, new fuel filter, new fuel lines, maybe drain the gas, put in new gas. - cut open old fuel filter, look for rust. Might be rust in the tank.

Missing engine "air" seal between the engine and body- It might be overheating, I heard there is a high temperature shutoff on the FI buses. Is this true ? I am going to install the seal regardless. How long can you run an engine without the seal ? I doubt long at all.

It might be the fuel pump is just old. Due to cost, was going to try this last.

How does this sound ? Any other ideas ? Thank you.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Re: 78 Bus Starts, runs, but dies after 10 miles (20 minutes

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 26, 2012 8:23 pm

Sounds like a solid start. Running a type 1, so not all that good on the type 4 engines.
Hopefully it is minor.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 12:54 am

Danny79 wrote:I looked to see if someone already posted, if they did, I did not see it.

78 Champagne Ed Camper, not sure of mileage, guess about 100K miles on it. Current owner tells me it runs for about 10 miles, maybe 20 min, then it sputters and dies. They have it towed home. Next day it starts.

Missing engine "air" seal between the engine and body- It might be overheating, I heard there is a high temperature shutoff on the FI buses. Is this true ?

It might be the fuel pump is just old. Due to cost, was going to try this last.

How does this sound ? Any other ideas ? Thank you.
It is a possibility that your pump is having electrical death when hot, recovering when cold. Easy to test. Drive it til it dies. Go under the car just in front of the left rear tire. Have someone crank the engine while you put your hand on on the pump and listen for operation. Do not let an idiot attempt to start the car with it in gear. Make sure they keep their foot on the clutch throughout this quick test.
No pump sound? No start.
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:50 am

Are you sure the battery is healthy? Alternator putting out the correct voltage? The fuel injection will run for just about that time on a poorly charging or bad battery after it's been jumped or charged.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 27, 2012 8:21 am

Westy78 wrote:Are you sure the battery is healthy? Alternator putting out the correct voltage? The fuel injection will run for just about that time on a poorly charging or bad battery after it's been jumped or charged.
Good points . . .
Colin
:withstupid:

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Thu May 03, 2012 9:42 am

Well, what did you find?
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

Danny79
I'm New!

Post by Danny79 » Mon May 07, 2012 5:32 pm

I don't know yet. Took my bug to work, got free air filters, then it would not start. even rolled it. It was a warm day...Bill said check fuel pump relay, near computer or check fuel pump...Gary, complete stranger, drove me 35 miles home. He had a 74 bug, and he wouldn't take any money more than 10 for gas...bug started right up the next morning..rrrrrr

Also, I found my 71 bus has 25 psi compression in addition to so much gas from teh CIP1 carb, that it was coming out of the valve covers. Currently waiting for an adapter plate so I can put in dual port that's been sitting a year in my garage with great compression. Due Friday or Monday, it's not here yet.

The 78, when charged, or even jump for a second, comes right to life...did the title transfer and I towed it to my storage garage, jumped it and drove it across the street, charged the battery at home, and went back a week later to put it in the garage, it just fit.

Oh yea, ran my first marathon and finished on Sunday...so, the plan is when I get back from a business trip -- a 12 hour delay today and then, they cancel the flight...UNITED SUCKS. But I will have to tell the wife and family I bought another 78, then I can bring it home to work on....the storage garage lady does not like me working on it and even put that in the lease. She kinda funny, now you kinda funny too...I saw you last Friday, you weren't looking for no job, so out the door I went...

Stay tuned -- promise an update in 2 weeks..

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon May 07, 2012 8:35 pm

Eugene Marathon last Sunday?

Clogged fuel filters. But it sounds like you mounted new. Crud in the gas tank issues maybe?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 08, 2012 8:15 pm

Danny79 wrote:I don't know yet. Took my bug to work, got free air filters, then it would not start. even rolled it. It was a warm day...Bill said check fuel pump relay, near computer or check fuel pump...Gary, complete stranger, drove me 35 miles home. He had a 74 bug, and he wouldn't take any money more than 10 for gas...bug started right up the next morning..rrrrrr

Also, I found my 71 bus has 25 psi compression in addition to so much gas from teh CIP1 carb, that it was coming out of the valve covers. Currently waiting for an adapter plate so I can put in dual port that's been sitting a year in my garage with great compression. Due Friday or Monday, it's not here yet.

The 78, when charged, or even jump for a second, comes right to life...did the title transfer and I towed it to my storage garage, jumped it and drove it across the street, charged the battery at home, and went back a week later to put it in the garage, it just fit.

Oh yea, ran my first marathon and finished on Sunday...so, the plan is when I get back from a business trip -- a 12 hour delay today and then, they cancel the flight...UNITED SUCKS. But I will have to tell the wife and family I bought another 78, then I can bring it home to work on....the storage garage lady does not like me working on it and even put that in the lease. She kinda funny, now you kinda funny too...I saw you last Friday, you weren't looking for no job, so out the door I went...

Stay tuned -- promise an update in 2 weeks..
Find this thread in the Type 2 forum by then.
Colin

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu May 10, 2012 9:47 am

I bought a bus that was doing this once. Seller had the bus for sale at a higher price, then it dropped all of a sudden. He couldn't get it to start.

I replaced the fuel pump, which got it running again. But after about 10 minutes of great running it would cough, sputter, buck, and sometimes die completely. If you let it cool down, it would start and run great for another 10 minutes or so.

In my case, it turned out to be a problem with the Cold Start Valve leaking when it got hot. Replaced the CSV and problem went away.

That said, it could as easily be any of the other things listed above.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey