Hi! I'm DJ and I'm a Bus-a-holic

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

drober23
Addicted!

Re: Hi! I'm DJ and I'm a Bus-a-holic

Post by drober23 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 8:46 am

Took my trip to get the exercise machine, bus ran great!

I had a thermostat issue. Turns out, I managed to run the cable on the wrong side of the cooling boot for the alternator. This put it at a bad angle, and it popped off of the wheel, which took the tension out of the cable and left the flaps open all the time. Felt pretty silly when I figured out what I had done wrong.

Got that cleared up. Next is the sliding door! I adjusted it some recently, and got it quite a bit better. Going to do Colin's hinge refresh soon. Any insight on stopping it from rattling so much when on a bumpy road? I adjusted the upper roller as high as I could, and the helped quite a bit. The bottom roller looks to be adjusted pretty well. Something must be off, because I suspect vertical motion for the rattling.

Next is to go over the brakes again, then we should be good for camping season.
DJ

'75 Westfalia, '79 Deluxe
(plus more busses than sense)

In a time of chimpanzees I was a monkey

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:06 am

Are you sure it's not your jalousie's rattling?
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:59 am

At least part of it is the jalousies, I'll have to listen to it with a more discriminating ear on the way home today.
DJ

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:45 pm

I listened to it, and tried to watch it, which is hard to do while driving, today. Definitely more than just jalousie noise. Seems to be coming from the rear of the door. Going to look there, and adjust some.
DJ

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:51 pm

drober23 wrote:I listened to it, and tried to watch it, which is hard to do while driving, today. Definitely more than just jalousie noise. Seems to be coming from the rear of the door. Going to look there, and adjust some.
Cables can rattle without their foam silencer pads. Damaged door seals can allow the door to rattle a bit in the latch, this is adjustable. The one I hate is a broken panel clip rattling inside the door frame/skin.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:57 am

Colin,

Pretty sure it is door movement accounting for the noise that is not the jalousies. I have not pulled the panel off of it to inspect the silencer pads though.

The seal is new this spring (had one in my stash from a bus I bought 20 years ago), so that should not be the problem. The rattling got better when I changed the seal, and got even better when I adjusted the top runner height. Next step is to look at the rear adjustment like you mention.

Thanks!
DJ

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:54 pm

Been enjoying the bus a lot this spring and now early summer! Not sure about anyone else, but I still get a kick out of those moments where your odometer has the same digit all the way across.

Yesterday was 33333.3! Of course, not sure if that is 100, 200, or 300 thousand. A fun moment nonetheless. I have put just under 11,000 on the bus since I bought it in 2010.
DJ

drober23
Addicted!

Post by drober23 » Mon Nov 12, 2012 6:12 pm

Time flies! I have put another ~6,000 miles on the '75 Westfalia.

But this weekend was time to work on the orange '79 Deluxe. I hit the rusty parts of the engine bay with rust catalyzing primer, changed the fuel lines, and dropped the engine I had sitting under a tarp into it. Need another hour or so to get everything ready to fire.

The engine has been sitting for about 2 years now. This is the engine that I had cooked a cylinder head on around 2000. I pulled the heads and had them rebuilt in 2009. At the same time I measured the pistons and cylinders and they were within spec, so I installed new rings, and put them back on.

I removed the cylinder gasket, but failed to add a barrel shim to compensate. I ran it this way one summer, about 6,000 miles worth. I was worried about something, and took the heads back off, and noticed they were running hot. I suspect the increased compression ratio, coupled with me driving it pretty hard, was adding up to a LOT of heat.

I had the heads re-flycut and set the compression ratio properly (measured the deck height, and 'ccd the heads). Then let the engine sit for 2 years. It's back in the bus now. The plan is to start it, break it in a bit, drive it just a little, then drive it to the barn for the winter. Hoping this next weekend is nice enough to get that done.
DJ

poptop tom
Old School!

Post by poptop tom » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:00 am

It sounds like the weather is suppose to hold up through Thanksgiving. So you should be good to go!

Good luck!
Mr. Blotto wrote, "Boy - thanks for the offer, but a month in poptop tom's world means 5 years"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Nov 13, 2012 7:45 pm

poptop tom wrote:It sounds like the weather is suppose to hold up through Thanksgiving. So you should be good to go!

Good luck!
No kidding, that drober guy has a LOT of work to do on his SEVEN OR SO Volkswagens all over his property!
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles