Holy heck, he's alive!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Holy heck, he's alive!

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 25, 2012 5:52 pm

Been a while, guys and gals. Been busy workin', and my shack in the woods has no net. But the shop just moved into the 1990's and got web-ified.

Still rollin' the '68, just put a damn-near-bone-stock single port in it. Balanced from plate to pulley, with Mahle pistons, re-ground German crank and cam and brand spankin' new oe VW heads ($300 a piece! :cyclopsani: ) Thing runs like a dreammmm! The last engine I built, if you recall, was slammed together in a week with found heads, then flogged mercilessly, and damn near shook itself apart after 40k harrrrd miles. The bearings had hammered their imprints into the journals, and the 4 case stud nuts left were hand tight :drunken: !

Picked up a '65 Ghia for five hundred bucks from a friend in PDX a couple weeks ago. It has some minor body damage and needs a rear brake drum and new spindles after the wreck, but otherwise it's awesome! Well there is one odd problem... but I'll post about that in the tech forum.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Holy heck, he's alive!

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:24 pm

DjEep wrote:Been a while, guys and gals. Been busy workin', and my shack in the woods has no net. But the shop just moved into the 1990's and got web-ified.

Still rollin' the '68, just put a damn-near-bone-stock single port in it. Balanced from plate to pulley, with Mahle pistons, re-ground German crank and cam and brand spankin' new oe VW heads ($300 a piece! :cyclopsani: ) Thing runs like a dreammmm! The last engine I built, if you recall, was slammed together in a week with found heads, then flogged mercilessly, and damn near shook itself apart after 40k harrrrd miles. The bearings had hammered their imprints into the journals, and the 4 case stud nuts left were hand tight :drunken: !

Picked up a '65 Ghia for five hundred bucks from a friend in PDX a couple weeks ago. It has some minor body damage and needs a rear brake drum and new spindles after the wreck, but otherwise it's awesome! Well there is one odd problem... but I'll post about that in the tech forum.
I had just asked about you in the Engine Forum against rules. So, here, how are you? I am in a 1970 sp stock bus this summer. That poor little engine has one tough summer in front of it.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Sun Mar 25, 2012 7:33 pm

Hah! I was just looking at your profile a few days ago, wondering "what ever happened to DJ? He dropped off the face of the earth.."

Good to see you're still with us here .. in both senses of the term.
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:57 pm

I broke rules and replied.... haha. Man, those single ports are awesome. Your 70 will love the tender abuse. So they won't do 70, but dang, they'll pull anything. I stuffed the entire passenger side of the bus into a snow bank last weekend, and after a little digging and some chain-up, she clawed her way out sideways, crab-style. A little torque goes a long way.

Yeah, I'm just Mr. Eep now, the DJ'ing almost broke my spirits. Saw too many good kids go the wrong way in the name of music. Tried my best to steer 'em right, but one can't save d all.

The VW biz is goin' fine, was a good year for building 2liters. Did a couple of back-to-F.I. conversions and got some good folks back on the road.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:36 am

Getting to know a SP in my bus. Kinda liking it. A new experience. Only knew my schooling engine DP that gave me a convoluted bunch of lessons and ultimately the expected almost 80k miles. Poor thing.

The transplanted SP has been running so well I haven't even checked the timing since install. How many miles now? A few months for sure. Did adjust valves a few weeks back without any undue alarm. Yet it still seems a tad peevish, and I'd like timing to be well dialed in for towing my baja project out of the backyard of the rental I moved out of just after Thanksgiving last year.

It's that last three and a half miles that climbs up a good thousand feet in elevation that concerns me.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:40 am

ruckman101 wrote: It's that last three and a half miles that climbs up a good thousand feet in elevation that concerns me.
neal
Hill climb one spark plug spark at time . . .
Colinkoananfucious

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:26 pm

My driveway is a 25% grade that is often a river, and combined with some studded tires and the awesome traction of the bus in general, that little single port hops up it like a little mountain goat. I love it.

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:35 pm

For those that don't venture out of the Type2 realm much, I posted some pics of mah Ghia in Type1 land.

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Post by anotherbluebus » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:03 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Hill climb one spark plug spark at time . . .
Colinkoananfucious
this seems like it should be on a t-shirt.

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:19 am

DjEep wrote: Yeah, I'm just Mr. Eep now, the DJ'ing almost broke my spirits. Saw too many good kids go the wrong way in the name of music. Tried my best to steer 'em right, but one can't save d all.
What kind of Dj'ing were you doing, and what sort of venue's? Ive Dj'd on and off for 14 or so years now. Much less often once I moved here to Eureka, but I still play at bigger events a few times a year. Just curious, if you feel like sharing. I just don't have the time and energy to put into as much these days, due in part to age and having a kid that doesn't care if you were up till 4am or not.
1979 California Transporter

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:21 pm

I mostly played psytrance, but dabbled in a bit of everything. Been doin' it for 12 years. Mostly played local warehouse parties, bars, and outdoor festies. Biggest "gig" was a trip to Mississippi a couple years ago. Yourself?

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:09 am

DjEep wrote:I mostly played psytrance, but dabbled in a bit of everything. Been doin' it for 12 years. Mostly played local warehouse parties, bars, and outdoor festies. Biggest "gig" was a trip to Mississippi a couple years ago. Yourself?
Got a picture of you DJ'ing?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:00 am

Hi, DjEep.
Amskeptic wrote:I had just asked about you in the Engine Forum against rules.
I should report you to you.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:35 am

Hippie wrote:Hi, DjEep.
Amskeptic wrote:I had just asked about you in the Engine Forum against rules.
I should report you to you.
I need to prune this jungle of babble. Thanks for offering . . . to moderate . . . . :pirate: :pirate:

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:01 am

Amskeptic wrote:Thanks for offering . . . to moderate . . . . :pirate: :pirate:
You'll never rope me into that mess. Besides, I'm a bastard, and would alienate the members. :geek: