It's finished!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: It's finished!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:15 am

drober23 wrote:The paper gaskets you mention are not the head gaskets I am talking about (and I meant thousandths of an inch when I said mm, got metrics on the brain at work). . The head gaskets were thicker. You will see them in many engine rebuild gasket sets still. I measured mine (didn't install them when I did my engine), and they were 0.030" or so.
When I said "paper" I meant they were that thin. I did see these metal gaskets in my gasket set and they were even thinner than the .020" shims I ended up using.
drober23 wrote:The barrel shim would be to set the deck height. Factors in the deck height are piston shape (dished?), and the volume the cylinder heads add to the combustion chamber. He knows what he is adding, and the shims are probably to compensate. Either that, or he has a bunch he wants to get rid of :-)
Completely in agreement here which furthers my point. How would Adrian know if your pistons were dished and if so how much? In addition, what if your case had been machined (I believe the term is "decked" but I'm not sure). There is NO way to know what thickness shim a builder will need unless you measure all the variables yourself. I'm thinking your second possibility is more likely.
drober23 wrote:Enough about gaskets, nice work on that engine!
Thank you sir! Just in time for camping season!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: It's finished!

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:15 am

dtrumbo wrote:
drober23 wrote:The paper gaskets you mention are not the head gaskets I am talking about (and I meant thousandths of an inch when I said mm, got metrics on the brain at work). . The head gaskets were thicker. You will see them in many engine rebuild gasket sets still. I measured mine (didn't install them when I did my engine), and they were 0.030" or so.
When I said "paper" I meant they were that thin. I did see these metal gaskets in my gasket set and they were even thinner than the .020" shims I ended up using.
drober23 wrote:The barrel shim would be to set the deck height. Factors in the deck height are piston shape (dished?), and the volume the cylinder heads add to the combustion chamber. He knows what he is adding, and the shims are probably to compensate. Either that, or he has a bunch he wants to get rid of :-)
Completely in agreement here which furthers my point. How would Adrian know if your pistons were dished and if so how much? In addition, what if your case had been machined (I believe the term is "decked" but I'm not sure). There is NO way to know what thickness shim a builder will need unless you measure all the variables yourself. I'm thinking your second possibility is more likely.
drober23 wrote:Enough about gaskets, nice work on that engine!
Thank you sir! Just in time for camping season!
Skepticism (applied under unfailing politeness) is the order of the day. You are the sole responsible agent for a successful rebuild. As Dick mentioned, you have variables that a machine shop is not necessarily going be aware of. I used to trust that I could do a r&r buy the VW-issue parts, put it together and be on my way. Now it is measure measure measure . . . and pray a little.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles