Special Interest Plates

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Re: Special Interest Plates

Post by dtrumbo » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:27 pm

Hey Wayne, I bet you're right about the personalized plates. I have 'collector vehicle' plates on two of my three ACVW's and I'm willing to bet you're right that you can't have collector plates personalized. It's bad enough they won't be collecting registration fees each year but to lose the extra revenue from the personalized plates would be just too much!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:08 pm

And then there is this:

http://www.odot.state.or.us/forms/dmv/6726.pdf

Which seems to indicate you can use a multitude of plates. Hmm.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

anotherbluebus
Getting Hooked!

Post by anotherbluebus » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:26 am

I have a 1975 Ford Bronco that I registered as a Special Interest vehicle. It's been that way for almost 10 years. Back when I did it, it cost $45 and I got the stickers to put on the original gold/blue plates. I have never had to renew or go through DEQ. I use the vehicle pretty sparingly, so I haven't flaunted it too much.... but as the others have mentioned, I have my "any day I drive the Bronco is a special event" story all rehearsed when I leave home. Plus, I never drive it during commute hours when it could be misconstrued as a commuter.

Kubelwagen
Addicted!

Post by Kubelwagen » Mon Dec 26, 2011 10:50 am

Plus the gathering at the Lab is certainly an "official group business meeting". I'm sure Hal has a copy of the bylaws around someplace.
Patience the 81 Adventurewagen

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:37 am

Colorado's system is similar. Collector plates are good for five years before renewal. My renewal form is sitting on my desk right now, needing to be paid, so thanks for the reminder.

...and no emissions testing needed, either! :thumbleft:
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:51 am

bretski wrote:Colorado's system is similar. Collector plates are good for five years before renewal. My renewal form is sitting on my desk right now, needing to be paid, so thanks for the reminder.

...and no emissions testing needed, either! :thumbleft:
How much is the renewal? From what I understand our plates are good for life, no renewal. =D>
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:35 am

Westy78 wrote:How much is the renewal? From what I understand our plates are good for life, no renewal. =D>
In Dec 2006, I paid $100. My renewal bill is $186. Looking at the breakdown, the ownership tax is $15...$3 per year. The rest is the license fee, which has gone up dramatically in Colorado over the last few years. As I recall, the spike in license fees was the result of 2007-2008 legislation that earmarked funds for bridge repair.
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

Mike Boell
Old School!

Post by Mike Boell » Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:17 pm

Westy78 wrote: From what I understand our plates are good for life, no renewal. =D>
Yes, you are correct. Oregon plates are good for life.
Mike
Mike Boell
1975 FI Westy
Oregon City

SOME PEOPLE ARE LIKE SLINKIES - NOT REALLY GOOD FOR ANYTHING BUT THEY BRING A SMILE TO YOUR FACE WHEN THEY'RE PUSHED DOWN THE STAIRS.

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:50 am

I am now DEQ Exempt on the Bus for life!!! Went to the Sherwood DMV Before 9:00am this morning (Saturday) and was out within 15 minutes. I tried to keep my plates but the rule was in order for you to keep your current plates and just get a sticker they had to be the plate design that was issued in the model year of the vehicle. Being that I had Crater Lake plates I had to settle for new state supplied plates which are the retro yellow with blue script. I'll take that for only $93 and never having to pay DEQ or DMV registration ever again. Now I just have to make sure that the only time I drive it it's for "club events". :flower: :bootyshake:
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Welcome to the club!!!!!!! Great feeling isn't it? I will miss my plates though. But I'll get over it.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com