New issue...again

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

72Hardtop
Old School!

New issue...again

Post by 72Hardtop » Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:13 pm

On the way home from work I was adjusting myself in my seat and let up off the gas. Upon returning my foot to the peddle to resume speed I noticed a slight stumble and heard what sounded like a muffled cough. Was going approximately 50-55mph when I felt/heard the issue. Bus continued to run good and was keeping pace without issue. When I exited the freeway I noticed the bus running rough. I pull over and give everything the look over and find nothing out of the ordinary. I continue home which was about another 2.5 miles (surface street) taking it easy. Parked the bus in my carport and let her cool down. After cooling down I proceeded to run down the check list.

1. Checked valve lash (all good with exception of #4 exhaust - .004)

2. Plug wires, rotor, cap and plugs all recently replaced (approx. 2000 miles ago) Bosch wires, NGK plugs

3. Pulled plugs all good except #4 appeared to have been fouled (fuel). Replaced with Bosch plug

4. Pulled all jets and cleaned passages as well.

Fired the bus up and it still runs rough. Shutdown. Loosen wires at cap and fire the bus up. Pulling 1, 2, and 3 cause bus to run worse. Pulling #4 no change. So I've narrowed it down to cylinder #4. Pulled the jet again and cleaned but bus still runs rough. At idle it will pop thru exhaust off & on. If I rev bus up 2500+ it seems to run great. I R/R the intake manifold gaskets approximately 5-6mos ago as well and its been running great until now. Engine has approximately 25,000 miles since rebuild in 2000. I'm thinking at this point it's time for a leakdown/compression test. Any other thoughts suggestions?
1972 Westy tintop
2056cc T-4 - 7.8:1 CR
Weber 40mm Duals - 47.5idles, 125mains, F11 tubes, 190 Air corr., 28mm Vents
96mm AA Biral P/C's w/Hastings rings
42x36mm Heads (AMC- Headflow Masters) w/Porsche swivel adjusters
71mm Stroke
Web Cam 73 w/matched Web lifters
S&S 4-1 exhaust w/Walker 17862 quiet-pack
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Re: New issue...again

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:47 am

the problem is number 4 is not firing, to fire it needs compression, fuel, and spark at the right time. Figure out which of the 3 you're missing. Compression sounds like the next logical test.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:54 pm

72Hardtop wrote:stumble and cough. running rough.
#4 exhaust - .004)
#4 appeared to have been fouled (fuel).
Pulling #4 no change.
Now you have a problem.
That cough is the moment that #4 lost a good valve seating.
Either it is an errant chunk of carbon not allowing the valve to seal, or the valve is burned or the seat is now loose.

You *can* remove the exhaust manifold/exchanger and look directly at the valve and seat. Put #4 at TDC. Now rotate the engine 270* clockwise. Look at the open valve. If the seat is loose, you will see a *margin line* of sorts between the seat and the aluminum of the port. Give it a little poke. If loose when cold, don't even start the engine again. Pull the head. If all looks contiguous and nice and whitish greyish brownish, put #4 at TDC and remove the plug. Stick a funnel-equipped small hose into the cylinder and pour some solvent down into the cylinder (diesel would good). Go look at the exhaust valve. If it is drooling wet, pull the head.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:39 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
72Hardtop wrote:stumble and cough. running rough.
#4 exhaust - .004)
#4 appeared to have been fouled (fuel).
Pulling #4 no change.
Now you have a problem.
That cough is the moment that #4 lost a good valve seating.
Either it is an errant chunk of carbon not allowing the valve to seal, or the valve is burned or the seat is now loose.

You *can* remove the exhaust manifold/exchanger and look directly at the valve and seat. Put #4 at TDC. Now rotate the engine 270* clockwise. Look at the open valve. If the seat is loose, you will see a *margin line* of sorts between the seat and the aluminum of the port. Give it a little poke. If loose when cold, don't even start the engine again. Pull the head. If all looks contiguous and nice and whitish greyish brownish, put #4 at TDC and remove the plug. Stick a funnel-equipped small hose into the cylinder and pour some solvent down into the cylinder (diesel would good). Go look at the exhaust valve. If it is drooling wet, pull the head.
Colin
I was kind of hoping for the best but expecting the worst. I've been leaning heavily toward a loose valve seat since the valve only snugged up at this point. Losing it's compression around the seat itself. Thatsall it takes. Could be a whole lot worse.

Going to do a compression test on Wednesday morning. Spoke with someone who suggested getting heads from Jerry at Northwest Connecting Rod. I've not had any dealings with any of the builders up here. I do know he uses the AMC castings but not sure what he's doing to the heads beyond that. Anyone have info as to what (if any) Jerry does to the heads?

All my contacts are in California. The few I know there are good (Fumio, Tuttle, Adrian) and of course there is also Jake. What's the going rate for replacement of heads including labor these days? Low vs high?
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
Pertronix SVDA w/Pertronix module & Flamethrower 40K coil (7* initial 28* total @3200+)
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:25 pm

Jerry is a great guy and does excellent machine-shop works so if Jerry's reading this please know I hold you in the highest regard. That said he "stakes" (I hope I remembered the right word he used) his valve seats. He was very proud of that fact as he showed them to me on another customers heads. I was warned-off of this method by others I trust. I know nothing for myself, only what others who have earned my trust have told me. I had my heads rebuilt by Adrian who does not use this "staking" method. The price for rebuilding my heads was $775.00 which included new valves, seats, guides, exhaust studs, three-angle grind and return shipping.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:07 pm

Compression on #4 is ZERO. Looks like new heads it is. While I got the motor out I'll have both front and rear seal replaced and have the clutch checked. I may as well go ahead and replace the oil cooler seals as well. Anything else I should check/replace while engine is out?

I'm going with either Jake or Adrian for heads. Just e-mailed Adrian and waiting a reply.

Anything need to be done prior to head install such as redo deck height check, exhaust manifold alignment etc...?
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:29 pm

72Hardtop wrote:Compression on #4 is ZERO.
Anything need to be done prior to head install such as redo deck height check, exhaust manifold alignment etc...?
YOU are going to answer that one .....
Colin

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:17 pm

Bummer man. Might as well check other things out while you have the engine out.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

SlowLane
IAC Addict!

Post by SlowLane » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 pm

72Hardtop wrote:I'm going with either Jake or Adrian for heads. Just e-mailed Adrian and waiting a reply.
Len Hoffman does all of Jake's heads. You can contact Len directly here
72Hardtop wrote:Anything need to be done prior to head install such as redo deck height check, exhaust manifold alignment etc...
All that, and do a meticulous job of cleaning up the casting flash on your new heads.
'81 Canadian Westfalia (2.0L, manual), now Californiated

"They say a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, but it is not one half so bad as a lot of ignorance."
- Terry Pratchett

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:35 pm

Update:

I contacted Jake for heads and only issue is...wait time. 1-3 months

So I'm going with Adrian who'll have them sent in 1 week. Head will be new AMC castings 42x36 valves all new hardware installed (Tool steel exhaust seats, SS valves, Chromolly intakes, SIL Brass guides etc..) Once heads arrive tear down will begin. I'm also going to replace both front & rear seal, have deck set, 911 adjusters installed, check clutch and also fix a small leak at the oil filter mount gasket. Heads come with 55cc chambers. Will update soon.
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:08 pm

I did not know Len was in Athens Georgia, just a couple of hours from me. Does anyone know if he does type1 heads?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 13, 2011 4:28 pm

Sylvester wrote:I did not know Len was in Athens Georgia, just a couple of hours from me. Does anyone know if he does type1 heads?
I didn't either, and I am curious too. I have used heads in the back and some questionable new Italian exhaust valves that may be installed in the next few days.
Colin

72Hardtop
Old School!

Post by 72Hardtop » Thu Nov 17, 2011 5:06 pm

With regards to the deck height...the new heads according to Adrian will bolt on with stock CR 7.3:1. I'm pretty sure it was set up originally with shims to 8.0:1. I guess at this point I'll need to confirm the deck again and make adjustment/s accordingly? As for any adjustment that may be needed. I'll need to slip off the cylinders for that? If I do that I may just go ahead and re-ring it. What are you guys using to seal the cylinder bases up with? I was thinking...Permatex Aviation or Curil-T.

Working on the carbs now (40IDF's).
1972 Westy tintop
71mm Stroke
NGK BP6ET plugs
002 3 rib trans
Hankook 185R14's

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Fri Nov 18, 2011 6:50 am

When Adrian did my heads he included .060 cylinder shims and said by using them I would have 7.4:1 CR. Of course he would know the combustion chamber volume of the heads he worked on, but how on earth he would know the other variables in the equation is beyond me. I ended up needing .020 shims and have a nice set of .060's that will live forevermore in my parts box. The engine assembler must measure deck height, combustion chamber volume (including piston dish if applicable) and use the appropriate shim (or not) as necessary.

I used Permatex Aviation on both sides of the shim. Won't know for awhile ('til it's running!) how good it works.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:28 am

I slipped the thin paper gaskets under my cylinders, but that was it. Nothing else. Looked like someone used blue permatex in abundance on the SP I just got into Bertha. It was goobered up real sloppy.

CR? Don't remember on the 1641, but no shims or adjustments, if I recall it was on the high side of seven, but under eight.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.