2 Buses

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Re: 2 Buses

Post by Marya70Riviera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:46 pm

Hey Bob (hijacking here)... do you think my bus will now be able to handle a trip up to the Port Townsend area myself later this summer?? Side note: LOVE that town sooooo much! Banjo camp's up there :geek: and I'm camping with a friend who attends it with me. She says she's willing to go in the bus but she's also kind of a ...hmmm what's the word... just a bit more regimented than I am. It wouldn't be great to break down with her lol. But I mean the bus is running SWEETLY now thanks to you (knock on wood - one can never tell what the future holds)!! I just love the idea of driving it that whole way, even if I also feel a bit nervous about it! I think my biggest fear is - for some reason - something overheating. Probably from the stories I've read. Well okay a fire would be the worst, ha. Or a head-on collision but I digress... :compress:

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Thu Jul 09, 2015 7:55 pm

i look at alot of auto forums and bus drivers are by far the most fretting.

go. enjoy
60 beetle
78 bus

Marya70Riviera
Getting Hooked!

Post by Marya70Riviera » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:31 pm

zabo wrote:i look at alot of auto forums and bus drivers are by far the most fretting.

go. enjoy
For a reason! 8-[

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:35 pm

Marya70Riviera wrote:Hey Bob (hijacking here)... do you think my bus will now be able to handle a trip up to the Port Townsend area myself later this summer?? Side note: LOVE that town sooooo much! Banjo camp's up there :geek: and I'm camping with a friend who attends it with me. She says she's willing to go in the bus but she's also kind of a ...hmmm what's the word... just a bit more regimented than I am. It wouldn't be great to break down with her lol. But I mean the bus is running SWEETLY now thanks to you (knock on wood - one can never tell what the future holds)!! I just love the idea of driving it that whole way, even if I also feel a bit nervous about it! I think my biggest fear is - for some reason - something overheating. Probably from the stories I've read. Well okay a fire would be the worst, ha. Or a head-on collision but I digress... :compress:

I've done that drive in my bus several times over the past few years. We usually do a week up in the San Juans. It's really not a bad drive in a bus especially if you take 101 out of Olympia and drive along Hood Canal. Worst part is I-5 to Oly, the rest is a breeze.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:59 am

Marya70Riviera wrote:
zabo wrote:i look at alot of auto forums and bus drivers are by far the most fretting.

go. enjoy
For a reason! 8-[
Hey heyheyhey HEYYYYYYY, easy THERE.
Colin
(VW bus drivers are the most fretting because they seem to have the most guitars)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:24 am

Amskeptic wrote:(VW bus drivers are the most fretting because they seem to have the most guitars)
Guitars, banjos, mandolins...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Fri Jul 10, 2015 7:17 pm

Ehhhhhhhhhh drive it don't ask me. Life's a freakin' gamble. It's the only way you'll know. I did the best I could, mebbe that's worth somethin.
Load it up, take it out past Estacada. She'll tell you.
For me, 12 years of wilderness camps with the same bus. I was nervous at first too. Still am, which is why I take it eeeeezee up those forever grades. She likes it. They are so fun to drive on the dirt roads you won't believe it.
Keep track of your miles and maintenance! A well tuned VW has an excellent chance of survival, and the inverse yah.

P.S. it's actually Port Townsend that I'm going to. Monday! What a crazy week this has been I'm glad it's almost over. Beer me for time, yes?
Colin are you still in Portland, the Land of Stupid Fluffy Beards?
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Squeebles
I'm New!

Post by Squeebles » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:58 am

go. enjoy
i agree. i have noticed the exact same thing and go/enjoy is good advice. as soon as i get my bus running i plan to do just that.
1977 VW Bus, 2.0 FI

Jivermo
IAC Addict!

Post by Jivermo » Sat Jul 11, 2015 7:54 am

Just go for it. Upon completion of my first Itinerant visit from Colin, I asked him, "Do you think I could drive this thing up or Pennsylvania OK? (from Miami). He said, "I'd drive this bus anywhere." Now that I know him a bit better, I suspect that was an indication more of his philosophy than the mechanical condition of my bus. But,it was good enough for me. I drove my bus 4,000 miles on that trip, not all without mishap, and it was one of the best trips of my life. I learned so much more about my bus from being on the road. If you're at home and you have an issue, you can park the bus in the driveway, and go in and have a beer. When you are 1500 miles from home, you must confront your problem head on, become very resourceful, and deal with it. Taking your bus on a trip is much like life...there are no guarantees here, and expect the unexpected. Because it's coming, in or out of the bus.

hambone

Post by hambone » Tue Aug 04, 2015 6:03 pm

It's alive! 4200' trip in the Cascades.

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Mon Aug 10, 2015 10:21 am

were you camping on pavment?
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.

hambone

Post by hambone » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:39 pm

No that was at the ranger station.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 18, 2015 6:37 pm

Jivermo wrote:When you are 1500 miles from home, you must confront your problem head on, become very resourceful, and deal with it. Taking your bus on a trip is much like life...there are no guarantees here, and expect the unexpected.
I knew you could deal with the minor little hiccoughs of a nice bus, so I said, "go! go! go!". And yes, I have propelled others across this country to get out there and deal with it. Ask the miz. I think the color is returning to his knuckles.
Colin
(nice shot Hambone, who drove Ma and who drove the other (name?)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone

Post by hambone » Sat Aug 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Don, who never posts on here. He got a '71 a couple years ago but the terrible engine died.
I also wrote about it here:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com/2015/ ... -2015.html

vistacruzer
IAC Addict!

Post by vistacruzer » Sun Sep 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Found you some flowery curtain material
71 bench 1915
70 wide lowered body rag top 2056 type4 DTM nothing stock if I could touch it.
Growing old is mandatory. Growing up is optional.