'79 Westy Rebuild

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:25 am

Using a buffer is an art form as far as I'm concerned. It is very easy to burn through the paint if you are not careful. Takes alot of patience to do it.
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:31 am

Wow VDub, not only are you a type A energizer bunny, you are the King of the Bays too. I have to ask too, what happened to your fleet? Your driveway used to be crammed full of AVCW's, like back when:

VDubtech's Baywindow Bus finder team in action:

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:28 pm

Sylvester wrote:I have to ask too, what happened to your fleet? Your driveway used to be crammed full of AVCW's
There are 3 Buses, a Squareback, my Saturn and my wife's Altima in the driveway, 3 Buses in the backyard, a Squareback in the garage and one Bus at a friend's house. Don't worry, there are still plenty of ACVW's here.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:35 pm

Today was a decent day, though it was pretty cold up until a couple hours ago. Got the rest of the Bus buffed and waxed, installed the tail lights, primed, painted and installed the rear bumper, installed the rear hatch mechanism, the rear hatch curtains and rods and the interior cover panel for the hatch. Threw the vanity plate that used to be on my '79 Westy back in the day on it so it looks all legal like. Tomorrow is opening day of trout fishing so I probably won't get much done and my back is killing me anyway from all of the buffing. Still, progress has been made and it's really looking good. Around mid afternoon the sun finally decided to come out and you can really see the shine in the paint now.

As far as what I'm using to buff it, I have a Milwaukee variable speed buffer (NOT a grinder, there is a difference) and I'm using a wool pad with a rubbing compound I actually got at Wal Mart made by Turtle Wax. I usually buy my compound at an auto body supply store but I was in Wal Mart and saw they finally carried a liquid rubbing compound and decided to give it a shot. It's worked pretty well I have to say. For wax, I'm just using a Mother's Gold Cleaner Wax once it's buffed. The results speak for themselves.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:46 pm

:prayer:

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:28 pm

Hey using a buffer is cheating! Gotta have callouses.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:55 pm

DO you use the buffer for the wax too?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Sylvester wrote:DO you use the buffer for the wax too?
No, a buffer is for buffing. Waxing is done by hand. Wax on, wax off.....

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:06 pm

gmag69 wrote::prayer:
What he said.

Thank you for sharing what products you use. I really need to buff my Riviera and was wondering what I should use.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hiwaycallin
Getting Hooked!

Post by hiwaycallin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:30 pm

Based on other posts you have made in the past I assume you used Rustoleum on the bumpers? Did you roll it or spray bomb it?

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:42 pm

hiwaycallin wrote:Based on other posts you have made in the past I assume you used Rustoleum on the bumpers? Did you roll it or spray bomb it?
Actually I used a spary paint from Rusoleum that I had preivously used on a set of wheels with good luck. It's Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy in Gloss White. I hit them with a good coat of primer than sprayed two coats of the white appliance epoxy. It dries really shiny and lays out nice and flat. I'll still use the roller method for the tops but I think this is my new favorite paint for bumpers and wheels. Comes in black and an almond color also. Got it at Home Depot, $4.77 a can, did both front and rear bumpers with two good coats and a little left over.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:47 am

Vdubtech wrote:
hiwaycallin wrote:Based on other posts you have made in the past I assume you used Rustoleum on the bumpers? Did you roll it or spray bomb it?
Actually I used a spary paint from Rusoleum that I had preivously used on a set of wheels with good luck. It's Rustoleum Appliance Epoxy in Gloss White. I hit them with a good coat of primer than sprayed two coats of the white appliance epoxy. It dries really shiny and lays out nice and flat. I'll still use the roller method for the tops but I think this is my new favorite paint for bumpers and wheels. Comes in black and an almond color also. Got it at Home Depot, $4.77 a can, did both front and rear bumpers with two good coats and a little left over.

Since you had good luck with it I'm planing on using that on my Jackman rims when I get them stripped down to bear metal.

Have fun fishing. Our season doesn't start till next month. I'm suprised anyone even goes here. You have to buy a license then buy stamps for whatever you are fishing for. You could end up spending over $100 for youe license. Crazy. #-o

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 5:45 am

So you catch anything or what? Gonna work on this beast? Your killing me here. ::hangman::

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:09 am

gmag69 wrote:So you catch anything or what? Gonna work on this beast? Your killing me here. ::hangman::
Cut me some slack little buddy!! Today it's supposed to be sunny and 65, hopefully this afternoon I'll have a picture of it with the windshield installed....more to come, don't worry. :geek:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:34 am

I know just yanking your chain. Your helping me get motivated to do more on mine.