My Westy Resto Thread

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:42 am

:cheers:

Glad your back let ya' get some work done!

What are you using to sand the metal/paint with?
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:33 am

My back is back to normal now so I'm able to work on it again. I'm using a small electric DA sander with 80 grit to start with then I go over it with 120 once it is sanded down. The top part of the hatch had to be stripped with aircraft stripper cause I was having a hard time getting the white paint off. I never knew Rustoleum could be that big of a PITA to get off. :lol: I may do the slider or the pass front door today I don't know though. We'll see.
:cheers:
Check out my Westy Resto thread. viewtopic.php?t=2063
bretski wrote:...oh, and we just bombed the moon.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Fri Sep 07, 2007 12:18 pm

I didn't get to do anything to the bus yesterday cause I took my son for a haircut and took the day to spend time with him. Hopefully I'll be able to get something done this weekend. That is if it doesn't rain. :pukeleft:

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Mon Sep 10, 2007 7:14 am

gmag69 wrote:I didn't get to do anything to the bus yesterday cause I took my son for a haircut and took the day to spend time with him. Hopefully I'll be able to get something done this weekend. That is if it doesn't rain. :pukeleft:
Hey Geno, get any Bus love done this weekend?
Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:47 am

Sylvester wrote:
gmag69 wrote:I didn't get to do anything to the bus yesterday cause I took my son for a haircut and took the day to spend time with him. Hopefully I'll be able to get something done this weekend. That is if it doesn't rain. :pukeleft:
Hey Geno, get any Bus love done this weekend?
No I'm working 2nd shift.I don't usually get much done on 2nd. My g/f's dad started sanding the top of the sliding door for me on Sat though. He was bored and was hiding out from his sons(Drunks) that always want him to drag them around everywhere. I may do the slider on Weds. cause it's suposed to be nice. That is if I can wrestle myself out of bed early enough to do it. :geek:

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:11 pm

Wow, nice work there. Makes mine seem like a bit of spit and polish to get it done :)

Keep the pictures flowing. What a nice looking rig you'll have.
63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:37 pm

Adventurewagen wrote:Wow, nice work there. Makes mine seem like a bit of spit and polish to get it done :)

Keep the pictures flowing. What a nice looking rig you'll have.
Thanks for the comment. I'll keep the pics coming as I go. It is going to be far from perfect but I'm not shooting for a show winner just a decent camper to take the family camping in. It would be hard to get a show winner in the front yard. :joker:

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:30 pm

Who wants a show winner anyway? Everone should be using these wonderful vehicles for what they were built for. I avoid shows like the plague.

-John
Keep it acoustic.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:00 pm

LiveonJG wrote:Who wants a show winner anyway? Everone should be using these wonderful vehicles for what they were built for. I avoid shows like the plague.

-John
I may enter mine in a few here just for the fun of it. It has some dents in the nose and stuff but I don't care. Buses are pretty rare here. I know of a few and Have seen a few but not many. I just wanna show it off. :geek:

iwantmybustorun
Addicted!

Post by iwantmybustorun » Mon Sep 10, 2007 5:47 pm

gmag69 wrote:Buses are pretty rare here. I know of a few and Have seen a few but not many. I just wanna show it off. :geek:
I know what you mean. I have been to a few shows, but it's only to find people to talk about busses with. The east doesn't have a bus on every street or a bunch of guys to meet for beer on monday's. :occasion5:
73 Westy
Weber single progressive
[Crane ignition system out]
SVDA and points

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:35 pm

iwantmybustorun wrote:
gmag69 wrote:Buses are pretty rare here. I know of a few and Have seen a few but not many. I just wanna show it off. :geek:
I know what you mean. I have been to a few shows, but it's only to find people to talk about busses with. The east doesn't have a bus on every street or a bunch of guys to meet for beer on monday's. :occasion5:
Isn't that the truth. :drunken:

LiveonJG
IAC Jester!
Location: Standing on the side of the road, rain falling on my shoes.

Post by LiveonJG » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:46 pm

:-({|=
Keep it acoustic.

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Mon Sep 10, 2007 6:56 pm

:toothy7: :thumbleft:

gmag69
IAC Addict!

Post by gmag69 » Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:35 am

Well I started stripping the slider with aircraft stripper today but had to stop cause it looked like it might rain and I didn't want to take a chance. Here are some pics.
What I started off with. (The streaks are oven cleaner I tryed to get the blue off)

This was after 2 coats of aircraft stripper.I threw on some rustolium primer for now till I can work on it again.

Here it is back on the bus till a later date.

It has some bondo along the bottom that I'll sand off and I need to fix the corners too. We'll get it fixed up for sure.
Till later.

Sylvester
Bad Old Puddy Tat.

Post by Sylvester » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:27 pm

Geno, you are the Norm Abram of Busses!

Up, up the long, delirious, burning blue, I’ve topped the wind-swept heights with easy grace. Where never lark, or even eagle flew. And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod, The high untrespassed sanctity of space, Put out my hand, and touched the face of God.