stupid money

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

TrollFromDownBelow
IAC Addict!

stupid money

Post by TrollFromDownBelow » Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm

I know the prices of baywindows have gone up...but wow. Granted, asking price is not transactional price, but looking at the Samba recently :cyclopsani: To put this into perspective, I bought a rust free, driving Westfalia in St, Paul, MN about 15 years ago for $3k. OG paint, all of the little accessories (cot, table, curtains,stool, unmolested interior, etc) and drove it back to Detroit, MI. After I get the rebuilt engine installed (see my boring engine thread), and do some minor cosmetics, a realistic asking price would be $20k-$25k. Not that I've got any immediate plans to sell it...but wow.

I had a bus in college about 30 years ago, and the fond memories is why I bought this one 15 years ago. 15 years ago the splitties were expensive, but the Bays (obviously) were still affordable. I feel fortunate that I was able to buy one back then...if they were anywhere near the prices they are today back then, it would have been a pipe dream.
1976 VW Bus aka tripod
FI ...not leaky, and not so noisy...and she runs awesome!
hambone wrote: There are those out there with no other aim but to bunch panties. It's like arguing with a pretzel.
::troll2::

JLT
Old School!

Re: stupid money

Post by JLT » Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm

TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm
15 years ago the splitties were expensive, but the Bays (obviously) were still affordable.
Whereas in the 1970s, it was the bays that were expensive and the splitties that were dirt cheap. Such are the vagaries of economics.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Present bus: '71 Dormobile Westie "George"
(sometimes towing a '65 Allstate single-wheel trailer)
Former buses: '61 17-window Deluxe "Pink Bus"
'70 Frankenwestie "Blunder Bus"
'71 Frankenwestie "Thunder Bus"

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 10:38 am

JLT wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 11:00 pm
TrollFromDownBelow wrote:
Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:44 pm
15 years ago the splitties were expensive, but the Bays (obviously) were still affordable.
Whereas in the 1970s, it was the bays that were expensive and the splitties that were dirt cheap. Such are the vagaries of economics.

Whereas in the human condition, anything that is rare becomes expensive, and all of these vehicles are becoming rare. Then the "culture" surrounding these cars becomes ............. different.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm

Speaking of economic vagaries, let's remember why those splitties were so cheap. When they first came on the US scene, they were practical choices for delivery vans in big cities or for ranchers on their spreads, but they weren't equipped for either hard climates or for freeway speeds. When American manufacturers started making similar vans with air conditioning, better heaters, more powerful engines, and power steering, the owners of VW vans traded up, and there were suddenly a lot of VW vans on the market that no sane American would buy as long as there were "better ones" made of American iron. (The infamous "chicken tax" also helped by pricing new foreign trucks and vans out of the market.) So a poor young person could buy them from a song, if you didn't mind their shortcomings.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:15 pm

JLT wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm
So a poor young person could buy them from a song, if you didn't mind their shortcomings.
... and their shortcomings became their countercultural strength that has held up to this day.
Colin - a real fanboy

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

JLT
Old School!

Post by JLT » Wed Jan 13, 2021 8:44 am

Amskeptic wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:15 pm
JLT wrote:
Tue Jan 12, 2021 2:16 pm
So a poor young person could buy them from a song, if you didn't mind their shortcomings.
... and their shortcomings became their countercultural strength that has held up to this day.
Colin - a real fanboy
True dat. What great book of the counterculture is still in print after over fifty years?

How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive: A Manual for the Compleat Idiot.
-- JLT
Sacramento CA