Gas Aux heater for the A/C Vanagon

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

davebrossi
I'm New!

Gas Aux heater for the A/C Vanagon

Post by davebrossi » Sat Jan 31, 2015 4:29 pm

Hello All,

My Vanagon keeps chugging along, but with winter at its coldest I've become aware of the fact that she might need a little help in keeping the interior warm. To that end I'm hoping to track down the various options that have been out there for supplanting the stock heating system while on the go. I'm vaguely familiar with the optional Aux heating system from my Bentley manual, but other than that were there any other aftermarket options? Specifically ones that are gas powered and not LPG systems. Thanks!

energyturtle
Getting Hooked!

Re: Gas Aux heater for the A/C Vanagon

Post by energyturtle » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:25 pm

Propex gas heater is the way to go. Go westy has a kit. They're awesome!

Scottie

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Re: Gas Aux heater for the A/C Vanagon

Post by airkooledchris » Sat Jan 31, 2015 10:54 pm

retrofitting a BA6 to a Vanagon that wasn't originally equipped with one would be a monumental PITA compared to going with a Propex setup, let alone actually finding a complete enough one to do the job. if it's already installed from the factory with it, it's worth investing the time to get a BA6 setup and working properly. If starting from scratch, Propex.

first id make sure your stock heating system is all well buttoned up as it can be. when I had a Vanagon with the BA6, the stock heat without the BA6's help was pretty fantastic - once it warmed up. there's always the issue with air-cooled VW heater systems, is that you got nothing until the engine is warmed up fully.
1979 California Transporter