The Chloe Build-Up - Done!

Bus, Microbus, Transporter, Station Wagon, Vanagon, Camper, Pick-Up.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

The Chloe Build-Up - Done!

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:46 pm

Today, I waded in to my first headliner installation. The first panel is the worst. You don't know what is going to happen, how the materials are going behave, how much wiggle room you have to make corrections, you don't know if the adhesive brush is going to stick to your fingers as the heat gun clatters across the capful of acetone near by, it is the first day of school, the first day at your new job, your first diaper change (I'm talking the old days with real pins not velcro), and you have scissors in your hands cutting material on a one-way street to certain catastrophe.

The first panel I chose to install was located on the driver's door b-pillar, directly behind me, so that if I screwed up, at least I would never see it while driving;

Hairy moments of guessing how much heat to use, hairy moments of adhesive oozing through the perforations and making my palms stick:

The passenger side b-pillar has no window or windlace to hold it, it is just glued to the metal, so I used the contact cement here, you get exactly one chance to get it right:

Getting a little more confident here behind the sliding door:

Working through the missing vent window in the sliding door trying to get the clamps all where they need to be:

Extremely nerve-wracking wrinkles in the corners *after* the adhesive has been applied:

More contact cement for a high-wear location between the headliner and side panel:

Here is the left c-pillar, where you have to stretch the hell out of the vinyl in four directions simultaneously, heat gun, spray adhesive, brush adhesive, little clamps big clamps extension cord dangling 40 watt trouble light, it is multi-tasking mess:

Did a cleaning test. Old headliner under a swatch of new headliner, both hit with a Bic pen. I used McGuires Leather and Vinyl cleaner here. You can see very minor transfer of ink onto the cloth, and both headliners still look like hell, thus your five year-old's death sentence remains on the docket.

But wait! Goof Off, the stuff I have been using for weeks now to remove all the old adhesive, picks the ink right up:

. . . . . . and it melts the vinyl. Here you can see where the new headliner was protecting the old headliner when I dabbed the ink off. Sorry about the change in lighting, my prima donna camera decided that it had had enough of firing up the flash:

Thirteen years hard labor for the kid should do it. Tomorrow, I do those big rear panels and the window sills, and I will do the main headliner on Saturday.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Re: The Chloe Build-Up

Post by hambone » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:09 pm

nice job
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:45 pm

This man's FEARLESS!! Taking on his first headliner in a bus of all things!!

Looks great so far. Can't wait to see more pics!!
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Fri Nov 21, 2014 2:24 pm

Looking at your progress makes me want to jump in and replace my convertible top on my Ghia, aw just kidding! Nice work
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:10 pm

Can't be "building up" stuff if you're too busy busting it . . .

That's right, with my left thumb only pushing mildly on the rubber inside the car, kakrak!
Hey Mtcamper, Montana finally caught up with me . . . :blackeye:

viewtopic.php?f=67&t=11477#p200714

FINE! I didn't like that damn chip anyway, but I am stranded here in Pensacola with rain on the way and Thanksgiving in Atlanta in trouble now . . .

So, anyways, it took quite the effort to get the windshield out even after the crack, seeing as Mike's painter glued the windshield in with trowelfuls of gray/black petrified gook. I used silicone spray and a motel card to break the outside perimeter a bit. Look at that poor seal, the stripes how can the stripes do their job?:

See how moisture gets in anyway, except now it is trapped:

Here water was drilling a tunnel down under the left side a-pillar paint (see the completed headliner sills and rear posts in the background?):

Sanded the moonscape window channel all the way around the better which for the seal stripes to do their job, then painted it. Look at how the pinchweld spot weld dots reflect at a perfect 180* :

So, yeah, tomorrow I put in the new headliner and wonder if windshields can be delivered on weekends no less.
Colin

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:21 pm

Windshields cannot be delivered on weekends.

Headliner was incorrectly assembled by TMI. The sewn-in loops that the headliner bows go through normally look like this:

But TMI sewed one of mine upside down:

In a panic, (I can't get to Atlanta for Thanksgiving if I have no windows in my car), I stuck about a hundred staples into the thing to MAKE a loop:

Slapped the headliner up:

Barely serviceable:

Found out that the sloppy fabrication ("better than OEM!" says their advertising) positioned the headliner bows too far forward in the cabin, the one over the sun visors is so far forward that the bow can't stand up, it crashes into the roof meeting the windshield:

I hope I can get a windshield by Tuesday and scram, but it is looking like a lonely Thanksgiving at the Law Firm . . . I'll open an extra can of Friskies seafood buffet and share it with the cats.
Colin :geek:

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 12:43 am

I can't believe this is the crap that vendors will peddle with ANY response other than "oh god we're so sorry let's make it right, right now!"
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

vwlover77
IAC Addict!

Post by vwlover77 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:56 am

Do the Ford and Chevy guys have to put up with this BS???? I suppose there are many more of them, so the suppliers are willing to invest the time and expense to do it right. Sad.
Don

---------------------------
78 Westy
71 Super Beetle Convertible Autostick

"When we let our compassion go, we let go of whatever claim we have to the divine." - Bruce Springsteen

glasseye
IAC Addict!

Post by glasseye » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:15 am

Amazing how one man's "barely serviceable" is another man's "fucking AWEsome!" :study:
"This war will pay for itself."
Paul Wolfowitz, speaking of Iraq.

wcfvw69
Old School!

Post by wcfvw69 » Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:04 pm

I just wonder if Colin wouldn't be better off sourcing the correct material and taking it and his original headliner to an upholstery shop to sew it up exactly like the original is. Then install it in his bus.

What makes this worse is Mario with TMI was on the thread with Colin on The Samba challenging the folks who questioned TMI's "quality" of parts. They were clearly making this headliner at the same time. After talking about how TMI strives for the best quality and fit they can do, they ship Colin this headliner? Wow...
1970 Westfalia bus. Stock 1776 dual port type 1 engine. Restored German Solex 34-3. Restored 205Q distributor, restored to factory appearance engine.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:53 pm

asiab3 wrote:I can't believe this is the crap that vendors will peddle with ANY response other than "oh god we're so sorry let's make it right, right now!"
You read Mario's diatribe against me on theSamba in response to my post about them staking a claim to true quality?

So I have this thing. The errors have piled up. Incorrect dimensions. Incorrect meeting of the panels (causes bunching), incorrect length of the rear retainer blocked the screws to the tailgate hinge covers, when I trimmed it, threads started unravelling in two places, and they have the wrong dimension on the rear hanger fabric, making the headliner droop between the tailgate covers (photos to come). The advertising on their website "better than OEM!" is going to be plastered in my every communication with him.
ColinTired & Discouraged

rustbus
I'm New!

Post by rustbus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:11 pm

Aww crap Colin that stinks man.

I had a upholstery shop install a TMI headliner I found locally in the classifieds. They did ok, but I'm thinking your experience explains why I have loose wrinkles in a couple spots.

The shop did a poor job in the corners compared to yours. Lots of wrinkles. In their defense they did the whole job with the windows in against their recommendation

$1200 is what I paid for labour and glue

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:10 pm

rustbus wrote:Aww crap Colin that stinks man.

I had a upholstery shop install a TMI headliner I found locally in the classifieds. They did ok, but I'm thinking your experience explains why I have loose wrinkles in a couple spots.

The shop did a poor job in the corners compared to yours. Lots of wrinkles. In their defense they did the whole job with the windows in against their recommendation

$1200 is what I paid for labour and glue
That is a lot of money for windows in . . .

Here is the center part. Nicely drawn snug, but to your left a four sail wrinkle at the ceiling where you can see that the seamstress/seamster accidentally let the two panels separate for about six dots. This causes one panel to bunch while the other is taut:

There is a 38 1/2 " groove back here for the headliner plastic retainer to slip in. The TMI plastic retainer was 40", The headliner is sewn to this plastic retainer. The tailgate hinge cover screws were entirely blocked. Snipped the ends 3/4" in on both sides, and now I have threads unravelling all over the damn place:

This is the most maddening, I am four hours on this one. The rear of the headliner hangs on metal hooks with a rod (that is sort of like a headliner bow) that passes through the "listing" material. Well, the listing is too long, so the entire rear of the headliner hangs too low across here, which causes a wrinkle that is damn near impossible to get rid of without ripping the whole damn thing out and stretching it. Rustbus, does your bus have wrinkles back here? Do you have a droop between the tail gate covers?

I have the headliner disassembled after this picture, hanging down at the side windows tonight to see if it will contract a bit so I can try again tomorrow as I look for a windshield:

So sorry Chloe.
Colin

rustbus
I'm New!

Post by rustbus » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:45 pm

Yeah, mine looks pretty rough:

So you're actually looking pretty good compared to mine. I always blamed the installer, but now I see what they had to work with wasn't fair...

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:56 pm

Never been happier I have a headlinerless camper.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com