Pigalle Squareback?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:22 pm

Bookwus wrote:Oh get outta the sun and cool down.
Humor. You know the word, I've seen you laugh. It was all in fun.
Oh, Rad (bus) (money) Pitt has nooooo sense of humor here, I am just a working drudge cruising around the country waking up to new vistas each day in a humorless funk as I climb the hill into the sunshine and exclaim humorlessly, "Dang! I wish Bookwus was here to see THIS!" then skip joylessly down the hill to plan my tedious day of reckless driving down glorious roads wondering how I am going to cough up $12.37 for my next oil change.
Colinina Joylee
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:30 pm

Hiya CK,
Amskeptic wrote:.....Oh, Rad (bus) (money) Pitt has nooooo sense of humor here, I am just a working drudge cruising around the country waking up to new vistas each day in a humorless funk as I climb the hill into the sunshine and exclaim humorlessly, "Dang! I wish Bookwus was here to see THIS!" then skip joylessly down the hill to plan my tedious day of reckless driving down glorious roads wondering how I am going to cough up $12.37 for my next oil change......
Aha! Our suspicions have been confirmed at last!
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:59 am

So, I am going to re-highjack my thread here.

I think I have decided to pass on this one. After looking through both of the imbedded Samba threads and seeing some of the other issues (passenger door sag, non-working windows, significant oil leaks) I am a bit leery of the seller. He was not proactive about any of these things, and only acknowledged them after I told him that I had read the posts.

Thanks for all of your help with getting this info and helping me make the decision!

I now have my eye on this one instead:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/ ... ?id=816142
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

Maz804
Getting Hooked!

Post by Maz804 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:03 am

I saw that one last night on TS as I was searching for 1973 models... I like that one and it's clean, fuel injected, and... clean! I'd buy that runner!
I just acquired my own 1973 squareback through a trade deal last night.... I'm happy!
:bounce:
"I love the curves man... Early Bays got the curves..."

1970 Riviera: Ramona
1969 Safare Camper: Lucy - reduced to parts
1971 Deluxe Transporter: Miles - sold
1963 Bug - sold
1973 Squareback - sold
1979 Westfalia - sold
1967 Bug - sold
1971 Westfalia - sold

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:07 am

Sweet! If I pick this up, we will have to get our '73's together...

I am checking it out tomorrow AM.
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

We are not going to stick anything that dirty down in your hole - Colin, 6/30/2010

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:07 am

Hiya John,
fancy pants wrote:So, I am going to re-highjack my thread here.
Yeah, we were getting a bit carried away from the original focus. Sorry about that.
I think I have decided to pass on this one. After looking through both of the imbedded Samba threads and seeing some of the other issues (passenger door sag, non-working windows, significant oil leaks) I am a bit leery of the seller. He was not proactive about any of these things, and only acknowledged them after I told him that I had read the posts.
You gotta go with what the vibes are telling you. FWIW, I had some of those same feelings.
I now have my eye on this one instead:

Whoa! That looks really nice. And you can go look at this one. Looks and sounds like a thumbs up situation to me.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:20 am

fancy pants wrote:...we will have to get our '73's together...
:goodman:

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:56 pm

fancy pants wrote:I now have my eye on this one instead:

Me likey!

... and the best part... it's FUEL INJECTED!!! :cheers:

o.k. I like fuel injected VW's, what are you looking at?
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

spiffy
IAC Addict!

Post by spiffy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:44 pm

Oh my, that's nice.
78 Riviera "Spiffy"
67 Riviera "Bill"

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:46 pm

spiffy wrote:Oh my, that's nice.
I think you need one.

bretski
Ellipsis-Meister
Ellipsis-Meister

Post by bretski » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:52 pm

That car must be purchased by one of us. I'd snap it up if it were closer, new debt be damned!
1978 Deluxe Westfalia - "Klaus"

"transcripts are overrated. hardware store receipts: those are useful." --skin daddio

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:45 pm

I am on it. 8:45 tomorrow AM!
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:01 pm

Fuel-injected Squareback owners unite!
:flower:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

fancy pants
Old School!

Post by fancy pants » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:46 pm

Done!

Picked her up this morning down in Corvallis.

The good:
- Body is absolutely straight, with no rust at all except for where the previous owner "backed into something". Even the bumpers have no wrinkles, except for the aforemetioned backing into, but it is not creased, so should be easy to deal with.

-Interior is immaculate, re-done with original materials, back seat re-stuffed. Front seats have new vinyl, but were not re-stuffed (and need to be). New carpeting. Headliner has no stains, but one very small tear at the rear (should be fixable).

- All trim is present, dash has not been cut for a new radio, all electrical works, except the clock

- Owner has had the car for past 10 years and it has been well pampered, judging by physical appearance.

The bad:

- Someone in the past put on 15" wheels with a different bolt pattern, thus rendering the spare useless. I am hoping it will be easy enough to get original wheels back on.

- Owner did not tell me that it had been in storage for the past 2 years until I arrived. She said that she drained the fuel, but when she started it up last week she did nothing but add gas (arrghhh!). No oil change, no tune up, no valve adjust, no brake inspection. She has been driving it all week and told me it was "cutting out sometimes - might be the fuel filter". I checked the oil and it was 1.5 qts down and dark black. I added oil and drove it 2-3 miles during which it started bucking and the oil light came on at idle.

So, I told her that I wasn't expecting the mechanical condition that it was in, and told her that I hoped there was no damage from her driving it around all week. In the end I offered her $2300 (she was asking $2800).

With shape the body is in, and the interior I still think I got the best of this. I will attack the engine, brakes, fuel lines, etc this weekend and hopefully a little love brings her right back into shape.

:cheers:
John
76 Bus - Riviera
81 Mercedes 300TD
05 Golf TDI

Gone but not forgotten:
1972 Bus
1973 Squareback

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:10 am

Hiya John,

Sounds like this one has a lot of promise! Nice going.

Yeah, nothiing like prepping that ol' sleepy engine before you wake it up. POs............whaddygonna do? Give that engine a little TLC.

By the way, the clock fix should be an easy one. I bought a bunch of old Type 3 clocks (they were cheap) to hone my clock fixing skills. Very easy to work on.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.