Tell me everything I need to know about Ghias

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Tell me everything I need to know about Ghias

Post by IFBwax » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:38 pm

this is a new world to me.

What years were they made?
What kind of engines..
Best years/models?

Power compared to bugs? Differences?

Pros/Cons

What to stay away from.

Thanks...
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Gypsie
rusty aircooled mekanich

Post by Gypsie » Tue Jul 07, 2009 10:25 pm

=D> I'm glad you are looking at ghias.

I think this is the right direction for you, style wise.

Totally can see you zipping around in your well-appointed-air-cooled-sports-car.

Don't get me wrong, I love my little puddle jumper bug but ghias have that Speed Racer line.

Don't know anything about them myself but I am looking forward to hearing from the group.
So it all started when I wanted to get better gas mileage....

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Re: Tell me everything I need to know about Ghias

Post by whc03grady » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:00 pm

IFBwax wrote:this is a new world to me.
Pros/Cons
It's my understanding that there are a lot more welded body panels and thence more chances for rust.

I had a roommate with a 1971 1/2 Ghia and let me tell you, that was the smallest car I've ever driven. They are dinky.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:22 pm

Well, unless you are talking about a Type 34, or 'Razor' Ghia, you posted in the wrong section. Ghias are Type 1's.

This is a Type 3 Ghia:

And this is a Type 1 Ghia:

I suspect that you are talking about a Type 1 Ghia.

Type 1 Ghias have the same engine, tranny and beam as the Type 1, but the pan is wider. A good place to start is here:

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=67460

If you actually are looking into a T34, get in touch with me via PM and I'll be happy to put you in touch with some better resources.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:37 pm

Hiya Wayne,

Ghia production started up in the mid-fifties after a bunch of putzing around design wise. The actual US production ran from 1956 to 1974. Ghias were powered by the same engines as Bugs every year during their production run. So, 40hp 1200 engines in the mid sixties moving up to 60 hp 1600 dual port engines in the seventies.

The big knock on this Euro-style "sports car" was that it was underpowered for a true sports car. Basically, the Ghia is a trendy and chic Bug. If you are considering a Ghia you will definitely want to drive one a bit. The "feel" of the car is quite a bit different (but in some ways the same) as a Bug.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Tue Jul 07, 2009 11:43 pm

And early, low-light Ghias seem to be preferred.

Main thing when approaching a Ghia: check how solid the nose is. Prone to rust, bashing and bondo.

I've never been a huge fan, but somebody in my neck of the woods has an early black 'vert that I would be more than proud to own. It was just perfect.

Money is not speech.

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:29 am

They are pretty much Beetles in a fancy suit. The pans and suspension is slightly different but everything else is Beetle.
Body repair can be expensive so don't get a battered one.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:58 am

Well, since I have had one for 2 weeks now and know everything there is to know about em...

You sit lower, lots of interior room, like driving a Beetle hp wise, heat is good, fun to drive, the Convertable top is easy to use.
Parts are available for not too much...soo much cheaper than a 914.

Not even close to as much fun to drive as my 914...but Monique really likes it as it is quieter to drive around in. Rear seat does fold down to a BIG area to carry crap...front trunk is ok too for stuff.

Its a 1955 design with few improvements! Its a weird fun car that draws a crowd when parked.....its got enough hp to zip around in and is easy on gas...

As more and more of em are being scooped up by the young slammed to the ground/18"tire/nerf bar crowd the stockers are getting to be worth more $$$$.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:14 pm

sorry Meyer.. you're absolutely right.. Colin.. can you move thread to type one? Interesting from all. My wife and I saw one while driving down to the campground this week and though it was a bit ratty and had lots of splotches on it.. she thought it looked pretty cool.

Bug or ghia would be fine by me.. but I'd hate to give up Charlie. Maybe we need a warehouse to park cars in.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:47 pm

What about a 914? Same engine, sporty, affordable.

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Jul 08, 2009 10:58 pm

IFBwax wrote:sorry Meyer.. you're absolutely right.. Colin.. can you move thread to type one? Interesting from all. My wife and I saw one while driving down to the campground this week and though it was a bit ratty and had lots of splotches on it.. she thought it looked pretty cool.

Bug or ghia would be fine by me.. but I'd hate to give up Charlie. Maybe we need a warehouse to park cars in.
You could go for the brass ring and try for a T34... Go for it!!!!!

Money is not speech.

covelo
Old School!

Post by covelo » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:04 pm

IFBwax wrote: Maybe we need a warehouse to park cars in.
My problem exactly. Owning cars is relatively inexpensive if you don't drive them all the time (especially compared to Europe where you pay a monthly "use tax"), but storage/parking is the challenge. I also love ghias. It's a natural progression to start with a bus and buy a beetle or ghia next I think.
‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:28 pm

covelo wrote:
IFBwax wrote: Maybe we need a warehouse to park cars in.
My problem exactly. Owning cars is relatively inexpensive if you don't drive them all the time (especially compared to Europe where you pay a monthly "use tax"), but storage/parking is the challenge. I also love ghias. It's a natural progression to start with a bus and buy a beetle or ghia next I think.
Right. And then you naturally work your way to a true Type 3.

:cheers:

Money is not speech.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 pm

MeyerII wrote:
IFBwax wrote:sorry Meyer.. you're absolutely right.. Colin.. can you move thread to type one? Interesting from all. My wife and I saw one while driving down to the campground this week and though it was a bit ratty and had lots of splotches on it.. she thought it looked pretty cool.

Oooo, stop it. I'm already out of control. The more I see photos, the more the T34 body lines grow on me. Just stop it! Although, Corvairs keep popping into my head, too.

I've been driving our Ghia here a bit more lately, and, well, yeah! You have to get use to the axle-eye view of trucks, pickups, etc., especially after a bus. Once you get a feel for how they drive, they slip through corners reeaaaalll nice. Whipping her up the windy climb to Dunnigan Mountain rocks. And on the freeway she's a cruiser.

Alas, solid ones are a tough find, but can be found, usually not bargain priced, however. Add another $3k for a convertible.

Then there are the T34s. I'm still surprised at how many folks ask me what kind of car our T1 Ghia is, I didn't have a clue T34s existed until about 6 years ago myself.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Thu Jul 09, 2009 6:54 am

ruckman101 wrote:
MeyerII wrote:

Oooo, stop it. I'm already out of control. The more I see photos, the more the T34 body lines grow on me. Just stop it! Although, Corvairs keep popping into my head, too.

I've been driving our Ghia here a bit more lately, and, well, yeah! You have to get use to the axle-eye view of trucks, pickups, etc., especially after a bus. Once you get a feel for how they drive, they slip through corners reeaaaalll nice. Whipping her up the windy climb to Dunnigan Mountain rocks. And on the freeway she's a cruiser.

Alas, solid ones are a tough find, but can be found, usually not bargain priced, however. Add another $3k for a convertible.

Then there are the T34s. I'm still surprised at how many folks ask me what kind of car our T1 Ghia is, I didn't have a clue T34s existed until about 6 years ago myself.

neal
I picked up our 70 Ghia Convt for 3800. Pretty solid car but needs alot of bits and pieces to bring it up to snuff besides paint. The black paint job is sloppy but I have been wet sanding it and cleaning it up so its atleast a 10 footer now.
It drives nice but it doesn't come close to the driving feel of a stock 914 or is laughable compared to my setup 914 which is like driving a slot car on the street.
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/