Which is wrong--muffler, bumper, or overriders?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Which is wrong--muffler, bumper, or overriders?

Post by whc03grady » Thu Apr 02, 2009 9:36 pm

Certainly VW was never this stupid--the tailpipe dumps directly into the lower part of the overrider, so exhaust takes a u-turn and blasts all over the back of the car:

Is the muffler wrong (looks stock to me)? or,
Are the overriders mounted in the wrong place (n.b.: there aren't any other holes in the bumper for them)? or,
Did someone put a front bumper on the back?
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Apr 02, 2009 10:41 pm

Yeah, that shouldn't happen .. sumpin' ain't righy.

Hard to tell from the angle of the one picture that shows the muffler/tailpipe/bumper/over-rider combo, but it looks like maybe the tailpipe is too short (not extending from the apron enough) and/or .. too short (overall length of the damper/tailpipe out of the muffler).

But I really can't tell. Got any other pictures with a better angle of the problem area .. or can you take some? I'll go out tomorrow (when there's light) and try to get some pics of the muffler/tailpipe/bumper area of my Fastback for comparison tomorrow, but the bumper on there right now doesn't have overriders.

Offer still stands on the other muffler in my driveway. If you can use it, it's yours for whatever shipping costs...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!

MeyerII
IAC Addict!

Post by MeyerII » Thu Apr 02, 2009 11:33 pm

Wow! I'm going to say that bumpers and overriders look right, so long as the overrider on the left is roughly centered over tthe seam on the back panel (can't see with all that soot). But the tailpipe should come out just inboard of the overrider on the left and extend past the plane of the overrider. At least that's the way it is on my '65.

Corporations are not people.

Money is not speech.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Apr 03, 2009 4:30 am

Guessing. Aftermarket tail pipe to fit different model years, maybe different models as well. After market products for vintage cars don't all suck, sometimes it's expected to make minor mods to fit. A professional wouldn't even blink at that tailpipe, they'd just cut and turn the tailpipe then weld it back on. I had to do that with my type 4 bus tailpipe from Dansk. Could have been more about my bumper than the tailpipe but I felt it was too close to my bumper. You can fix that your self for less than $20. Cut the pipe off near the apron, Leave enough straight pipe so you can slip a turn down from the auto parts store on there and use muffler clamp to hold it. Something like this. you would probably have to trim any turn down you buy as well in order to get the appearance you want. You could even put a piece of bling on it.

1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sat Apr 04, 2009 10:30 pm

Is this better?
tristessa-we might take you up on that muffler. Are you going to Maupin?
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:56 am

Didn't get any pikshurz yet, batteries in the digicam are dead.

Yeah, that's better. Overrider placement is good; I've got a set of bumpers with them, just not installed yet. Tailpipe is short; mine goes out to the rear edge of the bumper .. but OTOH if it was longer the overrider would interfere with the tailpipe.

Hmm.. gonna have to think on this.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:44 pm

Stock Squareback with original exhaust system:
(no blackening of the body or bumpers. Note how far the pipe extends underneath the overrider in the first picture:

BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:11 pm

There we go...

And yeah, I'ma gonna be at Maupin again this year .. sorry, missed that part of your post. Want me to bring the muffler along?

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:35 pm

Amskeptic wrote: Image
The tailpipe definitely doesn't stick out that far and doesn't have the angle to the end of it (nor is it that clean--good god, man!). Overrider placement is the same. I'm wondering if I'm missing something on the end of the tailpipe or something.
tristessa--we'll take that muffler off your hands at Maupin if it's not any trouble. Tell me what kind of beer you like.