Any other Type III owners?

Fastback, Squareback, Notchback, T-3 Karmann Ghia.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

covelo
Old School!

Any other Type III owners?

Post by covelo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:38 am

This is ours (in Golden Gate Park). We have had it for a year now and haven't done any major maintenance except replacing worn tires and fuel lines (it had been sitting for five years) and replacing the clutch. It's a great car.

‘80 Vanagon Westfalia - 54,400 miles
'91 Toyota Pickup (4WD long bed) - 199,960 miles
1987 Alfa Spider Veloce - 166,400 miles
2017 VW E-Golf - 5,600 miles

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Any other Type III owners?

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 6:41 pm

covelo wrote: This is ours It's a great car.
It is. I want one. Here's a forum for you to drag in like-minded Type III owners. Hopefully someone will sell me their low mileage cobalt blue/white interior 1969 Squareback for < $3,000.00
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Adventurewagen
IAC Addict!

Post by Adventurewagen » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm

I've got a 63 notch. Not much going on with it right now. I broke a bleeder valve on the front right wheel cylinder and I have a mysterious leak coming from the tranny and a small drip from the master cylinder. Otherwise it runs great and I use it as a daily driver.

I've also got an original distributor and a couple old side draft carbs that I'll be working on if and when I get the time. I also have a stereo that I'm going to put in the glove box with hidden kick panel houses for the front speakers. The car is pretty much complete and for now I just have no money to throw at it for the few expensive odds and ends I'd need to finish it off completely.

63 Gulf Blue Notch
71 Sierra Yellow Adventurewagen
DjEep wrote:Velo? Are you being "over-run"? Do you need to swim through a sea of Mexican anchor-babies to get to your bus in the morning?
:wav:

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:42 pm

That is a beautiful car. I ran into a Squareback yesterday that The Sage has promised for his wife. It is the same color and year as my very first VW purchase. I wanted it. I want one. He also has a D-Jet Type III engine sitting up there. I need to make money NOW so I can buy one before these cars disappear.
Colin

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:32 am

My GF Jill might be starting on her Squareback, I think it is a 71, yellow.. Needs some body work and an engine rebuild....
Colin,,,,weren't you going to spend 5 months this winter in Florida,,,around the Tampa area?????? [-o<

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Aug 23, 2006 8:06 pm

steve74baywin wrote:My GF Jill might be starting on her Squareback, I think it is a 71, yellow.. Needs some body work and an engine rebuild....
Colin,,,,weren't you going to spend 5 months this winter in Florida,,,around the Tampa area?????? [-o<
Sure. For a squareback I will. . .
Colin

tristessa
Trusted Air-Cooled Maniac

Post by tristessa » Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:03 pm

I'm around, but I'm mostly lurking. Still tinkering away at our '70 Fastback, but all I can say for when it'll be back on the road is "one of these days". <sigh>

I did get to head down to Roseburg for the 2006 Type 3 Invasion, had a blast, got to hang out with some people I hadn't seen since the '02 Invasion. 40-someodd cars, including three T34 Ghias

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sat Sep 02, 2006 11:30 am

tristessa wrote:Still tinkering away at our '70 Fastback, but all I can say for when it'll be back on the road is "one of these days".
How close to street-driveable is it? I'd like to have a look at it when I am in town.
Colin

4x4
I'm New!

Post by 4x4 » Sun Sep 03, 2006 3:06 pm

type 3s kick ass, I have 3.
2 squares and a fasty, and a parts fasty.

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Tue Sep 05, 2006 4:02 pm

Amskeptic wrote:How close to street-driveable is it? I'd like to have a look at it when I am in town.
It's got a ways to go. Still need to drain, clean & fill the gas tank, R&R the fuelpump, connect the fuelpump, rebuild or replace the master cylinder .. among other things.

And then there's the whole issue of fixing the roof ...

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re:

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2015 10:48 am

Amskeptic wrote:That is a beautiful car. I ran into a Squareback yesterday that The Sage has promised for his wife. It is the same color and year as my very first VW purchase. I wanted it. I want one. He also has a D-Jet Type III engine sitting up there. I need to make money NOW so I can buy one before these cars disappear.
Colin
Did I mention that I actually did buy a Squareback . . . a half decade ago?
ColinShouldStopByMoreOften

Hobug
Getting Hooked!

Post by Hobug » Wed May 27, 2015 5:28 am

Here is my wife and Colin adjusting the valves on her 69 Square. I'll try to find a picture with more Squareback and less Colin.

76 Westy
69 Squareback (auto)
63 Bug
73 Thing (Type 4 powered)

nerfer
I'm New!

Post by nerfer » Sun Jun 28, 2015 4:44 pm

Hey, new member here. I'm NW of Chicago, and have a '68 fastback. (It was built within a month of when I was born). I'm slowly working on the brakes, had to replace the master cylinder but I had the "old-style" master cylinder with wiring that doesn't show up on any chart I can find (has 3 brake switches on the master cylinder), but I think I got that figured out. I haven't bled brakes before or anything like that, so I'm learning.

I had the good luck of running into Colin in the parking lot at my workplace. He was just there in a quiet spot doing some maintenance on his bus. So we had a nice chat for 10-15 minutes before I became too late for work.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 30, 2015 9:25 am

nerfer wrote:Hey, new member here. I'm NW of Chicago, and have a '68 fastback. (It was built within a month of when I was born). I'm slowly working on the brakes, had to replace the master cylinder but I had the "old-style" master cylinder with wiring that doesn't show up on any chart I can find (has 3 brake switches on the master cylinder), but I think I got that figured out. I haven't bled brakes before or anything like that, so I'm learning.

I had the good luck of running into Colin in the parking lot at my workplace. He was just there in a quiet spot doing some maintenance on his bus. So we had a nice chat for 10-15 minutes before I became too late for work.
I remember you. Our conversation occurred the morning of my disastrous choice of camping spot, where I was awakened by jack hammers just across the chain link fence. You can post photographs here from any hosting site with an address/jpg using our IMG tags above your replay window. Welcome. Do you have carbs (booo) or electronic fuel injection (yaaaay)?
Colin

tristessa

Post by tristessa » Tue Jun 30, 2015 11:41 am

Welcome aboard!

I'm two weeks into Finally Starting To Do Something With My Fastback, which is a green 1970 model that's been hibernating in the driveway for the last 12 years. Started attacking a few suspect spots on the body with a paint/rust remover wheel to see how deep the bondo is, ordered new pop-out seals from ISP West that I can't really afford under the "get them while they're available" theme. I need to strip down the replacement door, hood and fender and get them prepped for paint, then start figuring out what to do about the horribly dented roof that someone went dancing on one night long long ago...
Remember, only YOU can prevent narcissism!