engine missing

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

mentalQtip
Addicted!

engine missing

Post by mentalQtip » Wed May 11, 2011 8:58 pm

Ok. The engine in my thing started idling rough. I tried pulling the distributor wire for #3 and no change. Then I tried #4 and still no change. Then I pulled both of them off and it still didn't change the idle. I was surprised that it would keep running with only the #1 and #2 wires on. I checked the compression at 95 on #3 and 120 on #4. The plugs were sooty black.
Before this all happened I forgot and left the key in the run position all night and the battery was almost drained. After charging it up is when I found the 3 and 4 plugs not firing. What damage might I have done?

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Re: engine missing

Post by Xelmon » Wed May 11, 2011 9:07 pm

mentalQtip wrote:Before this all happened I forgot and left the key in the run position all night and the battery was almost drained. After charging it up is when I found the 3 and 4 plugs not firing. What damage might I have done?
As far as having it sit on the Run position, nothing. It just supplies power to an uncharged system.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Wed May 11, 2011 9:23 pm

Ok, thats great. But why did the engine start idling rough and the 3 and 4 plugs stop firing?
Or what is the likely reason that 1 and 2 plugs fire normally and 3 and 4 don't?

Thanks

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Wed May 11, 2011 10:39 pm

Gas, Fire, Air.

Since it's fire you're missing, time to look at your wires, plugs and everything along the way. The power-on can be a false lead or not, so just start working your way up the river (i.e. wires) till you find where the current stops.

Best,

Lanval

Xelmon
Sedna of VW lovers

Post by Xelmon » Wed May 11, 2011 11:11 pm

Lanval wrote:The power-on can be a false lead or not, so just start working your way up the river (i.e. wires) till you find where the current stops.
Ditto, my brain is too fried to put that into words.

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Thu May 12, 2011 6:22 am

I have heard that leaving the ignition on can harm your points but that would affect all cylinders, not just two... do as the others have suggested and start tracking this down methodically.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu May 12, 2011 6:26 am

As the others have said, you gots no sparky to half of your reactor!

Pull the distributor cap off and see what condition your condition is in. In theory, you could have fried the points by leaving the key on, but that would affect all four sparkys, not just two. No matter, check the points, rotor, cap and wires. Replace them with known good ones if anything looks hinky. BTW, you can't tell the condition of the wires by looking so you might have to shotgun those.
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Thu May 12, 2011 12:03 pm

Yep points. Probably melted together.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Thu May 12, 2011 1:18 pm

Progress report:

I replaced the cap, rotor, and wires with new ones from Halsey. Not one bit of change. I can pull both the 3 and 4 wires with no difference in how it runs. I used a stethoscope to listen for air leaking at the intake manifold at both places where there is a seal and heard nothing. If the points were damaged wouldn't they not work for #1 and #2 also?
There is compression, fuel, and there should be spark with new cap, rotor, and wires. The plugs are new also.
What could affect only the left side? I can only think of a air leak, and the seals are all new also. Also it was running fine before so I wouldn't think that an air leak could be at fault.
For only running on #1 and #2 it runs pretty good.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu May 12, 2011 3:13 pm

Start the engine. Hold one of the plug side wire ends to something metal (without starting a fire!) and see if you have spark.
If you have compression then the only thing missing is spark. If so then it is ignition related. Distributor points or condenser.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu May 12, 2011 3:57 pm

I have to throw this out there, just in case, speaking from experience, firing order correct?

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Thu May 12, 2011 6:25 pm

Neil, I've had the firing order wrong more often than right. Couldn't get it to start for the longest time and kept checking the wires and finally figured out that they really were wrong.
I'm heading to Baxter's for starting fluid to spray around the seals of the intake manifold.
New parts:
cap
rotor
wires
plugs

I'm about to give up for awhile.

Joseph

mentalQtip
Addicted!

Post by mentalQtip » Thu May 12, 2011 7:19 pm

Ok, then. The starter fluid made no difference in rpm, suggesting no air leak there.
The biggest clue I can think of is its only on the left bank, and it affects both #3 and #4. I wouldn't think that anything in the ignition system would do that. What if the head was loose? But 90 and 120 should be enough to fire. My biggest question would be what changed suddenly. I started it and it idled fine and later I started it and it doesn't.

Joseph

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Thu May 12, 2011 8:04 pm

Have you confirmed the valves are opening and closing? Crank the engine as if you were adjusting the valves and visually confirm. That's all I can think of.

neal
The slipper has no teeth.

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu May 12, 2011 8:26 pm

You sure the distributor is OK?
Check compression again, but that's too high for loose heads.