Pedal Cluster Removal

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Pedal Cluster Removal

Post by dtrumbo » Sat May 15, 2010 6:52 am

Hi all youse Type-1 types!

I need to do a little rehab on my accelerator pedal in my Beetle. I bought the repair kit and it appears I have all the bits and pieces needed to do the deed. Now I'm wondering about the best way to go about it.

It would SEEM that removing the entire pedal cluster would allow wonderful access to all the parts I need to repair/replace and allow me to clean and lube up everything to ship-shape condition. Mr. Bentley describes the process as easy-peasey as you could ever dream of, but I wanted to get some "real-world" advice on the subject.

So, has anyone removed the pedal cluster in their Beetle? How did it go? Any traps?

Thanks!
- Dick

1970 Transporter. 2015cc, dual Weber IDF 40's
1978 Riviera Camper. Bone stock GE 2.0L F.I.
1979 Super Beetle convertible.

... as it turns out, it was the coil!

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Mon May 17, 2010 8:14 am

It's easy but you will have to loosen up the clutch cable at the trans first. It fits over a little hook inside the tunnel on the removable pedal cluster.
You may also have to remove the brake retaining bracket bolt from the floor, but not sure.
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Mon May 17, 2010 10:06 am

Thanks! You're advice seems to concur with those over on "that other site". I'll let y'all know how it goes.
- Dick

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:10 pm

How'd it go? Beetle pedal clusters, like all things VW, are "easy" on paper, often a frikken PITMFA in practice.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:46 pm

DjEep wrote:How'd it go? Beetle pedal clusters, like all things VW, are "easy" on paper, often a frikken PITMFA in practice.
Haven't done it yet. The luggage bin project on the bus getting ready for Maupin took precedence. I might not get to it until after we get back. Everything I touch turns into a PITMFA, so I'm ready for it.
- Dick

hambone

Post by hambone » Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:55 am

"just 1 bolt" yeah yeah
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:34 pm

I just removed the pedal cluster from my Thing. It uses a beetle cluster. 2 17mm bolts hold it to the side of the tunnel. Disconnect the clutch cable, the accell cable and the brake rod slips off after you unhook the spring. Remove the 2 bolts and its in your hand.
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

dtrumbo
IAC Addict!

Post by dtrumbo » Thu Jul 08, 2010 6:14 am

Thanks for the encouragement. It's still on my "to-do" list. Now that the weather is nice, and I have to drive it to work on Fridays for the foreseeable future, I'm not quite ready yet to dive in. Sounds like it's not too bad though.
- Dick

hambone

Post by hambone » Thu Jul 08, 2010 7:13 am

It's not bad if you loosen the clutch cable 1st. It's impossible otherwise. :blackeye: