67 beetle - im locked out, with keys in my hand

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

67 beetle - im locked out, with keys in my hand

Post by airkooledchris » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:15 pm

doh

passenger side - you have to keep trying to turn the key before it finally realizes its the correct key for the lock, then it actually pushes the lock up.

push in the button to open the door, the lock pushes itself back down.
I keep trying, push push push the lock up with the key, it goes back down when you try to open the door.

drives side - the lock stays up once unlocked - but pushing in the button doesn't open the door. you can hear it just barely catching when you try to open it, but no dice.

I knew this was a possibility, but always had at least one vent wing open to give her the ol reach around, but all the vent wings are locked.

im pretty sure I can jam something around the vent window and then open it from the inside, but DAMNIT - both doors aren't supposed to fail at the SAME TIME!

I have 6 different keys for this beetle. All of them work, none very well though. The ignition you have to try 3 or 12 times sometimes before the key will turn and actually allow you to start it up.

funny how after a car sits for a long time without use that some things work great for a while but start failing one by one with it's newfound usage.
1979 California Transporter

sped372
IAC Addict!

Post by sped372 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 5:37 am

Does it help if you push in on the door at the same time? Might relieve some pressure.
1971 Karmann Ghia - 1600 DP
1984 Westfalia - 1.9 WBX

airkooledchris
IAC Addict!

Post by airkooledchris » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:40 am

no, but the vent wing on the drivers side appears to have been used to break into the car a number of times, as its REAL easy to just jam a screwdriver in there and push the little arm up and open.

I hopped in, jumped it to get going, then drive down the road for a little warmup. Unfortunately it died at a stopsign a few blocks down, so I had to walk back to the house and get my jumper once more (kept it in the beetle this time though thankfully.)

my little girl is nasty sick right now so everything else is on hold, im just glad to get it out of the driveway for now so we can pull our other car up close to the house.
1979 California Transporter

hambone
Post-Industrial Non-Secular Mennonite

Post by hambone » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:00 am

Locks only seem to keep the owners out! :drunken:
http://greencascadia.blogspot.com
http://pdxvolksfolks.blogspot.com
it balances on your head just like a mattress balances on a bottle of wine
your brand new leopard skin pillbox hat