Purchased a '72 Super Beetle

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Purchased a '72 Super Beetle

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:43 am

That's right, I have added a 1302 sedan to my collection of Volkswagens. The car was purchased from a friend of about 15 years now. The car is in very good condition and came with a folder of invoices of work done to the car since about 2002.

I don't remember having heat in a beetle that felt like it was burning my feet! Just pull the heat levers and out comes a rush of warm air!

Clean engine.

Small valve cover gasket leak...

Thanks for looking and if anyone has a rear German bumper for this car, I'd be happy to make some trades with you!

Colin, this is an example of a car that I'd want you to drive and make suggestions of how to make it better, as you've done with my sunroof bus!

I replaced the Compu-Fire coil wih a Bosch Super and I plan to locate an oil bath breather since the one on it just isn't quite stock enough for me. I pulled out the freeze plugs and installed the pre-heater tubes as well.

1968-1979 VW bus sunroof consulting, type IV engine analysis, QA technical work

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:19 pm

That could be a nice car when you are done. Is this a buy/sell car for you or have you been hankering for a bug?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:25 pm

Amskeptic wrote:That could be a nice car when you are done. Is this a buy/sell car for you or have you been hankering for a bug?
Colin
I was at the right place at the right time. You might consider the car to be a Christmas gift, so I should probably keep this one. (would be an excellent daily driver minus salt conditions).

I'm disappointed that I found two bus oil breathers, an oil breather for an injected type III, but not one beetle breather!

p.s. how do I get a nice, tight headliner? The replacement headliner in it has some small wrinkles...

Getting Hooked!

Post by 3072 » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:10 pm

You have a nice beetle VWBusrepairman. 8)

zblair
The Zster

Post by zblair » Sun Dec 21, 2008 7:39 pm

Sweet! :cherry:
1974 T1 Super Beetle "Fweem"
2017 Honda HRV "Domina"

"Love something? Serve it."
~Roshni Mitra

Vdubtech
IAC Addict!

Post by Vdubtech » Thu Jan 15, 2009 8:46 pm

Yo Ryan I didn't forget about you on that air cleaner. I have a lot of those types of parts in plastic totes in the '71 Westy in my backyard....I would need a team of sled dogs just to get to it right now. I'm 99% sure I have a stock oil bath air cleaner for your Beetle though.....

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:33 pm

I really would like a superbeetle like that.. nice!!!! Oh yea, my SB in high school did burn my feet too.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

chitwnvw
Resident Troublemaker

Post by chitwnvw » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:45 pm

What's the difference between the Beetle and the Super Beetle?

IFBwax
IAC Addict!

Post by IFBwax » Thu Jan 15, 2009 9:47 pm

I had a 71 SB growing up and I think it had a flat windshield and a bit more power. My mechanic friend told me to stay away from them now because I guess some body parts are getting hard to find.

But I still want one. My dad had this faded yellow one he bought new, and my brother and I shared this orange/red one. Loved that car.
The best navigators aren't sure where they're going until they get there. And then they're still not sure.

Frank Bama

http://www.partypickle.blogspot.com

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:09 pm

Hiya Chi,
chitwnvw wrote:What's the difference between the Beetle and the Super Beetle?
Basically, there is no difference between a Super and a Standard of the same year from the B pillar back. All of the differences are to be found towards the front of the car.

In 71 and 72 VW marketed the 1302 SuperBeetle in the US. It had a flat winshield just like the standard. In 73 VW introduced the 1303 SuperBeetle. The 1303 had the curved winshield and redesigned dash. So, VWB's new Super is a 1302.

But for the most part, the significant difference between Super and Standard lies in the front suspension. All Supers feature a McPherson front suspension - struts. This front end also forced changes in the front trunk layout. A spare tire in a Super lies flat in the trunk as opposed to the vertical arrangement in a Standard.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:24 am

Bookwus wrote:This front end also forced changes in the front trunk layout. A spare tire in a Super lies flat in the trunk as opposed to the vertical arrangement in a Standard.
Other way around. It was the demand for a larger trunk that necessitated getting rid of the all-the-way-across torsion beam and installing those spidery MacPherson control arms with struts into the fender area. this allowed them to then lay the spare flat. Pretty subtle job in '71 actually, and the '73 curved windshield did a good job reducing the Jimmy Durante schnoz and opening up the windshield area.
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 3:26 am

Excellent information on the 1302 sedan! Aren't the rear air vents something that came with this particular model as well, that wasn't on earlier cars?

Looks like a standard beetle from behind.

The chrome air breather is working for now, VDubtech, but I would like to have the original style one day.

Bulbous hood clearly reveals that this one is a SB.

I calculated 25 MPG and then the speedometer made some noise and quite when the temps dropped lately. Might need a new cable or something...

(I own 2 of the 4 cars in the IAC sign!)

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:01 am

Hiya VWB,
VWBusrepairman wrote:.......Aren't the rear air vents something that came with this particular model as well, that wasn't on earlier cars?
Are we talking the "ears" behind the rear side windows?

If so, those made their first appearance with the 1971 model year. VW did away with the rear window defroster (electrical type) at the end of 1970 production year in favor of "flow-thru" ventilation. But these vents now hold special problems for the restorer. The metal body parts under those ears are often quite rusty. It's a good idea to pull the ears off and check that out. And the plastic vent outlets inside the car have often deteriorated into a crumbly mess. Worse, it's almost impossible to find suitable new vents. I have a source for brand new ones (repops) should you need them.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

VWBusrepairman
IAC Addict!

Post by VWBusrepairman » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:22 am

Bookwus wrote:
Are we talking the "ears" behind the rear side windows?

If so, those made their first appearance with the 1971 model year. VW did away with the rear window defroster (electrical type) at the end of 1970 production year in favor of "flow-thru" ventilation.
Indeed we are- I thought those might have something to do with engine cooling, but it seems as if they are for the rear window defrosting. The plastic grills look like they may have been replaced and it looks like solid metal inside that area on this car.

I believe the super beetle also has a blower mounted up front for defrost, though mine is missing the switch and some other parts up front. (which must be there before I can allow Colin behind the steering wheel) :king:

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Fri Jan 16, 2009 6:47 am

Hiya VWB,
VWBusrepairman wrote:..... The plastic grills look like they may have been replaced and it looks like solid metal inside that area on this car.....
Then consider yourself a very lucky 1302 owner.
....I believe the super beetle also has a blower mounted up front for defrost, though mine is missing the switch and some other parts up front....
Yes. The fan actually lived inside the fresh air box located in the trunk on the other side of the dash. Replacement parts are pretty easy to locate although the smaller hoses for the fresh air box outlets can be problematical.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.