pressure plate damage

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

pressure plate damage

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:00 pm

Any ideas what caused this? It is from my 66 Beetle...I replaced the clutch and pressure plate less than a year ago...
I am going to remove the pressure plate next.

vdubyah73
IAC Addict!

Post by vdubyah73 » Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:53 pm

From what I understand, it's nothing you did. I've seen collapsed pp's before. Some of the less expensive pp's are prone to collapsing. Even a good brand can collapse on occasion. See what others say.

Bill
1/20/2013 end of an error
never owned a gun. have fired a few.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:06 am

vdubyah73 wrote:From what I understand, it's nothing you did. I've seen collapsed pp's before. Some of the less expensive pp's are prone to collapsing. Even a good brand can collapse on occasion. See what others say.

Bill
No others yet....

That makes sense...It worked for almost a year and maybe 6000 miles....
It first started acting up when I pulled out onto the main road when I let up on the clutch pedal... This afternoon I might just get another one.
Thanks Bill

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sat Feb 02, 2008 7:11 am

Hiya Steve,

You do have the correct throwout bearing to match the pressure plate, right?
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:07 am

Bookwus wrote:Hiya Steve,

You do have the correct throwout bearing to match the pressure plate, right?
I would hope so, but maybe not...
Before that pressure plate I had the older style pressure plate.....I'm not sure if I installed a new one then, or just prior to that when I replaced the fly wheel.
Little background as I am remembering....I think I replaced the flywheel and clutch but kept the old pressure plate due to advice from someone...Then a bit later the old style pressure plate broke.

bus71
Addicted!

Post by bus71 » Sat Feb 02, 2008 6:33 pm

Make sure you have the correct TO bearing and clutch crosshaft. Post some pics. We recently replaced the pressure plate in our bug. Same failure, low miles. No good reason, it just failed. Good luck! P.S. Is this a 12v 200mm or 6v 180mm ?

Bookwus
IAC Addict!

Post by Bookwus » Sun Feb 03, 2008 12:35 pm

Hiya Steve,

The pressure plate and the throwout bearing do have to be matched up. There are two different styles of pressure plate and, correspondingly, two different styles of throwout bearing.

The following is a link to a TS sticky (HooBoy with pictures yet! Just the ticket for visual learners like me.) detailing these differences.

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewto ... ut+bearing

However, do know this............pressure plates can fail in just this manner without any help from a mismatched throwout bearing. But I would check the TOB for correct compatibility first.
I have cancer.

It does not have me.

steve74baywin
IAC Addict!

Post by steve74baywin » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:27 am

I'm heading out to buy a new pressure plate and throwout bearing.
So either today or tomorrow I will be test driving it..