Now I've done it

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Now I've done it

Post by asiab3 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 11:36 am

Clarification: FAT bouht RIMCO, not the other way around. And Greg Aaronson sold most of his stake in FAT, but he's still around from time to time.

Currently rocking an unknown $10 swap meet pressure plate with a moment right around 2k while my plate is at DPR for balance… We shall see…

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:15 am

Picked up the cylinders from Lowbugget Friday. Today I'm going to balance the pistons and wrist pins, then measure deck height. I should have done it yesterday, but was fighting with the driver's seat on the Baja (swapped it for a cheap Empi so I can fix the original) and replacing all 4 H7 bulbs in the Saab. Ugh, that's a PITA on that car.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 am

Also, this is what happens when you DON'T follow directions.

There are supposed to be spacers between the slide and the seat itself. I missed that part of the pathetic instructions they shipped with the seat. So the whole thing bent up in the middle. Took some not-so-mild persuasion with a mallet to straighten it back up.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:00 pm

DurocShark wrote:
Sun Feb 11, 2018 8:18 am
Also, this is what happens when you DON'T follow directions.

There are supposed to be spacers between the slide and the seat itself. I missed that part of the pathetic instructions they shipped with the seat. So the whole thing bent up in the middle. Took some not-so-mild persuasion with a mallet to straighten it back up.
Yikes.
I can barely tell what's what there.
Are you talking about the white plastic spacers that help the seat glide back and forth?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Fri Feb 23, 2018 3:03 pm

No, you can sort of see a bit of the mounting bolt at the far left of the slide. On that bolt, between the slide and the vinyl, should be a metal spacer, around 12mm. That slide should be straight from left to right but it's bent because the upholstery is too poofy.

DurocShark
IAC Addict!

Post by DurocShark » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:27 am

So I have the heads on the 1835. The 2180 has developed a chirp and possibly a knock so it's grounded. I need to gather some odds and ends, scrub and paint the tin and new Empi exhaust, and put it together.

This is a frame from the video I did on the heads. Machinist didn't clean up the boogers in the head stud holes. Grrr...

Here's the video if you want to laugh at me. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgJZ-S7HH78