1974 Super beetle, basket case...

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

cegammel
Addicted!

Re: 1974 Super beetle, basket case...

Post by cegammel » Wed Jan 13, 2016 2:07 pm

I (sort of ) understand that I have an amperage drop going to the solenoid...but I have full voltage to the spade on the starter. The only ground in question there is the big one, right? Also, this not a heat soak thing, since it seems to happen more frequently cold. Wire scrubbing is on the agenda for Saturday mornimg.

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Post by asiab3 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 4:23 pm

cegammel wrote:The only ground in question there is the big one, right? Also, this not a heat soak thing, since it seems to happen more frequently cold. Wire scrubbing is on the agenda for Saturday mornimg.
The ground path must go from the starter, to the transaxle, through the strap, to the frame, through the second strap, and into the battery. All connections must be clean. A commonly forgotten "connection" is between the starter and the bell housing. Some rebuilders paint all the contact surfaces, I say nay. Scrub all wire connections on Saturday. :cyclopsani:

Cold non-cranks can sometimes be attributed to thick/petrified grease inside the starter solenoid. Once warmed up, the grease lets things slide easier, but if the solenoid plunger gets held up, it can't complete the circuit to activate the starter motor.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Wed Jan 13, 2016 8:09 pm

You can do a simple Volt-drop test on any junction in the system, both positive and ground...that will tell you where and how much is leaking
'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Thu Jan 14, 2016 10:39 am

As in, hook a voltmeter up red to the connection, black to ground and turn the switch?

dingo
IAC Addict!

Post by dingo » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:48 am

'71 Kombi, 1600 dp

';78 Tranzporter 2L

" Fill what's empty, empty what's full, and scratch where it itches."

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Tue Jan 19, 2016 5:15 pm

Off to a start, of some description. Voltmeter on the ignition wire to the solenoid showed 8.5 volts, from a 12.75 volt battery, resulting in no starter. Seeing the pile of rear defroster wires in the floorboard, I pulled the #10 fuse....or maybe 9...the rear defrost one. Volts went to 10.?, and the starter spun just fine.
The child then woke up and wanted to build a dollhouse, so I'll do more digging next weekend. I hate this dark at 6 junk.

Thanks for the help so far. Bear with me!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Jan 22, 2016 8:02 pm

cegammel wrote:Off to a start, of some description. Voltmeter on the ignition wire to the solenoid showed 8.5 volts, from a 12.75 volt battery, resulting in no starter. Seeing the pile of rear defroster wires in the floorboard, I pulled the #10 fuse....or maybe 9...the rear defrost one. Volts went to 10.?, and the starter spun just fine.
Rear window defogger . . . whuddathunk?
Colin
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Fri Jan 22, 2016 10:43 pm

The rear defogger switch in my dearly departed '70 Squareback ("Anna"; automatic; best mpg: 38) acted as a kill switch. I never bothered fixing it.
Just thought I'd share.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sat Jan 23, 2016 3:49 pm

Acted as a kill switch... on purpose, or due to a fault?

whc03grady
IAC Addict!

Post by whc03grady » Sun Jan 24, 2016 8:39 am

cegammel wrote:Acted as a kill switch... on purpose, or due to a fault?
Due to a fault.
Ludwig--1974 Westfalia, 2.0L (GD035193), Solex 34PDSIT-2/3 carburetors.
Gertie--1971 Squareback, 1600cc with Bosch D-Jetronic fuel injection from a '72 (E brain).
Read about their adventures:
http://www.ludwigandgertie.blogspot.com

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:27 pm

Well, we are now 3 weeks in on the latest round of fixes, and all's well. I cleaned and greased the distributor and replaced the condensor, which seems to have been the cause of my running problems. I pulled the inline fuse on the rear defroster, which seems to have corrected my ignition issue. Today's fun was the headlights...a 20 minute adjustment job turned into 3 hours. Also, my paint is splitting...I assume I mixed the paint incorrectly when shooting. I need to repaint the car this summer anyway, so any ideas on doing it right are greatly appreciated. In the meantime, we are back to running well!

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:07 pm

cegammel wrote: my paint is splitting...
Checking? Peeling off? Is it a failure of the "substrate"?
Colin

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:39 pm

I would think substrate, and in a few places, yes, definitely. It seems I have two issues. The front hood had some disgusting chemical goo, tar perhaps, slathered across it, and a good case of rust underneath. In that area, the paint is chipping away with rust underneathh, despite liberal coats of rust reformer topped with sealing primer. The other issues are occurring mostly on the roof, where the paint is not adhering to the primer. Here, it looks like the paint has shrunk and split, revealing solid grey primer underneath. I am very disappointed in my original sanding, so it all comes off this summer, hopefully. I plan to go with a single stage this time, as the clearcoat I last used has been an awful mess. The clear coat immediately reacted with a drop cloth I was using to protect against rain, leaving a tortoise shell pattern on the roof. Everywhere else, it has bubbled in the last year leaving tiny pocks.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:49 am

cegammel wrote:I would think substrate, and in a few places, yes, definitely. It seems I have two issues. The front hood had some disgusting chemical goo, tar perhaps, slathered across it, and a good case of rust underneath. In that area, the paint is chipping away with rust underneathh, despite liberal coats of rust reformer topped with sealing primer. The other issues are occurring mostly on the roof, where the paint is not adhering to the primer. Here, it looks like the paint has shrunk and split, revealing solid grey primer underneath. I am very disappointed in my original sanding, so it all comes off this summer, hopefully. I plan to go with a single stage this time, as the clearcoat I last used has been an awful mess. The clear coat immediately reacted with a drop cloth I was using to protect against rain, leaving a tortoise shell pattern on the roof. Everywhere else, it has bubbled in the last year leaving tiny pocks.
I hate clearcoat, always have. I believe in single stage enamel. I also believe in a fairly light grey primer coat *over* any rust catalyzing primer when painting visible areas. Rust catalyzing primer needs to be thoroughly dry before grey primer.
Colin

cegammel
Addicted!

Post by cegammel » Mon Feb 29, 2016 2:56 pm

A year into this car, I finally got the rear hubs off...and the oiter bearings came out in pieces with the driver's side. The inner race(?) came out in pieces, so it lools like I will do bearings along with brakes. Thr driver side cylinder is also non-functional, which accounts for my swerving stopping...