Build thread of my 1970 Ghia Vert

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

asiab3
IAC Addict!

Re: Time to refresh the engine and tranny

Post by asiab3 » Mon May 25, 2015 4:18 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:A picture of the engine installed as stock as possible.
Looks good. Paint the generator pulley, schnell.
Colin :bom:
Did they come from the factory painted? My NOS pulley had that gold/galvanized "decel valve" look to it.

Robbie
1969 bus, "Buddy."
145k miles with me.
322k miles on Earth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 26, 2015 9:01 am

asiab3 wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote:A picture of the engine installed as stock as possible.
Looks good. Paint the generator pulley, schnell.
Colin :bom:
Did they come from the factory painted? My NOS pulley had that gold/galvanized "decel valve" look to it.

Robbie
In the day, yes, all the way up into alternator era. Replacement pulleys have a goldish cad II plating which began to show up on more and more parts installed in the cars towards the end. For example, the 1978 BobD had cad II plating on the strainer plate and the taco plate, while the Road Warrior's engine had black in both areas.
Colin
(and the BobD is now black in both areas . . .)
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 26, 2015 10:15 am

Mine was a replacement (VW) pulley with some gold cad plating still on it. Now its painted black....
Geoff
77 Sage Green Westy- CS 2.0L-160,000 miles
70 Ghia vert, black, stock 1600SP,- 139,000 miles,
76 914 2.1L-Nepal Orange- 160,000+ miles
http://bleysengaway.blogspot.com/

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:52 am

We had a great weekend driving the Ghia an hour each way to a friend's party for a "shakedown" trip. The car drove nicely other than a front end shake at 70 mph which might be caused by the tires being flat spotted from sitting so long. We made a slight detour (2 hr delay) to another friend's berry farm along the way which is down a "short dirt road". Short! It was about 1/2 mile long and the freshly waxed ghia was a mess after this side trip.
Back home I washed and cleaned the car up and checked for oil leaks or other problems, none so far!
Scored from a Samba member driving back from the Woodburn Event a decent real live late ghia gas tank with all the proper fittings so once in the gas vapor setup can work again and get rid of the gas smell when it's hot out. The PO had a replacement Beetle gas tank installed which kinda fits but lacks the right fittings, argh.
Also scored is a proper 70 steering column so I can get the horns to work. The one installed is a mix of 70-71 parts which under no conditions will let the horns operate except constantly.
Oh and lastly scored is a Hella Euro rear lens to replace the cracked/repaired one after the Mrs backed into a SUV and busted it (What was the noise Honey? Could you get out and see?) Sourced new these are $125!! Ouch.
Now to setup a temp CHT in the car to see what the CHT readings are driving. Car seems to run pretty cool but you never know.
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 03, 2015 5:21 pm

Bleyseng wrote: Now to setup a temp CHT in the car to see what the CHT readings are driving. Car seems to run pretty cool but you never know.
You never know. Chloe has been 7,000 miles of totally easy 350-370* CHTS until the rainstorm headwinds of two days ago, pow! 426*.

Then, they plummeted back to 350-375* today. Rambunctious cow.
Colin

Lanval
IAC Addict!

Post by Lanval » Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:11 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Bleyseng wrote: Now to setup a temp CHT in the car to see what the CHT readings are driving. Car seems to run pretty cool but you never know.
You never know. Chloe has been 7,000 miles of totally easy 350-370* CHTS until the rainstorm headwinds of two days ago, pow! 426*.

Colin
Is it your belief that the headwinds are the key component? Does it suggest to you that high temps are temporarily (a few hours perhaps) an acceptable running temp on these vans? Is it also possible that being wet reduces the effectiveness of the air-cooling system (I would've expected water to improve cooling)? That seems unlikely, given the overall wetness typical of Germany in both summer and winter.

Thoughts?

L

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:04 pm

Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin
Is it your belief that the headwinds are the key component? Does it suggest to you that high temps are temporarily (a few hours perhaps) an acceptable running temp on these vans? Is it also possible that being wet reduces the effectiveness of the air-cooling system (I would've expected water to improve cooling)? That seems unlikely, given the overall wetness typical of Germany in both summer and winter.

Thoughts?

L
In my experience with a DD CHT on my bus even the slightest headwind will increase head temps. Add in a stiff headwind and the temps really spike. I've also noticed that higher humidity with a warmer day also makes a difference to raise temps.
Chorizo, it's what's for breakfast.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:17 am

Westy78 wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin

Thoughts?

L
In my experience with a DD CHT on my bus even the slightest headwind will increase head temps. Add in a stiff headwind and the temps really spike. I've also noticed that higher humidity with a warmer day also makes a difference to raise temps.
Got numbers, 78 Westy?

I think something screwy is going on with Chloe. The night before yesterday, I got hammered by hail and rain and fierce wind on I-57, and the numbers spiked again AND the numbers were 423* high even when I was just ambling along at 45-50 mph. Checked the engine under a drivethrough canopy, and it was cool to the touch and the dipstick was modest. Couldn't feel the heat at the gauge compensator, either.
Adjusted valves to make sure, and they were totally happy.
Colin??

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:05 am

I think the headwinds are the cause. Driving back from Maupin along the Columbia River 3 times with headwinds I hit 400-425F at 60-65mph in my Westy. Usually I am in the 350-375F range at 70 mph.
Still haven't hook up a CHT setup in the Ghia but I am driving it everyday in this 80-85F sunny Seattle weather with the top down. Transmission is breaking in nicely and it's a joy to shift up or down silently and effortlessly. The stock aftermarket muffler (German) is so quiet that you can talk in the car now even with the top down. Yay! :cheers:
Geoff

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Tue Jun 09, 2015 7:08 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote:
Lanval wrote:
Amskeptic wrote:

Colin

Thoughts?

L
Got numbers, 78 Westy?

I think something screwy is going on with Chloe. The night before yesterday, I got hammered by hail and rain and fierce wind on I-57, and the numbers spiked again AND the numbers were 423* high even when I was just ambling along at 45-50 mph. Checked the engine under a drivethrough canopy, and it was cool to the touch and the dipstick was modest. Couldn't feel the heat at the gauge compensator, either.
Adjusted valves to make sure, and they were totally happy.
Colin??

Coming through the Gorge with a 15+mph headwind and ambient temps in the low 80s I've seen temps spike into the 420-430° range at speeds around 60mph. It would go faster without much effort but not without an even higher butt puckering CHT. Normally I'd be around 370° at that speed. On the reverse side of that, driving in dry high desert Oregon with temps in the 40s I'd struggle to get into the 360° range pushing 75mph. The power was excellent too. Cool, dry, dense air my engine likes.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:45 pm

Westy78 wrote: Coming through the Gorge with a 15+mph headwind and ambient temps in the low 80s I've seen temps spike into the 420-430° range at speeds around 60mph. It would go faster without much effort but not without an even higher butt puckering CHT. Normally I'd be around 370° at that speed. On the reverse side of that, driving in dry high desert Oregon with temps in the 40s I'd struggle to get into the 360° range pushing 75mph. The power was excellent too. Cool, dry, dense air my engine likes.
This is a Raby recipe built by you, yes? Did you have the 420* readings early on?
Cheesehead needs to read this. She has not been driving her bus (Raby recipe built locally) half so much because she shuts it all down at 400-410*.

You know that the BobD gave me 410*-424* at an ambient of 118* on a horrendously long 16 mile grade outside of Baker, yes? And it would drop to 407* as the car slowed on the steeper parts? I wondered if the Raby recipe (additional power at partial throttle) maybe prevents the "power circuit" from "engaging" ? L-Jet reads the position of the wiper at full throttle and perhaps calibrates based on primary switching frequency (I have to say it that way because you don't have breaker points). I have no idea what I am talking about. Last year the gauge played cruel games and sometimes displayed 385* at 70 mph in well over 100* ambient, then it would add 50* for fun. DD told me I must have installed the yellow wire end-for-end incorrectly.

I will flog Chloe on the way to Minnesota and hopefully will be able to compare the full throttle long hills in the rain back in Illinois against the hills of Minnesota in the dry and see if they spike again . . .
Colin

Westy78
IAC Addict!

Post by Westy78 » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:37 pm

Amskeptic wrote:
Westy78 wrote: Coming through the Gorge with a 15+mph headwind and ambient temps in the low 80s I've seen temps spike into the 420-430° range at speeds around 60mph. It would go faster without much effort but not without an even higher butt puckering CHT. Normally I'd be around 370° at that speed. On the reverse side of that, driving in dry high desert Oregon with temps in the 40s I'd struggle to get into the 360° range pushing 75mph. The power was excellent too. Cool, dry, dense air my engine likes.
This is a Raby recipe built by you, yes? Did you have the 420* readings early on?
Cheesehead needs to read this. She has not been driving her bus (Raby recipe built locally) half so much because she shuts it all down at 400-410*.

You know that the BobD gave me 410*-424* at an ambient of 118* on a horrendously long 16 mile grade outside of Baker, yes? And it would drop to 407* as the car slowed on the steeper parts? I wondered if the Raby recipe (additional power at partial throttle) maybe prevents the "power circuit" from "engaging" ? L-Jet reads the position of the wiper at full throttle and perhaps calibrates based on primary switching frequency (I have to say it that way because you don't have breaker points). I have no idea what I am talking about. Last year the gauge played cruel games and sometimes displayed 385* at 70 mph in well over 100* ambient, then it would add 50* for fun. DD told me I must have installed the yellow wire end-for-end incorrectly.

I will flog Chloe on the way to Minnesota and hopefully will be able to compare the full throttle long hills in the rain back in Illinois against the hills of Minnesota in the dry and see if they spike again . . .
Colin
Yes, Camper Special built by me. Pretty much have always had those kind of temps in certain conditions. Mostly head wind high temp days. I've also seen it settle into a nice 380° +/- a few cruising at 75mph with 90+ ambient temps on the highway. This, loaded to the gills for camping and towing the scooter behind me. :dontknow: I use to be concerned about the higher temps but now I just check the valves and they've always been just fine. That and the fact that the heads were done by Len Hoffman gives me a little more comfort.

There are a couple factors that could be leading to the higher temps than what Jake usually quoted for this engine. First, when I built the engine I wasn't able to get ideal deck height/compression ratio for the combo without extra needed work that was deemed more effort than needed. The ideal for the combo should have been close to 7.8 but I think I ended up closer to 7.4 iirc. I'd have to check my records. Second, I have that later built, lower quality Mallory distributor that bounces the timing around +- 3° at the top end. Hard to dial in a perfect tune with that. I never have tested my DD against a known temp to see how accurate it was either....I'd be curious what Wayne is seeing for temps on his engine now. His was built by Jake.

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Tue May 31, 2016 10:43 pm

Got the Ghia ready for summer by installing new front calipers, discs, bearings, tuneup and oil change.
Yes, I did refinish the old rusty backing plate...
Geoff

Bleyseng
IAC Addict!

Post by Bleyseng » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:22 am

Yep, Colin finally got to drive and see my 1970 Vert Ghia with it's almost 99% stock engine. For a 1600 SP it goes pretty damn good with a 914 2.0L dizzy. The swap meet dizzy I bought has a dead vacuum advance can (of course) but Ken @thebusco is coming thru for me with a correct vacuum can so I can return the ghia to 100% stock.

Next day of car mechanicing, I will change out to the rebuild petal assembly and grease the squeaky clutch cable....
07 WA 08.jpg
07 WA 08.jpg (81.35 KiB) Viewed 6647 times
Geoff

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:29 am

Bleyseng wrote:
Next day of car mechanicing, I will change out to the rebuild petal assembly and grease the squeaky clutch cable....07 WA 08.jpg
It is a great looking car. You seem to hew to its essential spirit.
Colin