carb problem?

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

zabo
Old School!

carb problem?

Post by zabo » Thu Aug 09, 2012 7:47 am

so yesterday i started noticing a little stumble. I checked all the usual-timing/points etc..

Then i noticed a hissing from the carb. I took off the air cleaner and noticed it was coming from the around the tube that goes into the upper body from the bowl.
Looks like gas is bubbling through around the tube.
Could this be my problem? any good fixes? its a 28pict, would sticking float cause this?
thanks
60 beetle
78 bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Re: carb problem?

Post by Hippie » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:09 pm

That's a new one. Sound like the vent tube is leaking around its seam where it goes though. Maybe over-full bowl, too. I don't know if the part that goes through is supposed to be submerged or not, but it probably shouldn't let fuel around its outside anyway.

RSorak 71Westy
IAC Addict!

Post by RSorak 71Westy » Fri Aug 10, 2012 2:00 am

Yes this could very well be sticking float rap on the top of the carb before you take it apart
Take care,
Rick
Stock 1600 w/dual Solex 34's and header. mildly ported heads and EMPI elephant's feet. SVDA W/pertronix. 73 Thing has been sold. BTW I am a pro wrench have been fixing cars for living for over 30 yrs.

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:24 am

Hippie wrote:Sound like the vent tube is leaking around its seam where it goes though.

thats exactly whats happening-

RSorak- I'll try to unstick the float this morning and take a closer look.
Thanks guys
60 beetle
78 bus

zabo
Old School!

Post by zabo » Fri Aug 10, 2012 7:42 am

well geez- i took a closer look this morning and took the top of the carb. the float looked good- not leaking or stuck.
But while i had it open i gave the throttle a few tugs and noticed gas squirting out of the pump cover.

I picked up a rebuild kit on the way to work so ill try that this weekend and see how it goes.
60 beetle
78 bus

Hippie
IAC Addict!

Post by Hippie » Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:35 pm

Glad you may have found it!