Annoyances

Beetle, Karmann Ghia, Thing.

Moderators: Sluggo, Amskeptic

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Annoyances

Post by ruckman101 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:31 pm

So I finally got the blockage in the tube routed out enough to feed a new heater control cable through on the Ghia. Spanking new barrel clamps ... and the cable ends are too fat to fit. I had to sand them down. Annoying.

Another annoying. New engine seals, and the rear seal blocks the tube from the engine the accelerator cable feeds through. Sure would have been easier to slice a chunk out of the seal before the engine went in.

Annoyed,
neal
The slipper has no teeth.

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Re: Annoyances

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:23 pm

ruckman101 wrote:So I finally got the blockage in the tube routed out enough to feed a new heater control cable through on the Ghia. Spanking new barrel clamps ... and the cable ends are too fat to fit. I had to sand them down. Annoying.

Another annoying. New engine seals, and the rear seal blocks the tube from the engine the accelerator cable feeds through. Sure would have been easier to slice a chunk out of the seal before the engine went in.

Annoyed,
neal
Here's another annoyance for you. This is going to Type 1.
Colin :bom:
BobD - 78 Bus . . . 112,730 miles
Chloe - 70 bus . . . 217,593 miles
Naranja - 77 Westy . . . 142,970 miles
Pluck - 1973 Squareback . . . . . . 55,600 miles
Alexus - 91 Lexus LS400 . . . 96,675 miles

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:30 pm

#-o Doh!

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Fri Apr 20, 2012 6:08 pm

ruckman101 wrote:#-o Doh!

neal
Are those new seals just too thick to clear accelerator cable route? I remember the factory ones as being flexible and compliant.

ruckman101
Lord God King Bwana

Post by ruckman101 » Tue May 01, 2012 8:29 pm

Poked a hole through the seal finally.

Folks have suggesting in conversation that I have the wrong seal. It's the same as what I used around the engine in Bertha Bus. Slides into the channel on the chassis with two long tongues from there, one above, one below the engine tin. But what was suggested had but a single tongue, or flap rather than two.

So I didn't bother to try to orient a flap up at a 90 degree angle with the back seal in the Gretchen Ghia, just have the engine crammed up against and pushing both flaps down.

It did strike me as odd that the application didn't strike me with the intelligence of the design and engineering I've been encountering that has wrought many a moment of thankful respect, artful resolutions.

It seemed less than an ideal mate, that back seal and engine. Less than the elegance of purposeful design I've been growing to appreciate every day.

neal

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Tue May 01, 2012 8:38 pm

ruckman101 wrote:Poked a hole through the seal finally.

Folks have suggesting in conversation that I have the wrong seal. It's the same as what I used around the engine in Bertha Bus. Slides into the channel on the chassis with two long tongues from there, one above, one below the engine tin. But what was suggested had but a single tongue, or flap rather than two.

So I didn't bother to try to orient a flap up at a 90 degree angle with the back seal in the Gretchen Ghia, just have the engine crammed up against and pushing both flaps down.

It did strike me as odd that the application didn't strike me with the intelligence of the design and engineering I've been encountering that has wrought many a moment of thankful respect, artful resolutions.

It seemed less than an ideal mate, that back seal and engine. Less than the elegance of purposeful design I've been growing to appreciate every day.

neal
Replacement seals are to original seals as an anvil is to a laproscopic laser scalpel.
Colin

DjEep
IAC Addict!

Post by DjEep » Fri May 04, 2012 11:41 am

I had the same problem yesterday with heater cables and barrel nuts. WTF is wrong with this world.

Also, put a brand new clutch fork shaft in a bus the other day, only to have to pull the engine back out when the clutch would not adjust. Turned out the fork on the new shaft was off by about 15 degrees. Ended up just pulling an old one from a core, worked perfect. Why?!? Why can't anything be made right anymore?!? We have gone from manufacturing future garbage to straight up manufacturing garbage. Also, just put an engine together for a kid from Alaska. His 1800 broke the cam gear with less than 20k miles. I found teeth in the case, and upon picking them up, I was astounded by the shoddiness of the metal. It was like pressed metal foam. More air than aluminum. I have toy buses with better metallurgy.
"Live life, love life. Enjoy the pleasures and the sorrows. For it is the bleak valleys, the dark corners that make the peaks all the more magnificent. And once you realize that, you begin to see the beauty hidden within those valleys, and learn to love the climb." - Anonymous

Do you want to Survive? Or do you want to LIVE?

Amskeptic
IAC "Help Desk"
IAC "Help Desk"

Post by Amskeptic » Mon May 07, 2012 4:12 pm

DjEep wrote:I had the same problem yesterday with heater cables and barrel nuts. WTF is wrong with this world.

Also, put a brand new clutch fork shaft in a bus the other day, only to have to pull the engine back out when the clutch would not adjust. Turned out the fork on the new shaft was off by about 15 degrees. Ended up just pulling an old one from a core, worked perfect. Why?!? Why can't anything be made right anymore?!? We have gone from manufacturing future garbage to straight up manufacturing garbage. Also, just put an engine together for a kid from Alaska. His 1800 broke the cam gear with less than 20k miles. I found teeth in the case, and upon picking them up, I was astounded by the shoddiness of the metal. It was like pressed metal foam. More air than aluminum. I have toy buses with better metallurgy.
In the Type 1 Forum, may I postulate that the movers and the shakers and the manufacturers of modern capitalist trash have descended into the terminal sickness of their addiction to comfort and ease and greed. As addicts, they will continue to starve their producers and take out the meat of their manufacture. Nothing can stop an addiction but serious intervention. . . and it is coming.
Colin